• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Best Taps and Dies for Suppressors

davwil

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2007
Hill country in Texas
I need a 5/8" - 24 tap to clean out a bur in a suppressor. I'd like to go ahead and the 5/8" tap while I'm getting and also a 1/2" - 28 tap and die for my other suppressors. Maybe I should be asking this question on the gunsmith forum but, does anyone know where I can get some good hexagon hand tap and dies? The ones at Midway don't look that good and searching online it's hard to tell which ones are good quality. Any help would be appreciated....thank you.

KBC tools, but for the love of JOHN, they will stuff your mailbox with their weekly fliers for about 6 months after the purchase.

Starrett will be good although I have not used them. I am a welder/mechanic and Irwin taps and dies have always treated me, and others, very well. And they are readily available at a good welding supply store.

I need a 5/8" - 24 tap to clean out a bur in a suppressor. I'd like to go ahead and the 5/8" tap while I'm getting and also a 1/2" - 28 tap and die for my other suppressors. Maybe I should be asking this question on the gunsmith forum but, does anyone know where I can get some good hexagon hand tap and dies? The ones at Midway don't look that good and searching online it's hard to tell which ones are good quality. Any help would be appreciated....thank you.
As long as you choose the correct class of thread for what you have or want, I doubt you will have a problem. Some mfgs only make one class, so investigate before you chase or cut a thread.

Man, the hide has saved me a lot of time and headaches and I appreciate everyone's response but obviously these aren't items most people buy. Apparently these fine threads aren't the norm and I knew that when I asked the question. Most of these suppliers don't handle these sizes and those that do only handle "adjustable" dies and I don't want to get into that. Even Midway only handles the tap and dies to fit the 1/2"-28 suppressor and barrel threads and not the 5/8"-24 threads. I'll keep looking but thanks for the input. I was hoping someone had actually purchased these and had a source. Thanks however for your help.

Starrett doesn't make taps and dies . . .

MSC is a good recommendation, MSCDirect.com.

Good pricing and wide range of manufacturers.