• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Cerakote Elite Mixing Question

Pusher591

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 18, 2009
    Gaston County
    Ive mixed Elite Jungle and Elite midnight together to darken the green up. When it sits in the container it seems to separate and the black goes to the top and green to bottom. Is this normal? Just don't want to be missing somehting here and my smith go to spray this stuff and it come out like shit

I am no cerakote expert but do know that different colors of some coatings are different formulations and do not mix. Moly Resin is one of them. You could probably find the answer on the Cerakote sight.

I talked to the guys at nic industries they said it was ok to mix together they didn't have any exclusions so I'm thinking it must be fine I haven't mixed those two together but have others with good results good luck

I am no cerakote expert but do know that different colors of some coatings are different formulations and do not mix. Moly Resin is one of them. You could probably find the answer on the Cerakote sight.

Yeah Cerakote says that any Elite series can be mixed with other Elite colors but I was just curious if the separation was normal.

Yeah Cerakote says that any Elite series can be mixed with other Elite colors but I was just curious if the separation was normal.

Think it's just the suspended parts. Mix it well and continually mix it in the spray gun to keep it looking even. Text me if you need anything.

To get the incredibly slick finish, be sure to use the filter size recommended.
    I finally located some VERY fine filter paper conforming to their spec- but it wasn't easy. The one they sell is specific to an HVLP gun.

To get the incredibly slick finish, be sure to use the filter size recommended.
    I finally located some VERY fine filter paper conforming to their spec- but it wasn't easy. The one they sell is specific to an HVLP gun.

yeah I got the mesh filter recommended for the Elite series but should I filter it even more?

^^^
    Nope- if you got the metal mesh filter they sell for it you're set. I bought filter sheets that I can fit down into the mouth of the graduated cylinder. Spec is 325 mesh- 40 micron- which is some really fine chit.

Pusher,

OK to mix Elite with Elite.

All CeraKote has solids suspended in the main carrier. The solids used to get certain colors vary in their weight and will separate out accordingly. As long as you agitate your custom mixture well and keep it agitated you will not have any issues.

No need to double screen if you use the proper screen size for the chosen product. The screens sold by NIC for the recommended HVLP gun are the shit.

I will also share something that I have found useful since using the NIC products over the last few years regarding mixing and agitation.. . . . .

Even after you thoroughly mix, agitate/shake and screen/filter the material into your HVLP gun, the solids can begin to separate while in the cup of the gun if you fart around.
    I found this to be especially noticeable when coating parts for multiple complete rifles ( I usually to between 3 and 6 complete rifles per session) because it simply takes a while to work through that many parts.

So here is my tip:

If you are using an HVLP gun, you can place a piece of paper towel, rag or similar soft material tightly against the nozzle face, . . . . pull the trigger and the blow by air will be diverted back into the cup of the gun. This gives you a nice, even agitation of the material sitting in the cup. Obviously this should only be done with the top or cap secured to the cup. The vent hole in the cap will keep the blow back air from popping the cap off. The usual low air feed that you run with these guns and materials make for a mild and even bubbling from the bottom of the cup which keeps the solids mixed well on any remaining content. I will do this once every few minutes while coating.

As soon as I use blow back air to keep the material mixed in the cup, I will make sure the face of the nozzle is wiped clean and do a light "puff" with the gun onto my disposable backing paper to make sure the exit and needle are clean and clear before starting on the next few parts.

This does not harm the gun, it is fast and easy, cannot be over done and will help you keep your coatings more uniform as you exhaust that batch of material from the gun.

Hope this helps.

T.

./

I'll have to give that a try next time. I usually put my finger over the cup vent and give a shake.

David.

Pusher,

OK to mix Elite with Elite.

All CeraKote has solids suspended in the main carrier. The solids used to get certain colors vary in their weight and will separate out accordingly. As long as you agitate your custom mixture well and keep it agitated you will not have any issues.

No need to double screen if you use the proper screen size for the chosen product. The screens sold by NIC for the recommended HVLP gun are the shit.

Thanks Terry, just the confirmation I was looking for. BTW, check should be arriving to you tomorrow or the following day for that remaining bill.

I found this little thing that works wonders for mixing cerakote bottles. I drop a bolt nut or two in the can and shake with this thing for about 45 seconds.

I've done the low psi blowback with my guns as well and has always kept the products mixed when jobs are a little longer to shoot.

I like parshal's mixkwik recommendation as well