• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

Yes, the new version is pillar bedded. Can't speak to the OPs experience, but as much as I liked the T4, the PRS is even more comfortable. I had just settled into a 455 VPT when I had the opportunity to get into a 457 VPT and the stock was one of the reasons I made the transition.

good to hear. i will be making the transition myself here soon enough

Reactions: POGPride
very nice build. how do you like the new manners stock? did it come pillar bedded like the rest of the 457's?

As mentioned above the stock is great. Yes it is pillar bedded. I really liked the T4 one the 454 but the PRS is even better.

The whole rig (455 vs 457) did lose some weight and I need to get used to that.

Thinking about one of these as a trainer. They come in 16.5, 20, and 24 inch. I plan on using a can on it most of the time. Is there any reason to get anything longer than the 20.5” ? Surely all the powder of a rimfire is burned up at 20 inches. (probably at 16”) What is y’alls take on it?

Thinking about one of these as a trainer. They come in 16.5, 20, and 24 inch. I plan on using a can on it most of the time. Is there any reason to get anything longer than the 20.5” ? Surely all the powder of a rimfire is burned up at 20 inches. (probably at 16”) What is y’alls take on it?

With a can I'd go 16.5, no need to go any longer. The only times I go longer are if I'm using aperture sights, for better sight radius or if I'm using a tuner. Tuners work best on barrels between 22 and 25 inches.

WHERE did you find a 457 precision in stock, especially for a deal? I haven't had any luck finding one at all!

Reactions: POGPride
Unless Area 419 is adding parts they don't list on the page, they are about $100 higher than you can order the parts and rifle separately.

Reactions: JKW70
No. I missed the threaded barrel. But I also found the MTR for less ($641.26 shipped) than $659.33 I paid just for the rifle.

Last edited:
Guys with the 457 MTR, does it come with metal mags or same poly as 455? I've seen/read both referenced.

My 457 American came with a single 5rd poly mag, while my MTR came with a steel 5rd mag. I also bought a Varmint for resale, and it's also got a 5rd poly mag.

Reactions: B-P-UU
My MTR came with a single 5-round metal mag. I bought two 10-round poly mags to use with the MTR also and they have worked fine.

Reactions: B-P-UU
@ billmeek, where did you order the 10 round mags from?

Brownell's:

I didn't really price shop the mags as I only ordered two. But I did use a promo code that knocked off 5% and provided free shipping. Cost to the door was $72.19 for 2 mags.

Reactions: JKW70 and POGPride
I got a chance to test out two different types of ammo in my 457 Pro Varmint today. I have been shooting the SK Standard Plus through it with fairly pleasant results. From local rimfire BR matches (shooting factory class), to stretching it out to 240 yards on steel, it has been pretty consistent.

I am somewhere between 750-800 rounds down the pipe now, with no cleanings. It is still continuing to tighten up and I am more open to trying different/better ammo through it. I ordered several boxes of SK Rifle Match and SK Long Range Match. Both shot well at 50 yards. I shot 5, 5 shot groups and then shot the 25 BR targets.** Groups were shot from a bench with Atlas bipod and sandbag in the rear **

I am going to move them back to 100 yards to try and make a final call on which one to load up on. Both ammos, with my rifle, are capable of 250 scores. The few that left the 10 ring, I knew when the shot broke. I am still loving the rifle and I’m very happy with it!

Attachments

• 0AFD04ED-BA7A-46C6-BFA0-CF54228D9A45.jpeg
    0AFD04ED-BA7A-46C6-BFA0-CF54228D9A45.jpeg
    428.4 KB · Views: 227
  • 7082FA99-92DE-4D04-9D02-60CF417C36BD.jpeg
    7082FA99-92DE-4D04-9D02-60CF417C36BD.jpeg
    433.6 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
I got a chance to test out two different types of ammo in my 457 Pro Varmint today. I have been shooting the SK Standard Plus through it with fairly pleasant results. From local rimfire BR matches (shooting factory class), to stretching it out to 240 yards on steel, it has been pretty consistent.

I am somewhere between 750-800 rounds down the pipe now, with no cleanings. It is still continuing to tighten up and I am more open to trying different/better ammo through it. I ordered several boxes of SK Rifle Match and SK Long Range Match. Both shot well at 50 yards. I shot 5, 5 shot groups and then shot the 25 BR targets.** Groups were shot from a bench with Atlas bipod and sandbag in the rear **

I am going to move them back to 100 yards to try and make a final call on which one to load up on. Both ammos, with my rifle, are capable of 250 scores. The few that left the 10 ring, I knew when the shot broke. I am still loving the rifle and I’m very happy with it!
I'm very pleased with the CZ 457 MTR varmint. Installed a Leupold vx3i efr. No trigger adjustments (yet). See pics at 50 yds.
IMG_20190407_174558279.jpg
IMG_20190407_174545904.jpg
IMG_20190407_174558279.jpg
IMG_20190407_174545904.jpg

Groups shot with aguila pistol match ammo

Thanks, was just going to ask. My MTR from Area 419 gets in on Wednesday along with a Gen2 Razor, have only bought some CCI Quiet for the back yard and am kicking myself for not having purchased a dedicated 22 suppressor. Not that it really matters, it's just the dogs that hate guns.

Hoping to have it up by Easter weekend, just need to figure out whether I can get away with a 1 piece mount or have to run rings to try and get it as low as possible to maybe avoid making the stock adjustable.

Reactions: JKW70
I have had CZ's in the past and really like the 457 MTR. But having a Vudoo Apparition in a MPA competition BA chassis has ruined my desire for another 22LR. And I love target 22 rifles.

I have a question for you guys that have this rifle, I seem to remember the old 453 had a set trigger like its bigger brothers....I can't find out...or am missing it....if this model has a set trigger.

I have had CZ's in the past and really like the 457 MTR. But having a Vudoo Apparition in a MPA competition BA chassis has ruined my desire for another 22LR. And I love target 22 rifles.

I understand completely - much as I like the MTR I finally got, and much as I love the appearance of the 457 American, when it comes right down to the brass tacks, the 40XB that jelrod converted for me, and the V-22s are on a whole 'nuther level when it comes to competition. However, I still admire the CZ457s - in spite of very mediocre accuracy of the American I bought. In fact, I intend to re-barrel it to deal with the accuracy issue. And with a larger/longer bolt knob, I think the MTR would be a good rifle for NRL22 matches.

I have a question for you guys that have this rifle, I seem to remember the old 453 had a set trigger like its bigger brothers....I can't find out...or am missing it....if this model has a set trigger.

No set trigger - the new 457 trigger is - IMHO - a much better trigger. I was able to easily adjust both of mine down to 1.1lb on the American, and just under 1lb on the MTR. No spring swapping, just adjust the sear engagement, weight of pull, and over travel, and bingo - you're set.

Just took possession of a 457 MTR, my first CZ and first true precision .22. Getting ready to order a 419 rail and bolt knob. Does anyone know if I can use the 419 Improved Bipod Rail by screwing into the swivel stud slots? I really don't want to drill on the stock but I was wanting to run an Atlas. I am quite pleased with the craftsmanship and attention to details. The only blah thing about the MTR was the verbiage in the stippling/checkering I had not seen on rifles online. It shipped with a .26 group from the electronic printout with Lapua X-act at 50 meters, for a time frame reference, this target was shot on 1/8/19, just 2 months ago.

Reactions: reubenski
Just took possession of a 457 MTR, my first CZ and first true precision .22. Getting ready to order a 419 rail and bolt knob. Does anyone know if I can use the 419 Improved Bipod Rail by screwing into the swivel stud slots? I really don't want to drill on the stock but I was wanting to run an Atlas. I am quite pleased with the craftsmanship and attention to details. The only blah thing about the MTR was the verbiage in the stippling/checkering I had not seen on rifles online. It shipped with a .26 group from the electronic printout with Lapua X-act at 50 meters, for a time frame reference, this target was shot on 1/8/19, just 2 months ago.

check directly with area 419 on that question. they are really good about responding to emails about that stuff. they should have a good idea too because they are selling tricked out MTRs with all their goodies (0 or 30moa rail, threaded barrel and arcalock rail)

check directly with area 419 on that question. they are really good about responding to emails about that stuff. they should have a good idea too because they are selling tricked out MTRs with all their goodies (0 or 30moa rail, threaded barrel and arcalock rail)

Email has been sent. I will share the response.

Update: the IBR will need to have T-Nuts installed to work on the MTR.

Last edited:
No set trigger - the new 457 trigger is - IMHO - a much better trigger. I was able to easily adjust both of mine down to 1.1lb on the American, and just under 1lb on the MTR. No spring swapping, just adjust the sear engagement, weight of pull, and over travel, and bingo - you're set.

Thanks for the info.....I really like that set trigger on the center fire rifles....The trigger on my 527 is set to a hairs breath after you push it forward, but the "normal" trigger is around 3-ish pounds IIRC. It makes it great for dragging around then if you want to bench the rifle just push it forward and bingo.

I will keep hunting for an old 453.

I re-barreled a CZ527 Carbine 7.62x39 to 6RAT several years ago. It's a neat little rifle with a 24" Krieger #4 sporter contour bbl, but I never liked the set trigger. In fact, I disliked it sufficiently to remove the set mechanism & replaced it with a Rifle Basix and never looked back.

I'm actually quite impressed with CZ for going to the expense of engineering the trigger for the new 457. Actually, I think they may have developed this trigger for the 557, and just made the modifications to fit it to the 457 action. Whatever, it's one of the nicest OEM triggers available on a mass-produced sporter IMHO.

Reactions: BigRed308
Thanks for the info.....I really like that set trigger on the center fire rifles....The trigger on my 527 is set to a hairs breath after you push it forward, but the "normal" trigger is around 3-ish pounds IIRC. It makes it great for dragging around then if you want to bench the rifle just push it forward and bingo.

I will keep hunting for an old 453.
I had my 453 stolen a few years back, one thing most don't recall. They had issues , saw several posts back then, mine had the same. One part was weak in the trigger, no fix. When using the set feature it only would.work about 80 to 90 percent of the time. Push forward, pull and click nothing. Push forward to reset and it would work. Loved it though.

I just buttoned up a 419 30 moa rail and bolt knob. All I can say is CZ did is a favor by threading the bolts, atleast on the MTR, but damn they love loctite. Almost had myself convinced the threaded bolt knob was just a myth.

Can you change between a .22lr barrel and a .17 hmr barrel on these or is the bolt face different? I want the manners stock but want a .17 hmr so I’m trying to find the easiest route to get there without having to wait 6 months for a stock from manners.

I am under the assumption that you can swap these just like the 455 since CZ has published videos on swapping the magazine blocks over and stated the 457 uses the same barrel interchange design as the 455

Went out today to just mostly get it on paper since conditions are less than ideal. Found a spot where I hunt that blocked a bit of the wind and shot with the wind.
All shots are 5rds at 50yds.

Saving my better ammo for a day with less winds. Was really pleased with the CCI SV.

Reactions: Merlin O
I haven't been able to get mine out due to wind, but I really like that your barrel shot CCI well.

Anyone got hands on a 16.5” 457 VPT yet? Seen one out in the wild? It’s starting to feel like I ordered a custom action, “couple weeks yet”.