• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Care And Feeding Of A GAP 6.5 SAUM.....

psinclair

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2008
Glasgow, Montana
brass001.jpg

Starting with Remington 7MM SAUM brass, You'll need:
Redding 7MM Saum Competiton dies(Type "S" match)
.295 and .291 bushings
.264 Expander mandrel
Feeler gauge
Neck turning tool
Neck trimmer
Caliper
Deburring tool
Priming tool
NECO case neck lube kit

Use the .295 bushing and run the brass through, necking down. I lube the necks on new brass and the entire case if it's once fired 7 SAUM brass.

reload002.jpg

The next step is to run the brass through your expander mandrel, with a .264 mandrel to ready it for turning....
reload003.jpg

xammo001.jpg

Set you neck turning tool at 15 thousandts with a feeler gauge, and turn the necks all the way to the neck/shoulder junction. Use of the moly coated shot to slick up the inside of the necks will really help the process and keep the brass from "galling".

xammo006.jpg

xammo002.jpg

Like so....

xammo004.jpg

Trim to 2.025" and deburr inside and out....

xammo008.jpg

Prime, charge and seat bullets per usual.

After the initial firing I use the .291 bushing in the sizing process.
640002-1.jpg

Runout has been stellar on the 500 rounds I've processed using this method.

bugholes001-1.jpg

It's been worth every bit of effort.

shooting011.jpg

shooting015.jpg

After working up loads and testing different bullets with this rifle, it's been easy to say it's the funnest and deadliest rifle at any range I've ever shot.....I can't wait for fall!

Great write up / turtorial. As usual, thanks for sharing Pat!

Nice write up Pat. You guys are killing me with the 6.5 saum threads. I'm going to have to start planning and aquiring parts for my all around hunting rifle.

Excellent tutorial. Thanks for all the info. After my change-my-mind-57-times-like-a-little-girl antics with a current 338LM build I'm giving Ken a short break before starting this build! But I've already started collecting components - can't wait.

What barrel length, twist sir? Also what velocity are you observing with the 130's?

Thanks for sharing! This is looking like it might be my next cartridge.

Great writeup. Tagging for future reference. After I move out of the NE, I'm going to get a WSM bolt for my 591/R and a 6.5 blank and have GAP chamber me one of these. This just has too much potential to pass up.

Hey Pat awesome rifle and great write up. This caliber really intrigues me. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

Pat,
What kind of velocities are you running? I've looked at the 6.5 & 7 SAUM several times over the last few years.

Thanks,
Deano

Pat, thank you for the tutorial and info.

Please, PLEASE stop posting all this 6.5 SAUM stuff. You, George Gardner and Sendero Man are killing me. My rifle-lust is full bore since you guys started showing off. :grin:

I'd be interested to hear what the new 136 Lapua will do in this beauty when you get some more. Planning on shooting anything other than yotes with them, or sticking with the VLD's?

Pat,
What kind of velocities are you running? I've looked at the 6.5 & 7 SAUM several times over the last few years.

Thanks,
Deano

I'm getting 3250fps with the 130's. I have eight firings on one box of 50 brass with good tight tight primer pockets.

I've put a shade over 500 rounds through mine so far.....

Looking forward to the 6.5 SAUM antelope safari in Wyoming this coming October!

I have Redding Comp 300 Saum dies, will these work if I change out the seating plug and the bushing for the 6.5 SAUM?

I already have the barrel and plenty of brass and bullets.

I have Redding Comp 300 Saum dies, will these work if I change out the seating plug and the bushing for the 6.5 SAUM?

I already have the barrel and plenty of brass and bullets.

Yes, they should work just fine. FWIW, .300 SAUM brass is a tad shorter than 7MM after you neck it down to 6.5.

range001.jpg

Greenest I've ever seen up here.....check out the grass. This was a few days ago and it's rained since then.

great review and gun

question,
Use of the moly coated shot to slick up the inside of the necks will really help the process and keep the brass from "galling".
can you tell me more about this... some thing you got at a store or made your self?
thanks
dave

great review and gun

question,
Use of the moly coated shot to slick up the inside of the necks will really help the process and keep the brass from "galling".
can you tell me more about this... some thing you got at a store or made your self?
thanks
dave

Dave

Imperial makes a kit with a small tub of ceramic balls & a small tub of moly
it looks just like the pic that Pat posted above
here it is, but out of stock at Brownell's. you can check around for it
Redding Imperial Convenience Pak | Brownells

Joe

Great writeup, been hearing a ton about this cartridge. Can't wait to make a video on it later this summer!

I have a quick question, will a Redding Type S die for the 300 SAUM, given the proper bushings work for this caliber? Best regard Chris

Disregard above, I have managed to get hold of a set, actually two sets of the correct dies and bushings.

Last edited:
Guys, all the #'s Pat and Scott have shared here are spot on, As of todays date (8-6-13) any rifle chambered in GAP 6.5 4S SAUM will have a .028 shorter throat. Gives a longer window of chasing lands with the 140 hybrids and JLK bullets. Does not affect anything else bullets performance wise. I am keeping a couple reamers with the older freebore so on a rebarrel/rechamber guys can have a choice to stay with what they had or switch.

Guys, all the #'s Pat and Scott have shared here are spot on, As of todays date (8-6-13) any rifle chambered in GAP 6.5 4S SAUM will have a .028 shorter throat. Gives a longer window of chasing lands with the 140 hybrids and JLK bullets. Does not affect anything else bullets performance wise. I am keeping a couple reamers with the older freebore so on a rebarrel/rechamber guys can have a choice to stay with what they had or switch.

George what about the diffrence with going with a no turn neck reamer over turning the necks down?