• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Cub Scouts Now Awarding a Video Game Merit

shankster..

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2004
North Idaho
http://www.aolnews.com/weird-news/articl..._aolnews_inline

April 28) -- <span style="font-weight: bold">I might be wrong, but I thought the entire purpose of the Boy Scouts was "developing character, citizenship and personal fitness." So I guess the natural evolution of promoting duty to one's self, one's nation and one's physical health is to offer kids a reward for playing video games.

According to Scouting.org, the official website for the Boy Scouts of America, Cub Scouts can earn a video game belt loop by completing these three tasks:

Boy Scouts of America
This Cub Scout video game belt loop is one of 53 belt loops that Cub Scouts can earn. </span>

Explain why it is important to have a rating system for video games.

Check your video games to be sure they are right for your age.

With an adult, create a schedule for you to do things that include your chores, homework and video gaming. Do your best to follow this schedule.
Learn to play a new video game that is approved by your parent, guardian or teacher.

<span style="font-weight: bold">After they receive the belt loop (which they will obviously need for their belt, which will hold their pants up over the enormous gut they earned sitting around playing video games and being a Scout), the Scouts can then earn a pin by completing five of these nine tasks:</span>

With your parents, create a plan to buy a video game that is right for your age group.

Compare two game systems (for example, Microsoft Xbox, Sony PlayStation, Nintendo Wii and so on).

Explain some of the differences between the two. List good reasons to purchase or use a game system.

Play a video game with family members in a family tournament.

Teach an adult or a friend how to play a video game.

List at least five tips that would help someone who was learning how to play your favorite video game.

Play an appropriate video game with a friend for one hour.

Play a video game that will help you practice your math, spelling or another skill that helps you in your schoolwork.

Choose a game you might like to purchase. Compare the price for this game at three different stores.

Decide which store has the best deal. In your decision, be sure to consider things like the store return policy and the manufacturer's warranty.

With an adult's supervision, install a gaming system.

Re: Cub Scouts Now Awarding a Video Game Merit

The official website for the Boy Scouts of America, Cub Scouts can earn a video game belt loop.

I give up on everything! Please beam me up Scotty; I am in a world of shit.

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start = only 1 merit badge?

Should get you 30...so that's some bullshit.

Hmmmmm, merit to playing video games...
I suppose in this day of technoligical advancements in war, this is a non worthwhile subject for a good Boy Scout.

Bump to age 18:
Son, how much gaming experience do you have in games like Airborne Attack*, Bomb Killer*, and 'Bot Bomber*?

Oh not much sir, I could only play tame games like Drive*, Milquetoaste Johnny*, and Candy Land*

Well son, how do you think you will pass the training to manipulate a multimillion dollar Predator Aircraft or a million dollar IED Destroyer? WHy don't you come bak after you have defeated the games I asked you about, and let your parents know we mean business when we want you playing combat oriented remote driven games

*Names I made up, duuuuuh!

Really though, modern warfare demands that some kids excel in certain types of video games
grin.gif

I actually think this is a good thing. Having a kid and understanding the challenges of the video game fact of life there is merrit to what they are trying to teach. My guess is these things are the real motivation, the rest is just fluff.

Explain why it is important to have a rating system for video games.

Check your video games to be sure they are right for your age.

With an adult, create a schedule for you to do things that include your chores, homework and video gaming. Do your best to follow this schedule.
Learn to play a new video game that is approved by your parent, guardian or teacher.

You have to get the video badge before you can start working on the Texting badge.