• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cheapest acceptable prs22/nrl22 optic

If you’re gonna be poor, be poor…

That said, I have a couple of Slx LPVOs that are satisfactory.
Went and zeroed my new SLx 1-10x28 34mm today, and for $450, I’m pretty impressed. I really like the ACSS Griffin M10S MIL reticle.

A1C58059-587A-4856-93AB-A185BFA3DC6F.jpeg

Went and zeroed my new SLx 1-10x28 34mm today, and for $450, I’m pretty impressed. I really like the ACSS Griffin M10S MIL reticle.

View attachment 8024810
Yeah, I really don’t have anything negative to say about the SLX line. I have 2 myself, a 1-6 FFP and a 1-8 FFP. $200 + tax/shipping is pretty ludicrous for a 4-14 FFP mil/mil with a Christmas tree reticle, zero stop, parallax adjustment, and illumination.

Last edited:
Reactions: FuhQ
Yeah, I really don’t have anything negative to say about the SLX line. I have 2 myself, a 1-6 FFP and a 1-8 FFP. $200 + tax/shipping is pretty ludicrous for a 4-14 FFP mil/mil with a Christmas tree reticle, zero stop, and illuminated.
My only gripes… I wish it had a parallax adjustment, and had an exposed elevation turret with zero stop. Capped windage is fine for me, but I’d at least like to be able to dial up if need-be. Especially with subs, since it just lobs them in there at 200+ yards.

Going thru the rabbit hole of buying scopes since starting shooting 22 matches - I can comfortably say that for me, the cheapest acceptable glass would be Vortex strike eagle.

Look at the Riton X1 series. They are well priced and a great budget scope for that loaner rifle!

So if you’re looking at 500 and under, the Arken EP5 5-25 meets those criteria and is currently on sale I believe. I have it as a place holder on my 223/6.5prc hunting rifle until I get another tangent. Everyone that has looked through it, my self included, has been very impressed with it. Turrets are nice, glass is exceptional for a cheap optic. 34mm tube. It's a worthy investment imho. I would say it competes with the mid 1k scopes and i found it nicer to look through than the mk5 3-18. Has a very nice eye box as well and very easy to get behind. Parallax's down to 25yd as well iirc.

6F29D170-64F3-4EB2-A657-6A51DD3278D7.jpeg

Reactions: FuhQ
Not sure if you made your decision yet. Buy I'd vote used vortex SE from the px here. Bout 550 is the going price.

Arken. Tracks reliably. Stable. Great turrets. Clear.
For the money, it can’t be beat.

Attachments

• A67463C4-9E06-45D5-8C2D-4ACE0A5401B2.jpeg
    A67463C4-9E06-45D5-8C2D-4ACE0A5401B2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
  • 88B44A01-B59B-41B8-B97E-2E82302F4D53.jpeg
    88B44A01-B59B-41B8-B97E-2E82302F4D53.jpeg
    923.5 KB · Views: 45
Athlon makes great optics. Two other “runners up” would be Arken and Riton. Also fantastic glass, great reticle choices, zero stop, crystal clear image all the way to the edge, great light gathering ability, crisp turret indexing etc. keep us posted on your final purchase.

Athlon makes great optics. Two other “runners up” would be Arken and Riton. Also fantastic glass, great reticle choices, zero stop, crystal clear image all the way to the edge, great light gathering ability, crisp turret indexing etc. keep us posted on your final purchase.
Thanks a lot and sorry for what I know is going to be an overly lengthy reply. Relatively new to shooting bolt action, bought my first center fire maybe 6 months ago and quickly learned that getting quality ammo in Puerto Rico is more challenging than I had anticipated. So recently purchased a Bergara b14r trainer so I can head out each week and have decent range sessions.
At a bit of a crossroads for this one’s optics. On my center fire I have a Zeiss S3 which honestly I cannot find fault and from my limited experience think is a quality scope. However, I have a shooting buddy that uses exclusively Sb, TT, and Zco and I made the mistake of getting behind a few of his and they truly are just another level compared to my S3. So really my decision is do I grab one of these lower priced options which you’ve recommended for the trainer (and use some of the money on a kestrel) or do I jump up to a zco for my center fire and put the s3 on the 22. Given the lack of any matches etc. this really will be used for paper and steel from 200 out to around 1200 and the occasional course I take in the US or hunt. My guy tells me that if I already have an itch to get an alpha tier better to bite the bullet now and call it a day but my head says the zeiss is some good glass and u don’t need to go overboard on a trainer.
This page has been great and i appreciate that whichever direction I go I’ll be guided to some great options by the member.

Reactions: Gunnie88