• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Building an Old School rifle.

Rapidrob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2009
New Mexico
With today's .338,.410 and .50 BMG caliber sniper rifles I wanted to go to an old school caliber that never really caught on in it's day.
8mm Remington Magnum. Before you snort your beer through your nose, please hear me out.
I have a large quantity of the brass that should last me for years. There are two new Match grade .323 bullets with a low BC now being sold. And at last, there are muzzle brakes to tame the beast from the prone. Recoil was a real killer when this rifle/cartridge came out.
The Big-8 is still a popular caliber with the larger four-legged game hunters.
I'm building a heavy barreled, muzzle brak'ed rifle just to see how well it will perform at long range. With a Point Blank Range of 334 yards, it should do well out to 1,400 yards and farther if everything is done right.
I had a chance to try out a .338 Win Mag fitted with a muzzle brake that stopped the recoil 100%. It is not quite and raises a large cloud of dust. However, you can shoot the rifle all day long without developing a flinch from recoil. I will use this type of brake, I don't care how it looks as long as it works.
I'm thinking of using a barrel of 28" to allow all the powder to burn. The stock I have not decided on. I'm open to suggestions as to what would work well. I'm left handed.
My action will be a Commercial Mauser or Howa 1500 magnum action.
I have both on hand.
The web search I did on this caliber really did not show any results other than hunting long range. That is a shame, it really is a cartridge that was over looked mainly due to the poor bullet choices in its day.
I run a long range shooting club and this caliber has been an idea I've had for a long time.
A poor man's long range rifle.
I look forward to your ideas for a stock ,scope and any other tips you know work well building the rifle.
Thank you.