• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

computers and shooting

computers and shooting

• Total voters

Fred @ Bison Tactical

Bison Tactical
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 18, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    www.bisontactical.com
    I am curious how many folks carry a computer out to the field when your shooting. I would be interested to hear the pros/cons that went into your decision making process. Some things I have been thinking about are:

1. bigger screen size, heavier weight
    2. tracking data in an electronic format vs databook
    3. reloading information management in electronic format vs. paper
    etc....

Saving-Private-Ryan-Pencil.jpg

An FDAC is about the only tool that goes with me to the field and a Kestral. I do all my calcs at home, take plenty of readings and pics of all my groups. Calcs, crunch and back to the field the next time.

Not that you can not be productive with an ipad or laptop. I just want all of my shooting to be simple as possible.

Thats just me.

FDAC http://www.triadtactical.com/Field-Density-Altitude-Compensator.html

I've been using the Strelok app on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 in an Otterbox for most of the summer. That's pretty much what I bought it for. However, since buying it, I've also obtained an SIII phone that I can use if I need to. But, the tablet is pretty much my dedicated "ballistics computer" and I like the bigger screen.

ETA: I also still run dope cards off of JBM on my home computer and those stay with the rifles. So, if I need to set up for a shot in a hurry, I use the dope cards.

None, now.

But I am thinking of an iPad mini if the new version comes with a higher resolution screen.

And then I would use Ballistic AE with it.

I use an iPad mini with Shooter during range sessions, and keep all my data in a data book. Shooter works well to get me in the ballpark for longer shots that I don't have hard data for. I shot the heatstroke open with new ammo and a data card printed from Shooter and hit most of the targets on the UKD range with it.

All my data is hard copy and laminated.

I am curious how many folks carry a computer out to the field when your shooting. I would be interested to hear the pros/cons that went into your decision making process. Some things I have been thinking about are:

1. bigger screen size, heavier weight
    2. tracking data in an electronic format vs databook
    3. reloading information management in electronic format vs. paper
    etc....

I'm running all my Data Apps on the (Google) ASUS Nexus 7 and The Battery usually lasts up to 13 hours or more and the hi rez screen helps along with the GPS and Maps and weather Apps etc,and I also have them On my Samaung Phones But I always have my Ballistic apps with me. But untill lately I have always done things old school and these apps help with fine tuning, I know a Little about shooting and my Laser tells me a bit and the Tablet just helps out when I think too Much

John

Last edited:
    I use a Kestrel, Laser Range Finder, and an Ipod with JBM to get me in the ballpark before shooting. Log everything and make notes in a logbook and track my progress that way.

Have Bulletflight, MD Ballistics and Ballistics AE on my iPhone and iPad, but only take my iPhone to the range. Haven't had time to decide which is the "best", but seem to use MD Ballistics the most. I will be shooting Rem 260 120 and 140 gr, 308 with SMK 168 and 175 gr BTHP and 338LM 250 and 300 gr. Once I determine the best loads and bullets forbthos calibers, I plan to order an Accuracy 1st Civilian Custom Whiz Wheel Ballistic Calculator. You can input you bullet ballistic data on their website and they will custom print a plastic interchangeable light weight accurate ballistic calculator, which is a simple compact solution for multiple range cards. Especially useful in my DTA SRS, since many barrels used in the same receiver.

http://www.accuracy1stdg.com/store/itemDetail.cfm?prodID=504

This is what I bring with me when i go out to the West Deserts of Utah for some long range shooting

- IPad with Ballistic's AE
    - Kestrel 4500
    - Lazer Range Finder

This is what I bring with me when i go out to the West Deserts of Utah for some long range shooting

- IPad with Ballistic's AE
    - Kestrel 4500
    - Lazer Range Finder

Eric? which 4500 have you got???

John

I just have the Kestrel 4500 NV version. I'm not running the Horus Ballistic or the Applied Ballistic versions.

Cooool, I did'nt know they made a straight out 4500 NV til latelyl, I got the Apps on my Tablet and my phones so I just wanted to keep it simple,

John

Kestrel and KAC Bulletflight. I always have a small notebook and pen with me. I log most sessions and keep track of loads, dope and round counts in my little notebook.