• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Browning A-Bolt 3 in 300WM range report - 100 yd

metroplex

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2020
This AB3 has just been an ongoing side project, more of something to try different stuff with than an ultimate end goal. My current scope (Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x) is like 3-4 times the cost of the rifle as an example. I had the barrel threaded 1/2-28 (no other options due to the sporter contour barrel) a few years ago and have tried different brakes (APA Little B, PA Hypertap etc) and now have the Q Cherry Bomb mainly to use the Plan B threading for a can that is waiting for Form 4 approval. I found out about the Bottle Rocket so I took it out to the range to check dispersion and recoil. With the base Cherry Bomb, the recoil reduction was definitely noticeable versus a bare muzzle but the light rifle was still bruising my shoulder. I threw on the Bottle Rocket and instantly saw the recoil reduced to about the same levels as with an APA Little B or PA Hypertap maybe slightly more recoil but totally manageable.

I noticed with the Cherry Bomb my dispersion was more consistent so long as the barrel wasn't overheating. I know this rifle tends to perform better with 180gr Nosler Accubond and 190gr SMK but has shown that it can do fairly well with 200gr-230gr. Norma may not shoot the tightest groups in this rifle, but has been the most consistent even down to the 139gr lead-free hunting rounds.

Here are some 5-shot groups at 100 yd. One of each flavor: 180gr Barnes VOR-TX, Berger 185gr Hybrid hunter, and Barnes 220gr OTM. Definitely not on par with Christensen arms and other precision guns but the base rifle itself was under $500 new.

I may try my Razor Gen II 4.5-27 or Athlon Cronus 4.5-29 scopes next time but this Razor HD LHT has been working extremely well.

Attachments

• AB3 CB.jpg
    AB3 CB.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 38