• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing best choice for DBM on a 7WSM Long action?

biggjake

Private
Minuteman
Dec 15, 2002
Las Vegas,NV.
I know several mfgs make a DBM system for the Rem 700 LA.I wantb to build up a 7 WSM with this system,and see there are several makers out there such as Badger,Surgeon,etc,and was wondering which might be the best with regards to needing magazine mods (if any),and overall availabbility.Thanks

Re: best choice for DBM on a 7WSM Long action?

why not go short action and use the new seekins dbm?

it has 3.16in of interal space

i ordered mine this week, supposed to ship today or early next week

to me that is the best system for a wsm currently

but if you go long action, i would use the surgeon bottom metal, i believe the lapua aics mags work fine and need no mods

I used a badger on mine with unmodded 338 lapua mags. Functioned perfect.

+1 on the Seekins WSM DBM! Mine should be ready real soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why not go short action and use the new seekins dbm?

but if you go long action, i would use the surgeon bottom metal, i believe the lapua aics mags work fine and need no mods </div></div>

180gr 7mm bullets are pretty long, stretching them out should net several grains more capacity plus the capability to grow with throat erosion. I'm also not crazy about the feed ramp notch, I had bullets hang up under the feed ramp.

If I were to buy or build another 7WSM I'd use a long action.

I have a long action,and I want to use the Berger and Cauteruccio,and JLK 180gr bullets.

Severn MM,You use Lapua bags?I would have thought the std Magnum mags would work better?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why not go short action and use the new seekins dbm?

but if you go long action, i would use the surgeon bottom metal, i believe the lapua aics mags work fine and need no mods </div></div>

180gr 7mm bullets are pretty long, stretching them out should net several grains more capacity plus the capability to grow with throat erosion. I'm also not crazy about the feed ramp notch, I had bullets hang up under the feed ramp.

</div></div>

to me the notching is a non-issue if done right it wont hang up, or just buy a surgeon wsm action they are set up with 3.1in loading ports.

depending on the powder you shouldnt compress, h1000 yes you will run into that issue, but with h4831sc you will run into pressue isses first, at least in my experience

i ran my last 7wsm at 2.930 and it worked fine, actually was faster than a guy running a long action 7-300 and he was running a tad bit more powder and had 2in more barrel, and my load was not compressed.

i hear the benefits of the long action, but to me the 3.16in seekins short action wsm metal solves the problem and i see no reason to build a long action wsm now that glen has his metal out

We offer a DBM set up that relocates the AICS magazines to the rear. That way you can remove the plate, or use Accurate Mag. WSM magazines to the fullest with out notching the feed ramp. You do have to machine the bumb in the rear of the feed port ala Wyatts box.

It works perfectly with Surgeon WSM and Stiller WSM actions as they come.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1281344#Post1281344

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: biggjake</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Severn MM,You use Lapua bags?I would have thought the std Magnum mags would work better?</div></div>

J Joplin at APA recommended the 338 mags, figured he ought to know. Never tried a 300 mag, the 338's worked perfect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why not go short action and use the new seekins dbm?

</div></div>

to me the notching is a non-issue if done right it wont hang up, or just buy a surgeon wsm action they are set up with 3.1in loading ports.

depending on the powder you shouldnt compress, h1000 yes you will run into that issue, but with h4831sc you will run into pressue isses first, at least in my experience

i ran my last 7wsm at 2.930 and it worked fine, actually was faster than a guy running a long action 7-300 and he was running a tad bit more powder and had 2in more barrel, and my load was not compressed.

i hear the benefits of the long action, but to me the 3.16in seekins short action wsm metal solves the problem and i see no reason to build a long action wsm now that glen has his metal out </div></div>

My GAP 7WSM built on a factory Rem 700 SA had to have the rounds at the back of the magazine or they would get stuck under the ramp. I just don't see the benefit to modifying a short action when you can fit a 7WSM into a LA without any mods what so ever. You don't have to mess with the magazines either.

I agree with you on the powder.