• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bullet OAL on SMK 77gr .223

hill billy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Does anyone have a 77 gr .223 SMK that they can measure the BULLET dimension for me please? Google and a site search aren't netting me anything. I bought a bunch of Amax's only to find they won't fit in my magazine. Thanks.

Re: Bullet OAL on SMK 77gr .223

The 77 gr SMK will seat at mag length, 2.260". Same bullet being used in the Mk262 Mod1 and variant loads, but with a cannelure. The Mk262 was developed for the Mk12 SPR project.

If that's all you needed to know, you should have said so at the beginning. Now I feel foolish tell you that I measured the 77gr SMK as being 0.95 inches long, with a bearing length of 0.55 inch (including boat tail) and an ogive length of 0.4 inch.

As was going to add that my measurements for the 75gr A-Max are as follows: OAL: 1.08, bearing length 0.45 (including boat tail) and ogive length of 0.63. But since you didn't ask for that, just ignore it.

The 77gr SMK is the queen of the magazine length bullets, but it's not quite as accurate as the 69gr SMK, in my opinion. The A-max is a very nice, affordable target bullet that is not magazine length. The Hornady 75 HPBT is magazine length.

Berger, Nosler and others make 75-77gr mag-length bullets also.

Ultimately I needed the bullet length only but having told me what your OAL is gets me in the ballpark. I appreciate the other measurements. What is the longest distance you have shot the 69 accurately to?