• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes cant decide between these two

caleb7mm

Nobody
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2010
atlanta, GA
http://swfa.com/Sightron-6-24x50-SIII-30mm-Riflescope-P48419.aspx

http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P44564.aspx

I have none around me that sells them so I cant go check them out in person. Both have everything I want in a scope including the price range I can afford right now. Has any of you put these side by side? The only differences I see are the illuminated reticle in the PST which I dont care about. sightron has 100 moa of elevation travel and the PST has 65 moa of travel. I do plan on (and have the place to go to)shooting out to 1K yards. I like the SFP reticle on both of them. I just dont know about the 65 moa on the vortex?? It will be for a 308 with a 20MOA base installed. Maybe someone with more long range experience can help me on that one.

thanks

Re: cant decide between these two

having forum issues, keeps logging me out when trying to post. it is fixed now

High magnification in an inexpensive scope is a tourist trap. You won't need 24x for a .308. Save an additional $400 and get a used 15x NF.

I live down here in Ros-Aretta (Roswell-Alpharetta) area. A friend of mine lets me use her pastures for shooting. We can get 1000 meters . . . interested?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jist havin some fun with ya, Son . . .
</div></div>

no problem there.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">High magnification in an inexpensive scope is a tourist trap. </div></div>

I only have 1K to spend and wont have anymore. So that is all I can afford, tourist trap or not I cant spend 2K+ on optics in this economy in my career field.

thanks

Caleb,
I'm shooting the Vortex Viper PST FFP if you'd like to try it out. But you gotta buy your own ammo . . .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live down here in Ros-Aretta (Roswell-Alpharetta) area. A friend of mine lets me use her pastures for shooting. We can get 1000 meters . . . interested? </div></div>

hell yea, I also have a 650 yard field in gilmer county I can use anytime I want. I only shoot out there after deer season though. I have an annual "long range coyote slaughter" with some buddies in Feb.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Caleb,
I'm shooting the Vortex Viper PST FFP if you'd like to try it out. But you gotta buy your own ammo . . . </div></div>

yes please. I would love too. how do you like the FFP out past 600 yards? Does it cover the target bad or is it small enough that it doesnt matter? If it is small enough I might look into that...

any info is welcomed.

thanks in advance guys. back to work for me. I will check back later tonight.

$800 is not a lot of money to spend on a scope, but it is a lot of money to spend.

If you haven't seen/tried either of these two scopes, and plan to make a purchase sight-unseen, then buy a known quantity like a SFP NF that you can later resell easily if it's not to your liking.

The alternative is to save your money until you spend some time with long range shooters and form an idea as to what you would be satisfied with for your purposes.

Maybe a little bit, but it's not a problem.
Not as fine as my Pentax Light-Seeker, but I'm happy. And I'm not happy very often.

I sold my Leupold MK4 and bought the Viper PST your looking at, only mine is the mil/mil version. Would do it over again in a heartbeat. Love that scope! If ever needed also heard nothing but good things about Vortex's CS.

the more I read the more i lean toward the pst. now I want to look through the ffp and the sfp just to see how fine the ffp reticle is. hmmmmmmmmmm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nfoley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be leaning toward the Sightron, though both are nice scopes. </div></div>

any certain reasons? Im trying to find out why one would be better than the other

thanks

I'll chime in and say that I just sold my PST but not because I didn't like it. I upgraded to a NF and that is simply the only reason. Fo the price range that it's in, the turrets, reticle, tracking, illum, and overall build quality of the scope is great. Only thing that's kinda dumb is the zero stops suck. On another note, the Sightrons have a couple things that are attractive like the great glass quality and the track record Sightron has had in recent years plus introducing the tactical line. I don't think you can go wrong with either scope but obviously Sightron doesn't offer FFP