• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bedding Pillars on FN SPR

zombiekilla

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada
For most of you who owns a McMillan A3-5 Stock. Do you have the bedding job done?
Is it neccessary? I've heard from a gunsmith told me that it's not needed, and yet I've heard otherwise.

I also own a PBR, which with a Hogue stock with bedding pillars, and I can get it to 1/4MOA.

Any suggestion on my SPR will be greatly appreciated!

Re: Bedding Pillars on FN SPR

This is from McMillan

<span style="font-style: italic">You might ask FN this question, we just produce the stocks to FN’s specifications on their purchase orders. Also, I think many of your fellow shooters are quite mis-informed or un-informed about pillars and bedding. There is no such thing as “pillar bedded”. Pillars are simply aluminum pillars around the guard screw holes in a stock. Their sole and only function is to prevent excessive guard screw tension from compressing a soft stock material and shortening the distance between the bottom of the action and the floorplate. They have absolutely nothing to do with bedding. If they are not in a stock simply tighten your guard screws to a normal 30 to 40 in. lb. range and you will have no problem. This 65 in. lb. B.S. that everybody talks about is just B.S. I think it comes from the thought process that says that if “X” is proper and good enough then twice “X” must be twice as good and twice as proper, even if it breaks something.

Glass bedding is a process of “bedding” a particular action to a particular stock with an epoxy resin based bedding compound to reduce any manufacturing tolerances down to “zero”. This may or may not affect the accuracy potential of the rifle. It is not necessary on our stocks as they are CNC machined to factory drop-in spec’s, but is just an option you have. Again it may or may not affect the accuracy potential of the rifle. This is something that can be done at any time in a rifles life. It’s fairly expensive, usually in the $150 to $300 range. You can see any local gunsmith about having this done to your rifle if you want, and if FN had had it done it would have increased the retail price of your rifle by at least this much to start with. Probably more because of their necessary profit margin. It will actually cost you less money to simply have it done yourself.

Regards, McMillans</span>

I thought the 65inch pounds came from the H-S stock? When Remington started to use H-S stocks the torque became a factor. Because of the design of the aluminum bedding block it acted as wedge. I remember several articles claiming that 65 in pounds was the perfect torque.

With that said I have FN A-3 from GAP that is not pillar bedded. It is just glass bedded and it shoots as good as anything out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zombiekilla</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For most of you who owns a McMillan A3-5 Stock. Do you have the bedding job done?
Is it neccessary? I've heard from a gunsmith told me that it's not needed, and yet I've heard otherwise.

I also own a PBR, which with a Hogue stock with bedding pillars, and I can get it to 1/4MOA.

Any suggestion on my SPR will be greatly appreciated! </div></div>

If you're content with a Hogue stock, then there's probably no need for you to have a McMillan bedded, pillars or not.