• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Bench only Bipod?

Kalman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2011
Dallas, TX
I've been looking at bi-pods and after reading lots of review threads, such as this one, I'm thinking I want a versa pod. I hate the exposed springs on the harris (asthetics reasons only) and have heard a lot of negatives about their propensity to hop.

The one thing I'm concerned about is the height range. My wife shoots my rifle as well, and well sitting at a bench she a woman (surprising I know) and as such, she sets up at least 1-2" shorter than I do. Lately she's taken to putting sandbags on the seat to raise her self up the 1-2"s.

I'm not real sure what height range to get to be comfortable. I'm thinking 7ish inches, but that's really based off what I've read and not sure if I need to take a ruler to the range and measure my sandbag setup or what.

Is there another hop-resistant, non-300$ bipod I should be looking at? What's the best way to figure out what height bi-pod I should buy, measure it at the range? Is there something I'm missing in my quest to replace sandbags?

Re: Bench only Bipod?

Bah, this should have been in the equipment section, can a mod please move it?

I have owned bipods by Sako, AI, Atlas, Versapod and Harris.
I have used Harris bipods for many years and have yet to have one fail.
The 6-9" model with swivel and notches is the best bang for the buck out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned bipods by Sako, AI, Atlas, Versapod and Harris.
The 6-9" model with swivel and notches is the best bang for the buck out there. </div></div> You mean the harris or which?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, the Harris. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I would also suggest getting it and a KMW Pod Lok from Triad. They have great service and best price on them:

http://www.triadtactical.com/Harris-Bi-pod-6-9-Swivel-Notched-leg.html </div></div>
Why do you prefer the Harris over the Versapod?

My opinion is based off the Versapod from maybe five years ago. If they have made changes to it since then I am unaware. I did not like the fact that you had to have the adaptor to install it. It seemed to be a fairly robust piece so that wasn't an issue. The other thing, IIRC, was that it could not be locked in place. It also didn't have notched legs then.
The Harris is tough, time proven and versatile. It swivels, making it easy to level the rifle, but locks to keep you level. Add the Pod Lok and it makes locking it in place a piece of cake. The leg notches allow you to instantly know both legs are extended the same distance and keeps them from collapsing during use. They go on off easy and fit any type sling stud.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YN*Dotte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are worried about the Harris hopping, get ski feet. Works great for bench, and can work well on the ground also, if you are no super serious about loading the legs.

http://www.coretacsolutions.com/products_skifeet.htm </div></div>
That's the biggest thing is I don't want it hopping. I really don't like the exposed springs on the harris either though. Gah, so many options.
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YN*Dotte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are worried about the Harris hopping, get ski feet. Works great for bench, and can work well on the ground also, if you are no super serious about loading the legs.

That's the biggest thing is I don't want it hopping. I really don't like the exposed springs on the harris either though. Gah, so many options.
frown.gif
</div></div>

Well, you could always order the Atlas bipod, wait 3 or 4 months and spend enough to buy 3 Harris bipods. That would be my second choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YN*Dotte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are worried about the Harris hopping, get ski feet. Works great for bench, and can work well on the ground also, if you are no super serious about loading the legs.

frown.gif
</div></div>

Well, you could always order the Atlas bipod, wait 3 or 4 months and spend enough to buy 3 Harris bipods. That would be my second choice. </div></div>
Ok so... why is the versa pod a bad choice?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My opinion is based off the Versapod from maybe five years ago. If they have made changes to it since then I am unaware. I did not like the fact that you had to have the adaptor to install it. It seemed to be a fairly robust piece so that wasn't an issue. The other thing, IIRC, was that it could not be locked in place. It also didn't have notched legs then.</div></div>
From what I can tell they did change some of the design a few years ago, but it's not real clear.

shoot4fun "Well, you could always order the Atlas bipod, wait 3 or 4 months and spend enough to buy 3 Harris bipods. That would be my second choice."

That is a complete exaggeration!

First, We are only 2.5 months behind on orders.

And 2nd, you can buy a train load of Harris bipods or all the Harris Knock-offs in the world, for the cost of plain jane Atlas!!!

sheeeesh
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kasey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shoot4fun "Well, you could always order the Atlas bipod, wait 3 or 4 months and spend enough to buy 3 Harris bipods. That would be my second choice."

That is a complete exaggeration!

First, We are only 2.5 months behind on orders.

And 2nd, you can buy a train load of Harris bipods or all the Harris Knock-offs in the world, for the cost of plain jane Atlas!!!

sheeeesh
smile.gif
</div></div>

WOOPS! Sorry! I guess I should have added that the Atlas is worth every penny. But if it helps, I do have quite a few Atlas monopods.
smile.gif

My Versa Pod didn't have a friction lock like they offer now.
So, let me see if I understand. You don't like the way the springs look on a Harris but you don't object to having to buy and install one of those ugly ass adaptors to be able to use the Versa Pod?
Well I guess my answer to your question is..........

Uh, its not. I think you and your new Versa Pod will be very happy together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Versa Pod didn't have a friction lock like they offer now.
So, let me see if I understand. You don't like the way the springs look on a Harris but you don't object to having to buy and install one of those ugly ass adaptors to be able to use the Versa Pod?

</div></div>

Maybe I need to google up some images installed on rifles or something.

Buy once, cry once. I got my first Atlas last year and thought, I'll get one for my main rifle and use Harris bipods for my other ones. I now own more Atlas bipods than I do Harris ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Versa Pod didn't have a friction lock like they offer now.

</div></div>

Maybe I need to google up some images installed on rifles or something. </div></div>

The adapters look WAY worse than the springs on the Harris. Takes away from the look of a nice stick.

Hrmm... doing some browsing now, didn't realize atlas were only 220. I thought they were 300ish. Might have to do some serious thinking about an atlas instead.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned bipods by Sako, AI, Atlas, Versapod and Harris.
The 6-9" model with swivel and notches is the best bang for the buck out there. </div></div>

I concur. There are so many ways for a shooter to spend more than is necessary to accomplish a task. I think bipods are one of those items. I use the Harris 6-9" w/notched legs and swivel. Only my hairdresser knows for sure that I didn't spend $200-$300 dollars.