• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Best 700 SA BDL detachable mag system?

Hadwyn

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I have a McMillan A5 (standard) BDL stock on my 700 5R that I would like to drop a detachable mag system into. Any recommendations? What are the best options at any price-point? Thanks.

Low-end, Atlasworxs ($150-$170).
Little higher, CDi ($200).
Even higher, Badger (definitely not $200 ;) ).

I was on a tight budget and went with Atlasworxs, no real complaints. But if I had to do it all over again, I'd lean towards CDi.

Low-end, Atlasworxs ($150-$170).
Little higher, CDi ($200).
Even higher, Badger (definitely not $200 ;) ).

I was on a tight budget and went with Atlasworxs, no real complaints. But if I had to do it all over again, I'd lean towards CDi.

Why??

Simply because getting my stock inletted for the Atlasworxs metal was a bit more involving than I thought it'd be.

Colin was nice enough to send me the dfx file for the metal, but no one locally had a CNC that'd fit my stock. Wound up doing the work myself by hand mostly.

Lots of people (including CDi themselves) can inlet/mill a stock for the CDi bottom-metal, and get it done pretty quickly. Just makes life a little easier, IMO.

I'm not sure if Wyatts will fit McMillan w/o any fitting. My wyatt fits like a glove and works like it's supposed to on my manners. 247$

After 2 months and not getting a call-back or a straight yes or no answer from PTG, I wrote them off.

They may make a great piece of gear, but it does no one any good if you have to wait months for it to ship - especially if you're told it's in stock at the time you placed your order.

Go with CDI...Jeff is fast becoming THE best source in bottom metal...fast, accurate, excellent quality...AND he is inletting your stock for free in 2014...buy his bottom metal for $209, send your stock in...get it back perfect...IMHO the Badger is not that much better than Jeff at CDI $$$ for $$$...got mine back inside two weeks...

Last edited:
Several available and most will work if installed correctly.A quality magazine ( to me ) is more important than the bottom metal itself, within reason.
That being said another +1 for CDI that makes excellent bottom metal and its based on the AI / AICS magazine which is a quality magazine.

I have a CDI unit on an FN and its been flawless. The PTG is definitely hit & miss for delivery but they also make a quality product. I used one of their stealth bottom metals for a Remmy 700 tactical in .223. I caught it in-stock and on sale for an outrageous price. Finding AI - .223 polymer magazines was harder than getting the metal.....

I watched Midway for nearly 3 months, the Savage S/A metal was out of stock and overdue for months.

Went with atlasworxs, had it in less than 5 days (no bullshitting).

Someone may make one in those types of finish, but so far all I've seen is the standard black anodized finish.

If nothing else, you can always have one sent out to be refinished in something that suits your rifle.