• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Comfortable Zero Turn Mower?

Waorani

Crusty Caballero
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Greenbow, AL
The recent mowing talk has got me thinking about replacing my 20yr old Scag. I've got about 5 acres to cut and the Scag just beats you to death. Only suspension it has are the tires and cushion seat. Used to not bother me but it is now and there's got to be better options. Ferris seems to get good reviews and has actual frame suspension as well as the seat. Any experience or other brands to look at?

The recent mowing talk has got me thinking about replacing my 20yr old Scag. I've got about 5 acres to cut and the Scag just beats you to death. Only suspension it has are the tires and cushion seat. Used to not bother me but it is now and there's got to be better options. Ferris seems to get good reviews and has actual frame suspension as well as the seat. Any experience or other brands to look at?
@Tucker301 may have your answer.
My Deere is the same.

R

Reactions: 1J04
Get some goats.

My wife burned up my John Deere zero turn.... literally burned it. I ended up replacing it was a gravely commercial zero turn and I’ve been very happy with it.

Reactions: 1J04
Altoz TRX, because it doesn't get much more badass than a tracked zero turn.

No goats! I'm sure the others mentioned have better seats than my old Scag but they all look like rigid frame. If I'm going to drop $12-14k on a new machine, I want it to be comfortable at speed so I can cut a little more often and not dread it so much. There's a Kubota dealer close so I'll checkout the Z700.

For that kind of money you can look into the ZD (diesel) or ZG (gas) line of commercial Kubota mowers. Stay away from the ZD1511, it has a DPF and they aren't very reliable. Any diesel engine over over 25HP requires tier 4 emissions and to my knowledge can't be deleted.

Good to know on the diesel. $12-14k was based on Ferris IS3200Z I'm looking at. Hell, the Scag was $9k w/ tax back in 1998.

Good to know on the diesel. $12-14k was based on Ferris IS3200Z I'm looking at. Hell, the Scag was $9k w/ tax back in 1998.
In lieu of goats I’d look at one of the tractors that has the mowing deck that can be removed as well as accommodate a backhoe and front loader accessories.

I think Ferris is the only one with actual suspension. My neighbor had one to cut his 3 acres (I used a Kubota tractor for my 6), and he really liked it. It did have a good cut....

In lieu of goats I’d look at one of the tractors that has the mowing deck that can be removed as well as accommodate a backhoe and front loader accessories.

That's pretty much what I started with - small Kubota/loader/backhoe and tried belly mower, bush hog, finishing mower. All way too slow and why I went to the Scag. Hate cutting grass and just want it done asap. 61" Scag gives good cut and can go pretty fast but it just beats the crap out of me. Figure there has to be something fast but w/ softer ride and that's how I came across the Ferris. Finding a few comments about poor cut quality the more I look though.

I have a Hustler Super Z and love it. The seat is suspended and rides nice. They make an upgrade for the front end to have suspension which I may do later on.

I think Ferris is the only one with actual suspension. My neighbor had one to cut his 3 acres (I used a Kubota tractor for my 6), and he really liked it. It did have a good cut....

Wondered why I was only seeing rigid frames on the other higher end models. What attracted me to the Ferris was speed and comfort. Plenty of reviews also saying good cut but a fair number not happy too. If I can't get speed/comfort/decent cut I'll just keep the Scag.

In a town w/ 30,000 college students you'd think I could find someone that wanted to make a few bucks using my mower. But despite multiple attempts, and assurances that they were responsible, needed the money, blah, blah, they never last more than a cut or two before the no-shows and excuses start.

My wife burned up my John Deere zero turn.... literally burned it. I ended up replacing it was a gravely commercial zero turn and I’ve been very happy with it.
Oh yea... the gravely has an air ride seat.

Reactions: acudaowner
The air ride seats look pretty similar among all the brands and alone would probably be a big improvement.

Spartan mowers have suspension seats. My brother sells them. I used one for the first time the other day. Awesome mowers. Fast and they don't beat you to death.

I have a Spartan SRT-HD - Wife approved. She's the CMO (Chief Mowing Officer) around here...

If the mower works, just get a replacement air ride seat. Did that with my 25 year old dixie chopper

Reactions: Winchester59
Most of the new commercial mowers have a suspension seat as an option. Look for a dial in the center of the seat, it uses your weight. Ferris has one with suspension like an ATV. We have a Lazer Z at work, amazing machine.

Scag turf tiger 2, Exmark Lazer Z X series, Hustler Super Z and Hyper Drive.

Scag Cheetah has a seat on an adjustable suspension deck. Toro has some similar commercial zero turns. Some models offer an air seat option. You can also retrofit a air seat from Puffer https://ztrpuffer.com. I haven't tried it but forum reviews are generally positive. A tractor will be slower than a zero steer and still beat you up over rough ground.

Thanks all. I'm also looking at seat upgrade options. Scag actually has several but none go back as far as my old turf tiger. Surely one could be modded to fit though. And then there are aftermarket options too. I think I just got big eyes when I googled "comfortable zero turn mower" and found the Ferris. There is a local dealer and I'll stop by next week to take a look. The higher end Kubota's and several of the others folks have mentioned are also appealing. Another local dealer has an Exmark Lazer Z with the 96" deck that looks sweet - but it should at $40k.

Probably cost you more in the long and your back will still hurt trying to satisfy it but man what fun would cuttin grass be
0EEC0569-388B-4266-B1BF-71F51E33EFEE.png

• Haha
Reactions: Waorani