• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Burris XTR3!!!

I had totally forgotten about the XTR III. Time for me to do a little more homework. I'm looking to pick up some new glass soon.

AMG does have less adjustment range at around 27 mrad, but that is still sufficient for most needs. XTR3 has 35 mrad of adjustment in the 50mm model and 26 in the 56mm.

FOV when on the same magnification is the same between AMG and XTR3.

ILya

I'm not sure what the AMG lists on paper, but with both scopes on 20x the Burris had .5 or .6 more reticle per side. That might be off by a little. It's been a couple months since I compared. That was one of the first scopes I put my 30x alongside. But the Burris was a bigger FOV.

The closest optic I have seen so far to matching the FOV of the Burris is the 20x NX8. On 20x the Burris only beat it by .2 per side.

I'm not sure what the AMG lists on paper, but with both scopes on 20x the Burris had .5 or .6 more reticle per side. That might be off by a little. It's been a couple months since I compared. That was one of the first scopes I put my 30x alongside. But the Burris was a bigger FOV.

The closest optic I have seen so far to matching the FOV of the Burris is the 20x NX8. On 20x the Burris only beat it by .2 per side.

I am going off of the listed specs for XTR3 3.3-18x50 and AMG 6-24x50. Keep in mind that magnification rings on riflescopes are almost always marked incorrectly.

I did exact measurements on a bunch of fancy scopes and the markings are not exact. See attached plot.

ILya

Attachments

• FOV, mrad vs Magnification Setting.png
    FOV, mrad vs Magnification Setting.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 122
FOV when on the same magnification is the same between AMG and XTR3.

ILya

Is there a formula you know of that can calculate FOV for a given magnification based on the lowest and highest mag FOV?
Obviously things like scope tunneling will effect such a formula.

I am going off of the listed specs for XTR3 3.3-18x50 and AMG 6-24x50. Keep in mind that magnification rings on riflescopes are almost always marked incorrectly.

I did exact measurements on a bunch of fancy scopes and the markings are not exact. See attached plot.

ILya

That graph would indicated the relationship between FOV and magnification is not linear, is that correct?
The MX7i seems to have better or worse FOV than tsngent theta depending on magnification.

Is there a formula you know of that can calculate FOV for a given magnification based on the lowest and highest mag FOV?
Obviously things like scope tunneling will effect such a formula.

In absence of tunnelling, scaling it off of the highest magnification gets you very close. For example, if the scope is 5-20x50 with reasonably constant eye relief, FOV on 10x is twice that of 20x.

Ilya

Really want to order the 5.5-30x SCR2, can get it for $1700 otd and I’m not hear to get into another price pissing match.
I’m trying to justify the jump from a XTR2 3-15x on a 24” 6.5CM shooting 140gr ELDM at 2815fps, just shooting steel to 1k.
I’m telling myself of course it’s worth it you fool but at the same time I want to build a shorty lightweight .243 or 6CM for coyote hunting. Decisions decisions.

I got burned really hard with the XTR2 when they came out and won't be returning to Burris after that. Doesn't mean this scope isn't great; just stating my experience. :cautious:

• Haha
Reactions: supercorndogs
Really want to order the 5.5-30x SCR2, can get it for $1700 otd and I’m not hear to get into another price pissing match.
I’m trying to justify the jump from a XTR2 3-15x on a 24” 6.5CM shooting 140gr ELDM at 2815fps, just shooting steel to 1k.
I’m telling myself of course it’s worth it you fool but at the same time I want to build a shorty lightweight .243 or 6CM for coyote hunting. Decisions decisions.
I upgraded from. A XTRII to a XTRIII and as much as I loved the XTRII, the III is improved by miles in every single way. You won't regret it.

I upgraded from. A XTRII to a XTRIII and as much as I loved the XTRII, the III is improved by miles in every single way. You won't regret it.

I agree with this.

I've also loved my XTRIIs. They treated me great. But the XTR3 is on a whole 'nother level. Great glass, big eyebox, easy parallax, just a step up in in the big categories.

It's a solid choice, and just as the XTR2 was a very good optic at the 1k price point, the XTR3 is going to be one of the best sub 2k options on the market.

Reactions: tam4511
They have a lot of great stuff in the works in the Tactical line up. A new RT8 is hitting the market with a dual focal plane. And some other upgrades to other scopes.

But I havent as yet heard of expanding the current XTR3 offerings. The big push for now is getting illuminated models to market.

But I'm not in boardroom meetings. So who knows what's right around the corner coming off the drawing board..

Big shout out to MK Machining, decided to pick up a XTR 3 from him this afternoon, very pleasant to call and provided excellent (at least to me he sounded like he knew what he was talking about :)) suggestions. Certainly wouldn't mind having a beer with the MKM crew. Now if only my Fox 42 would ship...

That graph would indicated the relationship between FOV and magnification is not linear, is that correct?
The MX7i seems to have better or worse FOV than tsngent theta depending on magnification.

The plot shows the relationship between measured FOV and the markings on the magnification ring Magnification is linear with angular field of view. By definition. However, when they engrave magnification rings on scopes the numbers are somewhat approximate, probably because of space limitations.

ILya

Reactions: beetroot
This was my most anticipated scope to use for the 2020 match season, but after a couple of posts on page 19, I'm a bit concerned. I'm currently on the fence as to whether I should risk ordering a couple after seeing WJM had some glass issues that passed QC and another had a purple turret.

This was my most anticipated scope to use for the 2020 match season, but after a couple of posts on page 19, I'm a bit concerned. I'm currently on the fence as to whether I should risk ordering a couple after seeing WJM had some glass issues that passed QC and another had a purple turret.

To date, Bill's scope is the only known glass issue out of 400 plus scopes to come out of Greeley.

The purple turret is being moved to an option along with the Race Dial. You have to pay extra for it.

To be fair (and given that I have not seen the scope myself yet), I've been kinda keeping track of how people like them and the optical quality seems reasonably consistent and the problem Bill had was taken care of quite quickly.

ILya

Im more than sure you will be 100% satisfied. Both instances were fixed in less than a week. Burris has as good or better warranty than any other company IMO.

I cant say enough about 100% American made. Im glad Burris is keeping work here and am way more than willing to give them some leeway if anything pops up. Again, the squeaky wheel gets the grease and hunreds of these scopes have been released with little or no issues.

Regards
DT

There is an SCR2 in MOA on the agenda, but it's low on the list.

Illuminated models are the next priority.
Anything about a possible LPVO in like 1-8x with illuminated non-BDC reticle? I'm thinking of something like a ZP8 or even NX8.

I have a cert and plan on picking up one of these.

Which power would you guys reccomend?
3-18 or 5-30?

I have an XTR2 5-25 on my 6.5CM bolt gun that I use for everything and will put the new scope on my 6.5cm gas gun until I get the long range Long action built then move it there.

I have a cert and plan on picking up one of these.

Which power would you guys reccomend?
3-18 or 5-30?

I have an XTR2 5-25 on my 6.5CM bolt gun that I use for everything and will put the new scope on my 6.5cm gas gun until I get the long range Long action built then move it there.

5-30. The FOV at 5x is pretty massive already.