• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Choosing Rifle - Guidance Needed

Scott2501

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2010
Hey guys,

I am just getting into the bolt action game, having spent most of my time and resources on ARs for the past few years. You guys were so helpful with my last decision - a Nightforce 1-4 - that I thought I'd check in again.

I am trying to decide between a Remington 700 SPS Tactical ($619), a Savage Model 10 FCP-K ($799), or a Savage Model 10 PC, all in .308.

In the near future, I plan on getting an AAC 762 SD to run on my .308 and my 5.56 ARs, so that plays into the equasion. After paying for the threading, the price is pretty close on all three.

So, which would you pick for a good "starter" rifle. I would use it primarily for target shooting at 100-500 yards, but also occasionally for hunting. I think I have a pretty good handle on the pros and cons, but I'm still not sure. Here is what I know...

Remington - 20" barrel, 1 in 12, Hogue stock would need to be replaced for best results, not threaded, I like the 700 action

Savage FCP-K - 24" barrel, 1 in 10, Accustock is supposed to be good, but not easily replaced, fluted barrel and threaded for a muzzle break

Savage PC - 20" barrel, 1 in 10, no threading

Thanks for any opinions, I just want to make sure I get off to a good start.

Re: Choosing Rifle - Guidance Needed

I'd vote for the Savage FCP-K, restock it if you like. I don't like the Rem for your application, mainly due to the 1/12 twist with a can, which doesn't like the heavier bullets. I use a 1/12 PSS and it loves 155s to 175s, nothing heavier.

Just my .02

Kirk R

the savage is a much much much much much better action, stock............so it'd cut down on smith time/price as compared to getting the rem action up to the same standard. BUT, the rem does have more available parts, which are also easier to get a hold of.....but will cost more in the long run.

i vote savage but i would choose the 10fp with either hs precision or mcmillan stocks, you will thank me in the long run definetly worth the extra $100-200 in my book. on the bright side all of the savages i have shot were great in terms of accuracy so really its a win win.

If you are going to be toting it around in the woods, the 10PC is probably the best bet.
The accustock is a good stock, it can be easily replaced, there is NO difference between the accu-stock DBM actions and the non-sccustock dbm actions. There are NOT many stocks available for savage dbm actions, but they can be inletted.

If you are going to get the can, I suggest holding off for the threaded sps tactical. It has the advantage of the 1-10 twist.
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-tactical-aac-sd.aspx

Figure about 600 street price, maybe 650.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the savage is a much much much much much better action, stock............so it'd cut down on smith time/price as compared to getting the rem action up to the same standard. BUT, the rem does have more available parts, which are also easier to get a hold of.....but will cost more in the long run. </div></div>

The Savage is a much,much,much,much.much better action then a remington???? Care to show your scientific irrefutable evidence of this.I realy would like to see it
confused.gif

To the original poster get which ever you like more.One thing to keep in mind if you may ever get rid of it remingtons have way better resale.

And all this coming from a FN/Win guy.

Of the 3 listed, I would go with the Savage 10 FCP-K.... I've only owned one Savage, a 10FP 20" accutrigger, and was impressed with it for the price point and out of the box accuracy.... The ability to switch barrels without a smith is a big bonus in my eyes! I love my Remmy customs, but at the price point your showing The Savage will give you a lot for your money....leaving you more for glass and ammo (or even better, reloading gear!), where you should spend as much as possible, but wisely!!! The scope will stay with you through the many itterations with whatever rifle you buy and go to your next one....and there will be a next one!! LOL!! Good luck!

I'd opt for the Remington 700, NF 20moa base, NF Rings (for 30mm tubes) and the best piece of glass you could afford. When you are able, I'd change the stock to one of the McMillans and have it Pillar bedded. I'd also have the barrel shortened to 22" or 24" when you have it threaded.

The list goes on but, this is the minimum I'd have done.