• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

case mouth chamfering

solst_ice

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2012
I'm having a tough time to chamfer the mouth of my cases correctly. I've used the RCBS case prep center so far, with the original chamfering bit. But it requires a bit of force and the 60 degree angle is not ideal in my point of view. It leaves a sharp edge inside the case which scratches the bullet (or its coating) when seated.
So a bought the KM "controlled depth tapered reamer" http://kmshooting.com/case-neck-chamfer/large-6mm-338-reamer.html
But this thing drives me crazy. Whenever I use it, I'm applying either too much or too little pressure. Sometimes the reamed surface inside the case mouth is pretty even. Another time the tool gets stuck and just scratches on some places. Sometimes it "overturnes" and gets stuck again. The instruction says: "see website for details", but exactly the same document can be downloaded from there. I've been looking for a video on youtube to learn how to use this tool, but could not find one.
Does anybody know, how to use this thing correctly?

Many thanks in advance.

I started using the VLD chamfer tool years ago. I use it for all bullets and all brass now. If you're worried about getting the chamfer perfectly matched around the entire case mouth then it will drive you nuts. Quit worrying over that as I have never seen a less than perfect chamfer affect concentricity or accuracy.

Agreed with both posters above. Any VLD chamfer tool will get er done. Just a quick twist around the rim and ur good to go go U should not see any additional biting on ur bullet jacket. Hopefully your neck tension isn't crazy tight.

Thanks a lot for your useful hints. I've just ordered a VLD chamfer bit for the case prep center. @shoot4fun: it's probably more a matter of mind than a technical issue, at least in my case. A nice even chamfer leaves a mark of more consistency. Which may not be true at all. -))

Although my neck tension isn't that tight (measured .337 on my .308 Lapua brass) there were some marks on the bullets I had to pull (because of overpressure signs).

A Giraud trimmer set right makes the perfect chamfer tool, trim every firing after it gets so long, just knock the tops off.

Another vote for the VLD chamfer tool. Been using one for quite a few years now, and no complaints whatsoever...

@shoot4fun: it's probably more a matter of mind than a technical issue, at least in my case. A nice even chamfer leaves a mark of more consistency. Which may not be true at all. -))

After chamfering what was likely more than 200,00 cases (many for 600 & 1,000 BR) I can safely say it truly is all in your head. Last year I shot my smallest ever 5-shot group in a 1,000 yard IBS BR match. It measured 1.864" and scored 49 of possible 50 points. Brass had 10 firings on it and was not trimmed or chamfered, but it was annealed properly.

with 6.5 creemoor i dont chamfer unless I trim the case which is rare. i do anneal every time. when loading 223 on my dillon it seems that i need to chamfer every time or it will scrape the bullet jacket when I seat. Its weird.