• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bergara B-14R Range Report and Assessment

Are you serious? I must have rang your bell pretty bad?

"Simply put, go f**k yourself. You made a stupid post that likely reflects what you really know about building rifles and now you send me a bullshit PM because I called out what made no sense whatsoever. You "exulted" yourself in the PM you just wrote about building "match grade" rifles for "45 years which have established world records" and you come at me about an ego and talk about having nothing to prove? You say you won't "blow your own horn" but that's exactly what you just did. Take it somewhere else Dude....

MB"

Last edited:
No sir, that's not what I'm saying at all, but that's not what the above bushing represents. A "plug" can certainly be installed, adhesed, bored and threaded, but why would one do that instead of qualifying the threads that are already there?

MB
KOD said " That will standardize the threads for if I decide later on I want a different barrel it won't be so expensive nor difficult to change. Barrel wise, "

Mark Penrod, correct spelling, has established himself in the world of accuracy by both building and shooting the guns he builds. That is NOT hearsay.

Reactions: Ncbrshooter
Do you actually have something to contribute? You sent me a PM because you were pissed that I quoted your post and now you want to carry on like this? You said you won't "blow your own horn on a public forum," but you can carry on like a child? But, you mentioned the horn after you told me you've been building "match grade" rifles for 45 years that have established world records and you've set three records yourself....Either contribute according to your stated experience or take it to RFC.

MB

PM
"My life is a public record, you can find it in magazines and other media. Yours is ?
Dan Carey

KOD said " That will standardize the threads for if I decide later on I want a different barrel it won't be so expensive nor difficult to change. Barrel wise, "

So will qualifying the threads that are already there.

MB

So will qualifying the threads that are already there.

MB
Dude go back and read KOD's posts. KOD said "

Mark Penrod has the Shilen barrels on the shelf and can turn this project around rather quickly instead of months if he had to find a larger blank and turn it down. Plus this way is a lot cheaper. "

Dude go back and read KOD's posts. KOD said "

Mark Penrod has the Shilen barrels on the shelf and can turn this project around rather quickly instead of months if he had to find a larger blank and turn it down. Plus this way is a lot cheaper. "

Ok, that makes sense, I missed that part. Most of what I'm saying is referencing info I received via PM, which didn't mention the blanks on the shelf. Thanks for working through it....

MB

Some of the greatest BR actions such as Stolle panda, or the teddy have a bushing or a sleeve where the barrel screws in.. if it’s done right like Mr Bush is saying it can be straight and true. I know that Mr Penrod is one of the best rimfire smiths in the country and I am sure that he has his secrets and ways of doing things.
I hope your rifle turns out great KOD, and I am looking forward to seeing the results!

Mike Bush, it says a lot that your trying to help KOD out, and taking fire in these threads the way you do really speaks volumes for you and your company! Rock on Vudoo! Keep stirring it up and btw my Vudoo is perfect and shoots tiny, and by far my favorite rifle I have ever owned!

Well, I had no idea this kind of ruckus would begin. Thank you all for the support. Really, everyone has been a big help even when they didn't have to be and I am thankful and grateful for that.

Mark has had success at this before. After all I have read and heard about Mark I have the utmost confidence in his work. He guaranteed me it would shoot and he also said after he was done with it the barrel nut and .920" barrel would look great and like it belonged there.

Last night I was thinking about pitfalls to this barrel change. The only problem area I came up is the Bergara HMR stock and if the barrel nut/reducer will fit but not only that, I don't think the .920" barrel will fit at the end of the stock. I have already sent Mark an email voicing my concerns and to get back with me as soon as he could to discuss options.

The B-14R being based on the R700 I don't mind buying another stock/chassis. If I buy something it has to fit without modification. I know the .920" barrel will not be an issue but the barrel nut may. Does anyone have recommendations on what will work without modifying? If I have to modify I might as well do it all on the HMR stock.

Reactions: grapo
Looking at my gun I think you’ll have plenty of room.. if not the stock is easily relieved.

if you get a stock, you can almost sell the hmr stock for what a krg bravo goes for..

Looking at my gun I think you’ll have plenty of room.. if not the stock is easily relieved.

if you get a stock, you can almost sell the hmr stock for what a krg bravo goes for..
I take it you are looking at a B-14R in the factory stock?

Mark Penrod replied to my email. His exact and only words....."tons of room". LOL, so I guess there won't be any problems after all. That will save some money.

Reactions: ta6ppc
Does anyone know if this rifle qualifies for ARA factory class? I haven’t been able to find an MSRP. The Bergara website doesn’t give any info on this rifle other than listing it.

Does anyone know if this rifle qualifies for ARA factory class? I haven’t been able to find an MSRP. The Bergara website doesn’t give any info on this rifle other than listing it.
Sorry, just checked again and info is there. The answer to my question is no, it’s over the $1k msrp. Too bad.

I haven't posted in this thread for a while. Have been shooting the B14R with similar results to those posted previously. I decided to try my hand at glass bedding the HMR stock (first rifle I've ever attempted this on myself).

Has anyone else done this and what were your results? I'll try to get mine to the range tomorrow to see if there is any appreciable difference.

And a pic mid process last night; roughed up the area around the recoil lug recess, front action screw and rear tang removing the factory paint from the aluminum bedding blocks. Also drilled 5 shallow holes between the recoil lug and forward action screw and 3 around the rear tang hoping that would give the epoxy something more to adhere to.

Attachments

• bergara bedding.jpeg
    bergara bedding.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 149
Looking forward to seeing the results. I plan on calling Mark Penrod on Monday to get an update on mine.

Went to the range today, but they were full and I didn't feel like waiting around. For this type of accuracy testing I prefer to use a local indoor range that has underground 100yd rifle lanes so that I can shoot in a no wind environment. General elk season opens here tomorrow, I should have known they'd be busy. I'll try again tomorrow morning but no guarantees being it's a Saturday. If not tomorrow I'll certainly get a chance Monday, and of course I'll update with whatever the results may be.

Went to the range today, but they were full and I didn't feel like waiting around. For this type of accuracy testing I prefer to use a local indoor range that has underground 100yd rifle lanes so that I can shoot in a no wind environment. General elk season opens here tomorrow, I should have known they'd be busy. I'll try again tomorrow morning but no guarantees being it's a Saturday. If not tomorrow I'll certainly get a chance Monday, and of course I'll update with whatever the results may be.
Indoor 100 yard range. Nice.

So results from bedding the HMR stock on my B14R are.....inconclusive.

ammo spreadsheet.jpg

These are the averages of 5 round groups measured CTC at 50 yards from the same lot of ammo, measured in inches.

Some are better after bedding, some are worse. Something interesting happened with the Eley club - In the six unsuppresed groups of the bedded rifle, 4 measured under .3 CTC (.293, .183, .277, .277) and two of the groups were complete crap, .933 and .965. The same lot of ammo before bedding had a similar trend, two groups out of 10 measured .840 and .965 and the rest of the groups were notably better in the .372 - .683 range. Obviously in this case the "good" groups after bedding were considerably better than the "good" groups before bedding.

I think more testing is in order.

Below are the test targets from yesterday as well as a pic from the shooting booth.

Attachments

• Center-X 10-3-20.jpg
    Center-X 10-3-20.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Eley Club 10-3-20.jpg
    Eley Club 10-3-20.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Eley Rem Club 10-3-20.jpg
    Eley Rem Club 10-3-20.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 100
  • SK Stnd + 10-3-20.jpg
    SK Stnd + 10-3-20.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 89
  • SK RM 10-3-20.jpg
    SK RM 10-3-20.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Indoor range.jpg
    Indoor range.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 116
So my club held our last 100yd rimfire varmint shoot of the season on Sunday. It was a chilly 50 degrees and raining but no wind (Michigan fall) considering the last time I shot the Bergara it was it was a good ten degrees warmer so I wasn't sure how my lot of Center - X was going to perform. So we set up(bipod and rear bag for me) and shot our course of fire which is 6 shots on 5 targets the first target wasn't great but held the 10 point area with one round that was on the edge then the rest fell into place and I shot my first 300 score. Here are the targets with the second being a .74" group. The one shot on the first target I was actually holding for the lower x ring. Set up is Bergara B14R with Crimson Trace 6-24x56 ffp
20201004_155011[1].jpg20201004_155000.jpg20201004_154950.jpg20201004_154941.jpg20201004_154924.jpg

Last edited:
More results from the B14R, post-bedding of the HMR stock. I can update this post later with pictures of today's targets if anyone cares to see them, otherwise I'll just post the numbers (average of all groups measured outside to outside in inches minus .222"). Everything today was shot indoors at 50 yards unsuppressed. I started by shooting 4 groups per ammo type at one target for the sake of settling in the barrel for each ammo then a 6x5 on a separate target.

The majority of the bedded averages are better than before bedding with the noticeable exception of SK Pistol Match Special, however the ammo wasn't from the same lot so perhaps the lot I shot before bedding was just better. Otherwise everything else is from the same lot.

Technically I shot my best 6x5 today with Lapua OSP at an average of .257" and best group .184", but it was the last 3 groups of the first target and first 3 groups of the second target so I don't really count it :LOL:

ammo spreadsheet2.jpg

This is a big issue for me as well, because I planned on primarily shooting it with a can. When I used my alignment rod I could feel it hit at least three baffles in my can.

I actually received a quick response from them this morning. They emailed me a return label and repair ticket, but they told me it would be a 4-6 week turn around. Needless to say I was quite unhappy about that news and replied saying so. I received a prompt call from them shortly after my reply. They upgraded my shipping to overnight but still 4-6 week turnaround. They told me it’s because this is a busy time of year for them with hunting season coming up and between CVA and Bergara they only have three gunsmiths on hand for repairs.

They are going to make it right, but it’s just aggravating to buy a new rifle and have to send back immediately.
You have bought yours already so you shouldn't be waiting in line for basically the second time. Looks like I'll be going a different route.

When I first seen my CF barrel the CF to steel fit on both ends was the first thing I inspected. Mine looks normal.

To add another data point I took my B14R back out to check the zero on my Burris RT25 I'm reviewing and get dope out to 300 yards as I figure out what ammo i'm going to consistently shoot out of the rifle. The rifle is stock with no upgrades like bedding or aftermarket trigger. The trigger has been adjusted to just a shade under 2 1/2 lbs and the action screws were torqued to 30 in/lbs. i had SK Long Range, SK Rifle Match, and Lapua Center X with me. I shot four five shot groups each at 50 yards and they were pretty good across the board but my rifle appears to like SK Long Range the most.

SK Long Range - .313" / .562" / .625" / .375" - Total Average = .469"

SK Rifle Match - .500" / .375" / .875" / .375" - Total Average = .531"

Lapua Center X - .562" / .562" .375" / .562" - Total Average = .515"

Going out to 200 and 300 yards both Rifle Match and Center X seemed to struggle to get consistent hits on steel at those ranges. Even when the break felt good and I was confident in the dope, I'd just see splashes in the dirt, I can't really explain it other than my rifle just doesn't seem to like those two. Running the LR at 200 and 300 I was getting consistent hits on not just the steel but even managed hits on the golf ball at 200 and tennis ball at 300 yards. At 106 yards I was cleaning the berm of remnant clay pigeon chips.

Dope for the day @ 1400' DA was:

106 - 2.1 mils
200 - 7.0 mils
300 - 13.6 mils

It seems like the more I shoot this rifle the more I like it.

Story of my life....all it takes is one shot and one group to screw up a good thing. Still good shooting.

This is great thanks. I love my CZ 457 ProVarmint, but I have a feeling dad will be going home to SC with that in the spring. I have a B14 HMR in 6.5 I like a lot and may grab one of these to replace my CZ.

Now that people have put quite a few rounds through these, does the bolt lift and close get any easier? I handled a new one and the bolt close was stiff as hell.

Now that people have put quite a few rounds through these, does the bolt lift and close get any easier? I handled a new one and the bolt close was stiff as hell.
What I am feeling with the bolt close on mine is the bullet engraving in the rifling, which I consider ideal.

Reactions: Boatninja
Mine was great, adding the B&A TacSport Pro made it quite a bit more stiff.

Mine was great, adding the B&A TacSport Pro made it quite a bit more stiff.
I put a Jewell HVRTS in mine and it is stiffer as well. It is so stiff when already cocked I had to unscrew the bolt shroud a turn for it to be usable. I'd love to know the cause of this. Sear height?

I noticed my Bergara has a stiff bolt close as well. If I run it fast I don't notice it. I believe its the firing pin cocking on close and it's just a rimfire thing. If I run it deliberately it's not an issue.

I've noticed the frequent flier with my B14R Carbon barrel as well. It's hard to say if it's legitimate tho because there's been such heavy winds lately.

I've got to say though I really like the rifle, heads and shoulders in build quality above my Savage MkII.

I have been getting one other issue, on occasion when going to a cold range i'll try to extract an unfired round and it won't catch.

This issue isn't repeatable though and is very infrequent.

I'll post some groups with Eley Contact, Force, Minimags, and AE 45gr on tuesday.

AE 45 grain. That's a weird one. Hunting ammo, I assume?

Rifles Plus Scope.JPG
Rifles.JPG
\

Had a good day at the range today, fired some Eley Contact, Eley Force, CCI Minimags, Aguila Extra Velocity, and American Eagle 45 gr. All the targets were shot @ 50 yards. I shot two separate 5 round groups and 1 ten round group. I did 20 rounds with one the B14R first (Left side) and then 20 rounds with the Savage Mk II in a Oryx Chassis (Right Side). The B14R Carbon has a NF 2.5-10x42 and the Savage MKII has a SWFA 10x42.

Eley Contact.jpg

Eley Contact

Eley Force.jpg

Eley Force

CCI Minimag.jpg

CCI Minimag. I could only count 4 holes on the middle right target, I couldn't find the 5th hole anywhere.

Aguila EV.jpg

Aguila EV. I could only count 4 holes on the top left box. I wasn't able to find the 5th hole anywhere on the target.

AE45GR.jpg

American Eagle 45 gr.

It was a good day out shooting, minimal wind. I have some Lapua Center-X on order so i'll see how that one groups when I get the ammo on hand. Next time i'll take it out to 100 yards.

Little bit less of an exciting today as the range as very busy so I wasn't able to get through as many strings as fire as I wanted. But I did have time to hit the 100 yard with some match grade ammo (Lapua Center X).

Same rifles, Savage MKII (SWFA 10x42) and a B14R (NF 2.5-10x42). All shots were taken off a bipod and with rear bag.

Next order of business will be trying different torque settings on the B14R Chassis, as of right now its running at the stock torque settings. Savage MKII is 20 inch pounds on front and rear screw.

Savage MKII.jpg
SavageMKIILapuaCenter X.JPG

This was very surprising to me at 100 yards with my cheap old savage.

B14R.jpg
B14 Lapua CenterX.JPG

Top two rounds were with a suppressor and bottom two were without. Again elusive flier on the bottom left target.

Last edited:
Little bit less of an exciting today as the range as very busy so I wasn't able to get through as many strings as fire as I wanted. But I did have time to hit the 100 yard with some match grade ammo (Lapua Center X).

Same rifles, Savage MKII (SWFA 10x42) and a B14R (NF 2.5-10x42). All shots were taken off a bipod and with rear bag.

Next order of business will be trying different torque settings on the B14R Chassis, as of right now its running at the stock torque settings. Savage MKII is 20 inch pounds on front and rear screw.

View attachment 7478842View attachment 7478843

This was very surprising to me at 100 yards with my cheap old savage.

View attachment 7478844View attachment 7478845

Top two rounds were with a suppressor and bottom two were without. Again elusive flier on the bottom left target.
What’s the factory torque for the B14’s? I’m just wondering because everything I put in a chassis get 65in/lbs and seems to shoot good.