• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Colorado: Places to Shoot, People to Shoot With

Re: Colorado: Places to Shoot, People to Shoot With

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Krav69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LL,

I was videotaping, although this was in 1998, and informed that that was not allowed, and they sent the rules to me to "reinforce" that point. Plus, no human silouette targets as well, also got in "trouble" for this, after a verbal reprimand from some CRC members and it also was in a more recent CRC newsletter that that too isn't allowed.

The board members threatened to yank my membership if I didn't "cease and desist", their words, not mine.

Their logic was that they didn't want to give the wrong impression about the CRC on a political basis, that we at the CRC were militia members in training at our remote outpost. They were "concerned about their public image". (Also CRC words, not mine).

Since then I don't have much interest in spending time with those people, oddly enough, and go to great lengths to avoid them. </div></div>

This is why I am becoming more and more disillusioned with the organized clubs here in CO. I had high hopes for this one too....Stupid people are going to assume shooters are evil whether we are shooting at humanoid targets or unicorns. Whatever, not even gonna start a rant.

Hey thanks very much for the invite, I unfortunately need to decline. I am only able to go out for a short time during Saturday and my group has grown to potentially seven other people who have almost the same time restraints. I will let you know if I find a place and where we end up going, I hope we don't end up at a range with a camper full of drunks and roaming dogs...

RMC

I contacted the Rocky Mountain Region of the National Forest Service to make sure that this is a legal place to shoot firearms in Colorado, will update with information. it is located south of Buffalo Creek CO, on Co Rd 126.

I posted a picture of the location on my Facebook page, and sent the link to them as well, I was wondering what you guys think of the spot.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ruger-the-1022-fan-page/202955406462750

Thanks for your feedback!

RMC

I have shot many times in that area...and if I were you I'd take 550 instead of staying right off of 126. If you go back a few miles, there are plenty of spots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Krav69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Other rules at the Colorado Rifle Club include No Photography or Videotaping, and No Steel Targets.

SOME of us obey these obscure rules.

SOME of us do not.

cool.gif
</div></div>

I went thru orientation late last year and there was nothing about shillhoutte targets mentioned. What else are you going to shoot in the east bay ranges.

On steel tagets, they have a metallic range, so that is a bit odd. I was under the impression that you could place your own steel targets on the rails that they have out there. (No fun resetting them though).

Nice little set-ups, just wish they'd let you do some short range 3-gun rifle practice in the east berms, that's the only issue that I can think of that I've seen.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megahoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have shot many times in that area...and if I were you I'd take 550 instead of staying right off of 126. If you go back a few miles, there are plenty of spots. </div></div>

Right on, I'm going to look into that, thanks

RMC

My Boss and I are heading to Buena Vista this weekend, we'd wanted to hit Whittington but all the ranges were closed for unguided hunts. Anyone else heading out? we'll be there Saturday and Sunday.

Had a great day at the range in BV yesterday. 47 degrees, sun was shining, 2 of Hosers planes flew over, best of all-I was able to spend some time with the caretaker.

He gave me some real good information. There is a rather deep valley that runs North and South just after the 600 yard ridge. That valley sucks all of the wind moving North or South and really played havoc with my 308. After talking, I was able to pick up some subtle wind changes through the scope that made all of the difference.

I gave him some $ for paint and target repair (I felt guilty after breaking the groundhog at 575) He talked about the "internet" like it was a person, "once the internet found out about this place, a whole bunch of people started shooting up here." So this is for you, Mr. Internet- the range only goes to 600 yards in between the 2 orange hunters. Everything beyond that is BLM. A horse trail is on the other side of the ridge at 1100 yards and from time to time one wanders up the hill. So, be sure of your target at what's beyond. No launching rounds over that last ridge.

Who would have thought that middle of January would have been such a productive day.

Awesome, thanks for the update. Since we have had about 8 inches of snow here in the foothills of Littleton, I wouldn't recommend going up there this weekend unless it gets really sunny between now and then(which I'm learning could totally happen.) I plan on going to the BV range as soon as my DBM is installed and I have "Mr. Internet" to thank for that!"

OK, it looks as if my original plans for the shoot to happen in April... ain't gonna happen. Most everyone seems to be tied at the stake through the 1st weekend of June.

So, here are our new plans as of today...

Campout: Friday, 6/08/2012 (evening arrival - 7ish)
Shoot: Saturday, 6/09/2012 (breakfast, chat, morning shoot, lunch, chat, afternoon shoot)
Campout: Saturday, 6/09/2012 (rest up for the morning, dinner, chat, maybe go fishing)
Shoot: Sunday, 6/10/2012 (breakfast, chat, morning shoot, lunch, chat)
Leave: Sunday, 6/10/2012 (when you are ready to do so)

Anyone and everyone are welcome to join in the fun and camaraderie... This will be done as a family outing.

Hope to see ya there!!

DK

z71rat - send me info on where you are holding this. Kid friendly(dont care just would need to make arrangements)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FromMyColdDeadHa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On steel tagets, they have a metallic range, so that is a bit odd. I was under the impression that you could place your own steel targets on the rails that they have out there. (No fun resetting them though).

Nice little set-ups, just wish they'd let you do some short range 3-gun rifle practice in the east berms, that's the only issue that I can think of that I've seen. </div></div>

The question has always been if you can shoot steel targets on the 1,000 yard HP range, not the silhouette range.

I've never heard you cannot practice 3-gun on the east berms. That is where we hold 3-gun matches.

Quickdraw,

Fritz and I joined up last month. We specifically asked about steel on the 1000 yd. We were told, so long as we were safe about the placement on the berm behind the target pits - go for it.

We also asked about 3 gun the East range...he smiled and said the rules don't say you can't.

Planning on seeing you guys on the 28th if the weather works out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, it looks as if my original plans for the shoot to happen in April... ain't gonna happen. Most everyone seems to be tied at the stake through the 1st weekend of June.
So, here are our new plans as of today...
Campout: Friday, 6/08/2012 (evening arrival - 7ish)
Shoot: Saturday, 6/09/2012 (breakfast, chat, morning shoot, lunch, chat, afternoon shoot)
Campout: Saturday, 6/09/2012 (rest up for the morning, dinner, chat, maybe go fishing)
Shoot: Sunday, 6/10/2012 (breakfast, chat, morning shoot, lunch, chat)
Leave: Sunday, 6/10/2012 (when you are ready to do so)
</div></div>

Damn, I'll be in Spain that week. Will try for the next one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pike10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quickdraw,

Fritz and I joined up last month. We specifically asked about steel on the 1000 yd. We were told, so long as we were safe about the placement on the berm behind the target pits - go for it.

We also asked about 3 gun the East range...he smiled and said the rules don't say you can't.

Planning on seeing you guys on the 28th if the weather works out. </div></div>

OK, sounds like it's time to invest in a full size AR500 IPSC target. Just be ready to be hassled by every high power shooter with their oxygen bottles. I wish they would just announce this in the newsletter (that I just got today) and avoid the BS. I generally try to avoid confrontations on gun ranges. See you guys in a couple of weeks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pike10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quickdraw,

OK, sounds like it's time to invest in a full size AR500 IPSC target. Just be ready to be hassled by every high power shooter with their oxygen bottles. I wish they would just announce this in the newsletter (that I just got today) and avoid the BS. I generally try to avoid confrontations on gun ranges. See you guys in a couple of weeks! </div></div>

Its funny reading this now. We were out there almost all day, today, on the 1000KD. Set up the full size ipsc and two swingers just down from the big target numbers. We shot next to two F class guys, one said the was the MD for the F class for the last few years. He didn't say a word about the steel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pike10</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pike10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quickdraw,

OK, sounds like it's time to invest in a full size AR500 IPSC target. Just be ready to be hassled by every high power shooter with their oxygen bottles. I wish they would just announce this in the newsletter (that I just got today) and avoid the BS. I generally try to avoid confrontations on gun ranges. See you guys in a couple of weeks! </div></div>

Its funny reading this now. We were out there almost all day, today, on the 1000KD. Set up the full size ipsc and two swingers just down from the big target numbers. We shot next to two F class guys, one said the was the MD for the F class for the last few years. He didn't say a word about the steel. </div></div>

We were there on a Friday and had to here "it" from three different groups of HP shooters. Not to mention the one pissing on the range with the outhouse 30 yards away with my wife there. If I need to shoot out to 550, I'm staying on the silhouette range.

We are having the match director's meeting next Saturday. I will ask, again, there.

I want to go to that match director meeting as I want to help set something up ...

Also I understand there is a BoD meeting after maybe I can broach the "clinic" discussion in and possibly get some authorization for training ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to go to that match director meeting as I want to help set something up ...

Also I understand there is a BoD meeting after maybe I can broach the "clinic" discussion in and possibly get some authorization for training ? </div></div>

Frank, I'll shoot you an email with the info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pike10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We were out there almost all day, today, on the 1000KD.</div></div>

I KNEW you two were practicing.... bastards... ;-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pike10</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We were out there almost all day, today, on the 1000KD.</div></div>

I KNEW you two were practicing.... bastards... ;-)
</div></div>

It was a tough day. We definately needed it. It took us a few minutes to get our heads screwed on straight. We got cocky, didn't account for the extra 50-60 yds from the pits to the berm, then arbitrarily added an extra hundred yds of dope ( have no idea why)...trust me we needed the practice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gadbmw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">z71rat - send me info on where you are holding this. Kid friendly(dont care just would need to make arrangements)? </div></div>

Here is the majority of the information that I am using. I have yet to get out there, but I am going this year, one way or the other, even if I have to go by myself!! LOL

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H_Cracka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a very cool and FREE DOW range just south of Buena Vista with steel rifle targets out to 1040 yards. I was just there yesterday evening. They have everything from full size animal cutouts to 1/4 sized poppers, probably 50+ steel targets spread out from 285 yards to 1040 yards. It is well worth the trip. A coyote chasing a rabbit, oversized prairie dogs, an elk, a few deer, a 3/4 size buffalo, a IMS ram, you name it the steel is there. There is a slighly over 1 MOA square at 1020 yards we give a pretty good workout.

Take 285 south of BV about 13 miles. Watch for a sign on the right that says Chaffee Country Recycling Center and take a left into the facility. I'll try to get some pics next time.

It is well worth the 1:45 trip it takes me to get there from COS. You never have to go down range for the steel unless you want to paint them up yourself. Someone is taking really good care of the range and they paint the targets up almost every morning. Take flat black and white paint with you. With it being close to hunting season you will get the local hunter sight-in, but again since you don't HAVE to go down range it is no big deal - just a few more cease fires for them to hang and retrieve paper targets.

EDIT - Oh and they also have 3 pistol bays but you need to bring your own targets for that. The bays go to 25 yards. </div></div>

Yes, it will be kid friendly. I am bringing my girlfriend and her daughter, and a buddy of mine is bringing his wife and kiddos with him too. So yes... definately kid friendly!!

DK

Camp Fickes, operated by the Buffalo Creek Gun Club (bcgc.com) has a 600 yard range with military style pits, with shooting positions at 200, 300, and 600 yards. It is open to the public on a fee basis on weekends ($15 each, $20 for families, dicounts for active duty military with ID) but only in the spring, summer and fall. It has a short range, from 100 yds down to pistol ranges, which is currently being greatly expanded and improved and is hence closed. Check out the web site for huge amounts of information. Located SE of Bailey in the Pike Natl. Forest.
Chuck Morey, Member

CRC is great, I think they are going to be building some longer berms 100 200 over on the east range so that should be really cool. My friend and i have shot lolli poppers and a gong out there at 200 and 400 I've never heard anything that said we couldn't do that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to go to that match director meeting as I want to help set something up ...

Also I understand there is a BoD meeting after maybe I can broach the "clinic" discussion in and possibly get some authorization for training ? </div></div>

All I can say about you doing clinics and/or training out at CRC is FUCK YEAH! I typically work weekends but for that not only would I pony up the fee for whatever, I'd call in sick to attend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pike10</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> We got cocky, didn't account for the extra 50-60 yds from the pits to the berm, then arbitrarily added an extra hundred yds of dope ( have no idea why)...trust me we needed the practice. </div></div>

I measured it as 40 yds, give or take a few with a laser from where the target board comes up from the pit to the back of the impact ruts in each lane. If that helps ya next time out. I usually just add 50 yards and that works fine for tactical size stuff.

As to steel on the high power range, I have done it many times and never heard a word from anybody about it.

I would love to try out the CRC sometime as I just moved from Idaho about 4 months ago. If anyone is planning to take steel that has a membership, I would be more than willing to meet up and help lug steel out to the berm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: colochuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Camp Fickes, operated by the Buffalo Creek Gun Club (bcgc.com) has a 600 yard range with military style pits, with shooting positions at 200, 300, and 600 yards. It is open to the public on a fee basis on weekends ($15 each, $20 for families, dicounts for active duty military with ID) but only in the spring, summer and fall. It has a short range, from 100 yds down to pistol ranges, which is currently being greatly expanded and improved and is hence closed. Check out the web site for huge amounts of information. Located SE of Bailey in the Pike Natl. Forest.
Chuck Morey, Member </div></div>

I didn't really enjoy Camp Fickes. Super uptight, and no shotgun shooting. No steel, and waiting in between strings to go hang targets at 600 yard military style is fine for F-class I guess, but long distance steel is way funner. It was a beautiful area, but not my style.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawnMM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to go to that match director meeting as I want to help set something up ...

All I can say about you doing clinics and/or training out at CRC is FUCK YEAH! I typically work weekends but for that not only would I pony up the fee for whatever, I'd call in sick to attend. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: verdugo60</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would love to try out the CRC sometime as I just moved from Idaho about 4 months ago. If anyone is planning to take steel that has a membership, I would be more than willing to meet up and help lug steel out to the berm. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawnMM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want to go to that match director meeting as I want to help set something up ...

All I can say about you doing clinics and/or training out at CRC is FUCK YEAH! I typically work weekends but for that not only would I pony up the fee for whatever, I'd call in sick to attend. </div></div>

You still haven't been out there fox?

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: verdugo60</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would love to try out the CRC sometime as I just moved from Idaho about 4 months ago. If anyone is planning to take steel that has a membership, I would be more than willing to meet up and help lug steel out to the berm. </div></div>

+1 </div></div>

Once, about 2.5 years ago I shot a 600yd F-class match...met Leo A. I definitely want to get out there some time and punch paper (figure out my come-ups etc.) and shoot steel, or in one of their steel/sniper matches.

Would love to carpool with some people...it's over 100 mi. from me, as are just about all the good places to shoot (C<span style="font-style: italic">RC, BV, Pawnee</span>)! I've been scouting Gilpin county near me w/o much luck yet. Gotta buy me some steel targets soon too.

No doubt its a hike from blackhawk. I'd offer to bring you out and try CRC but my days off are mid week nowadays.

Thanks for the offer! It's usually not too much trouble for me to get days off mid-week...I have a crazy amount of vacation and comp-time hours I have trouble finding ways to use.

I have Tuesday's and Wednesday's off. Have a lot of family stuff going on this week so if I make it out there it will be a quickie.

We should set something up though. PM me and we can get something in the works maybe next week. Can bring a bunch of ammo and make a good trip of it. The steel range is nice for variety. The HP range is nice for practice on longer shots.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: colochuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Camp Fickes, operated by the Buffalo Creek Gun Club (bcgc.com) has a 600 yard range with military style pits, with shooting positions at 200, 300, and 600 yards. It is open to the public on a fee basis on weekends ($15 each, $20 for families, dicounts for active duty military with ID) but only in the spring, summer and fall. It has a short range, from 100 yds down to pistol ranges, which is currently being greatly expanded and improved and is hence closed. Check out the web site for huge amounts of information. Located SE of Bailey in the Pike Natl. Forest.
Chuck Morey, Member </div></div>

Fickes is a nice range, good for a day trip and change of pace. Though the club price per year is pretty outrageous given the amenities available. I had them hold a check and cash it like three months later that we mailed in for two day passes. Little dicky holding checks that long, unbalances your checking account.

I know it's short notice, but I'm going to head to the Buena Vista DOW range on friday if anyone wants to tag along.

Pdogs,

I would be there if I didn't have so much freaking homework and if my 308 brake had come! We need to go slay some dogs this spring though, I been practicing on the steel ones at CRC.

Eh, I dunno...OK you twisted my arm enough haha I've been itching to send some real ones flying. I don't know at what temp they start coming out of their holes, but even if it's not ideal numbers of them I'd still be up for a day of it.

If anyone has been on the fence about going, or don't think it's worth the trip...GO! The DOW range in Buena Vista just ruined all other ranges for me! It's an awesome place to shoot! WELL worth the drive there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eh, I dunno...OK you twisted my arm enough haha I've been itching to send some real ones flying. I don't know at what temp they start coming out of their holes, but even if it's not ideal numbers of them I'd still be up for a day of it. </div></div>

I have spring break in mid-march I think, and even when it's a bit cold they come out in the lot next to my apartments as long as it's sunny. I will let you know and we will meet up to go explode some!

...Have to get to loading my light varmint boolits in 223 and 308 at ridiculous speeds...

I just had an image of you chillin in your apartment with the window open and the rifle on a tripod... haha

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdogsbeware</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just had an image of you chillin in your apartment with the window open and the rifle on a tripod... haha </div></div>

Ssshhhh! I can't help it when they look like this next to my place...

http://www.israellycool.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/groundhog1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn, I'll be in Spain that week. Will try for the next one. </div></div>

Sorry you won't get to come out. I have been wanting to meet some CO shooters, as I have been basically holed up in Meeker since I moved here. It would be nice to put some faces with the names here. Hopefully next time!!

DK

Anything going on in western slope area anytime soon? New to area and the closest range to me requires both nra membership (have) and a sponsor to be allowed to join.
Been over a year since I shot seriously and I wanna play damnit!

I just checked the CRC schedule.

I sure hope you guys aren't planning on shooting during the weekends, as the vast majority are being monopolized with tournaments.

I've been a member since 1998, and after looking at this years schedule, my interest in the place is suddenly declining.

Years ago I was told that they didn't want all that many tournaments, and now, well, check the schedule.

I thought it was bad enough when the lame firefighter egomaniacs commandeered the big bore range, but this years schedule is far worse than anything those guys ever did.

Thanks for the info Krav, I recently moved to the area and was trying to decide between CRC and Golden Gun Club , I really would like a place to shoot 1000yards once a month (CRC) but I would be even more pissed if tournaments messed with my shooting/relaxation. Golden seems like a good place but only a 500yard range. I guess I might have to take that 4 hour drive to NRA WHITTINGTON CENTER in Raton, NM every now and then just for 1000yards. Krav check out the Golden Gun Club website they are taking new members next month. The process over there looks simple. Let me know if there are any other options in the area.

Quick question guys, Is CRC worth joining right now, considering what their weekend schedule looks like. And also do you need to have a sponsor to join?