• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

Can anyone with an American model tell me how long the barrel is at the end of the forearm?

100% planning on getting a 457 soon. Hopefully this is a quick question for someone: is the trigger the same on all the 457 models, or are some "average" and some "match grade"?

100% planning on getting a 457 soon. Hopefully this is a quick question for someone: is the trigger the same on all the 457 models, or are some "average" and some "match grade"?
Some have match bbls. I believe they all have the same trigger. My 457 MTR and my Royal have the same trigger.
they are very nice.

Reactions: darth_ritis
@Bradu - you definitely want to try out a variety of the SK ammo's. A lot of people have seen really good results with them in the factory barrels. What kind of accuracy goals are you looking for?

I would like to get around 1 moa at 100 with calm conditions. I bought a couple kinds of sk, lapua and I have some cci sv and norma ammo to try too. A friend just bought the same rifle to practice with so it has to at least shoot better than his ?

Reactions: MDrimfirerookie

Looking at the specs on CZ’s website at the different 457 models, some say adjustable trigger and some say fully adjustable. I contacted CZ about it and they told me they are all the same. I just bought a scout and the trigger on it outta the box fells better than my MTR did out of the box

Reactions: darth_ritis
I would like to get around 1 moa at 100 with calm conditions. I bought a couple kinds of sk, lapua and I have some cci sv and norma ammo to try too. A friend just bought the same rifle to practice with so it has to at least shoot better than his ?

looks like you are on the right track with that ammo for your goals. have fun

Reactions: Bradu
MDrimfirerookie is absolutely right. Myself and two friends have CZ457’s. We have 2 pro varmints and 1 precision trainer. We all started out with Eley ammo hoping it would shoot but it turned out SK is what they all liked. Mine seems to shoot any SK ammo well but I have been using Standard Plus. The more expensive SK ammo and Lapua Center X may shoot a tiny bit better but it isn’t proportional to the price difference. For the money the SK Standard Plus is hard to beat. On a calm day I probably average a little over .75 moa at 100 yards with it. I just hate the wax SK and Lapua use but I guess I will just have to deal with it.

Has anyone “accurized” their Boyd’s Pro Varmint Barrel by opening it up the barrel channel a bit I can begin to slide a dollar under mine. It is pretty tight and touching the barrel.

Has anyone “accurized” their Boyd’s Pro Varmint Barrel by opening it up the barrel channel a bit I can begin to slide a dollar under mine. It is pretty tight and touching the barrel.
My PV had a couple of spots where the barrel channel was a little tight, and it wouldn't pass the dollar bill test.. I took a 7/8" dowel rod and wrapped some 60 grit sandpaper around it and opened up the channel until the bill slide without any resistance.. I smoothed it out with some 220 grit, and spayed painted it with some black paint and all is good.. looks factory..

My PV had a couple of spots where the barrel channel was a little tight, and it wouldn't pass the dollar bill test.. I took a 7/8" dowel rod and wrapped some 60 grit sandpaper around it and opened up the channel until the bill slide without any resistance.. I smoothed it out with some 220 grit, and spayed painted it with some black paint and all is good.. looks factory..
I did that with my 455, just haven’t heard any talk of anyone doing the 457.

I was planning to but honestly it shot so well as is I didn’t bother. It was accurate enough with the SK ammo that I really couldn’t imaging beading and opening up the barrel channel would have made much difference. At least it wouldn’t with me shooting. I’m horriable at setting and shooting groups. I just don’t have the patience for it and always rush through.

I picked up the MDT ACC chassis. Added a 22" IBI barrel. Still working on ammo selection but is a dream to shoot. Just need warmer weather. lol

Attachments

• IMG_6041.jpg
    IMG_6041.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 178
Reactions: littlepod
Going to play around with this to see how it shoots. Hopefully I don't have to buy a bartlein barrel for it to shoot the way I want. Just a temporary scope for now, not sure what I'm actually going to run.View attachment 7186461
Good luck, my factory barrel was very inconsistent. Maybe you hit the barrel lottery.

Good luck, my factory barrel was very inconsistent. Maybe you hit the barrel lottery.

I'm probably going to buy a bartlein from area 419 if I'm not happy with the results. Hopefully it doesn't come to that but it's not the end of the world.

Reactions: 1911Operator
I'm probably going to buy a bartlein from area 419 if I'm not happy with the results. Hopefully it doesn't come to that but it's not the end of the world.
I put a Bartlein from Bartlein on mine last week.

how hard was it to change out the bolt knob from the factory to the Area419?

how hard was it to change out the bolt knob from the factory to the Area419?

I used a piece of rubber and channel locks to unscrew the factory knob. Wasn't too bad to take off, although, some people said they used heat.

Lots of upgrades today on the 457. Area 419 bolt knob, arca rail, and 30 MOA scope base. Camo paint job and Athlon Midas Tac. I need to install a cheek riser tomorrow and get some rounds down range for the first time. The 419 rail is really tall. Low rings and it’s still high. I also opened up the barrel channel.

Attachments

• FB24DA9D-362D-4C64-91BF-7E69B131A2EC.jpeg
    FB24DA9D-362D-4C64-91BF-7E69B131A2EC.jpeg
    673 KB · Views: 190
Lots of upgrades today on the 457. Area 419 bolt knob, arca rail, and 30 MOA scope base. Camo paint job and Athlon Midas Tac. I need to install a cheek riser tomorrow and get some rounds down range for the first time. The 419 rail is really tall. Low rings and it’s still high. I also opened up the barrel channel.
That looks Awesome !! Nice job !!!

Just went and shot my MTR after picking it up from Area419. Bolt close is a bit harder that I would like, but it engraves really well with my Aguila Super Extra Std Vel and some CCI Std Vel. Both shot about .5" at 50yrds. I think this rifle is gonna treat me well. Gonna put a trigger spring from @AirGunShawn and polish up the trigger surfaces to get it down in pull to get closer to my centerfires, but I think this is gonna make positional practice at my 200 and in home range much more worthwhile.

It's the lightweight cheek that Manners offers on their compact stocks. Pretty straight forward install, if you're comfortable drilling 2 1/2" holes in a brand new CF Manners. It comes with 2 1/8" spacers and 1 1/4" spacer for a max height of 1/2". I have the 1/4" in it and its perfect.

I was contemplating having StockDoc do a full Loggerhead job, but I HATE sending stuff out for work. After speaking with Jim at Manners, I went with this option and did the install myself with a drill and a little MarineTex. I am in no way disappointed. It looked like it might have too much flex in the pictures online, but it is solid as a rock.

View attachment 7087649

View attachment 7087650
did you use a normal drill or do you own a drill press? I want to do this to mine but if I have Manners do it its a 2 months wait but if I do it my self I scared I'll mess up.

did you use a normal drill or do you own a drill press? I want to do this to mine but if I have Manners do it its a 2 months wait but if I do it my self I scared I'll mess up.
I have a drill press, but I just used a DeWalt hand drill to do this, mainly out of laziness. Marked the bit with tape for depth and let her rip. You'll want a higher drill speed to cut the CF shell, but beware, it drills like styrofoam after you break through. The good thing is, if you drill too deep you can fill the hole to the right depth with Marine-Tex.

Last edited:
Thanks for the vid. That chassis version looks interesting. Impact has it available for preorder for $986, so it looks like it's going to be about the same price as the new Bergara B-14R.

Very nice. Looks almost MDT LSS ish.... I really am digging the longer handguard. Solid performer for sure. Hope they offer the chassis by itself . I think they should have at least offered it to come with a tactical knob, picatinny rail, and a extended mag release.
Should be a solid performer. I like the MBA-3 stock.
Thanks for the vid. That chassis version looks interesting. Impact has it available for preorder for $986, so it looks like it's going to be about the same price as the new Bergara B-14R.

I just looked at the MDT site and they have a LSS or ACC chassis for the CZ 457. It is like 980.00 complete.
As much as I would like one, I will be leaving my MTR as is. I just cant spend that kind of money on mine because she shoots so well as she is. Besides, I just upgraded the scope on my MTR to a Trijicon 5-50x56 like my V22

Attachments

• DSC00011.JPG
    DSC00011.JPG
    346.5 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC00012.JPG
    DSC00012.JPG
    355.1 KB · Views: 87
I have been reading about the ignition on the 455's being improved with a new spring, anyone know if the spring is the same from the 455 to the 457? I'm mainly just playing around to see what I can get out of the little gun so I figured a cheap spring would be worth trying.

I have been reading about the ignition on the 455's being improved with a new spring, anyone know if the spring is the same from the 455 to the 457? I'm mainly just playing around to see what I can get out of the little gun so I figured a cheap spring would be worth trying.
I was looking at the CZ web site and they have lots of small parts cheap. Little stuff like pins and springs for around 2.00 bucks. They probably just changed something simple like the wire diameter to change the spring rate to increase the firing pin impact force. Also McMaster Carr and Lee springs would be a good place to get springs. Avoid stainless steel as they actually have a spring rate of approximately 85% of the music wire type. Meaning they are weaker given the same size. I just looked at taking my 457 bolt apart.... what a PITA!

I was looking at the CZ web site and they have lots of small parts cheap. Little stuff like pins and springs for around 2.00 bucks. They probably just changed something simple like the wire diameter to change the spring rate to increase the firing pin impact force. Also McMaster Carr and Lee springs would be a good place to get springs. Avoid stainless steel as they actually have a spring rate of approximately 85% of the music wire type. Meaning they are weaker given the same size. I just looked at taking my 457 bolt apart.... what a PITA!
Actually it’s quite simple to tear down the bolt on a 457 and should take you less than a minute to do it.

Actually it’s quite simple to tear down the bolt on a 457 and should take you less than a minute to do it.
Can you tell me what I missed? I had trouble with the cross pin and stopped there. I did think that if I took the extractor and front clip off, the firing pin may just tilt up and allow for removal of the pin. I just have not done it yet as mine was not need of any service.

Hi Guy's..... I need a semi auto for next year and wanted something different. Has anybody heard anything about the Kriss Defiance DMK22C .22LR? I could get a Ruger or even a Bergara but I really dislike the box magazine they use. It appers to be totally customizable just like any AR and is made in the USA and constructed of aluminum.
You can also swap out any type of Ruger bbl. into it if you like. I would love to hear from anyone who has one.

Attachments

• DM22-Black.png
    DM22-Black.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 66
Hi Guy's..... I need a semi auto for next year and wanted something different. Has anybody heard anything about the Kriss Defiance DMK22C .22LR? I could get a Ruger or even a Bergara but I really dislike the box magazine they use. It appers to be totally customizable just like any AR and is made in the USA and constructed of aluminum.
You can also swap out any type of Ruger bbl. into it if you like. I would love to hear from anyone who has one.

Can you tell me what I missed? I had trouble with the cross pin and stopped there. I did think that if I took the extractor and front clip off, the firing pin may just tilt up and allow for removal of the pin. I just have not done it yet as mine was not need of any service.

After removing the bolt put the bolt in the closed position and stand the bolt on end and from the the rear of the bolt compress it down . The cross pin will push out then.

Last edited:
AirGunShawn - I bought a CLE (Compass Lake Engineering) 22RF dedicated AR SR upper back in the late '90 to use for practicing offhand & slow prone shooting while I was in the hunt for leg points. It was very accurate, at times out-shooting my Anschutz 1611, and definitely helped me leg-out & earn my Distinguished Rifleman Badge. After I legged-out, I sold that upper to a good friend who was also working on his Badge. Eventually, I missed it to the point that I bought another modified conversion unit & Douglas SS match bbl from CLE, and put together another dedicated 22RF upper. It shoots at least as good as that first one did, and actually out-shot my Stiller 2500XR/Krieger & 40X/Benchmark 22RF repeaters at 200yds with a select lot of SK Std+. My only regret is that I had Frank do the bbl on this one in a heavy SR contour & 20" length, so the resulting rifle is just as heavy as a match grade 223 upper. If I had it to do over again, I'd have had him turn it to a lighter contour, and probably finish at 18" instead of 20", so I wouldn't have to lug around so much weight.

I've never shot anything but match grade std vel ammo through either of those uppers, and at times - especially in cold weather - it'll fail to fully cycle for the first few rounds. I don't know if running hi vel ammo through it would damage anything, but have been shooting it with Lapua Polar Biathlon, which typically chronographs at very nearly 1100fps. That gives better reliability, something that was never a concern when shooting the original upper only in offhand & slow prone. I bought three Black Dog 10rd magazines for it, as I find them easier to load than the little 10rd insert mags that come with the M261 conversion unit. Just wish Black Dog would see fit to reduce the length of these mags to the same as a 20rd GI mag, as they're the same length as a 30rd GI mag, which makes it impossible to shoot off a bench. For bench ammo accuracy testing, I just revert back to the little insert mags. I put a Geissele B-G2S-E trigger in the lower of this rifle, replacing the RRA 2-stage NM trigger I'd set the lower up with, because the RRA trigger gives all sorts of cycling issues due to too much spring tension. The Geissele is a sweet trigger, and improved cycling a bunch.

Hello Dennis
AirGunShawn - I bought a CLE (Compass Lake Engineering) 22RF dedicated AR SR upper back in the late '90 to use for practicing offhand & slow prone shooting while I was in the hunt for leg points. It was very accurate, at times out-shooting my Anschutz 1611, and definitely helped me leg-out & earn my Distinguished Rifleman Badge. After I legged-out, I sold that upper to a good friend who was also working on his Badge. Eventually, I missed it to the point that I bought another modified conversion unit & Douglas SS match bbl from CLE, and put together another dedicated 22RF upper. It shoots at least as good as that first one did, and actually out-shot my Stiller 2500XR/Krieger & 40X/Benchmark 22RF repeaters at 200yds with a select lot of SK Std+. My only regret is that I had Frank do the bbl on this one in a heavy SR contour & 20" length, so the resulting rifle is just as heavy as a match grade 223 upper. If I had it to do over again, I'd have had him turn it to a lighter contour, and probably finish at 18" instead of 20", so I wouldn't have to lug around so much weight.

I've never shot anything but match grade std vel ammo through either of those uppers, and at times - especially in cold weather - it'll fail to fully cycle for the first few rounds. I don't know if running hi vel ammo through it would damage anything, but have been shooting it with Lapua Polar Biathlon, which typically chronographs at very nearly 1100fps. That gives better reliability, something that was never a concern when shooting the original upper only in offhand & slow prone. I bought three Black Dog 10rd magazines for it, as I find them easier to load than the little 10rd insert mags that come with the M261 conversion unit. Just wish Black Dog would see fit to reduce the length of these mags to the same as a 20rd GI mag, as they're the same length as a 30rd GI mag, which makes it impossible to shoot off a bench. For bench ammo accuracy testing, I just revert back to the little insert mags. I put a Geissele B-G2S-E trigger in the lower of this rifle, replacing the RRA 2-stage NM trigger I'd set the lower up with, because the RRA trigger gives all sorts of cycling issues due to too much spring tension. The Geissele is a sweet trigger, and improved cycling a bunch.
Hello Dennis, I have a lower with a Geissele SSP trigger that I can use. I would prefer to have a higher quality upper from CLE than a mediocre .22 rifle. Could you post a photo of your upper please? If you don't mind me asking.... how much was your upper? As I recall, my SSP is about 3.25 lbs. but it doesn't feel like it at all. Your right.... they are very sweet
Thanks so much
Shawn Carroll

Attachments

• DSC09612.JPG
    DSC09612.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 49
After removing the bolt put the bolt in the closed position and stand the bolt on end and from the the rear of the bolt compress it down . The cross pin will push out then.
After looking at the exploded parts diagram, I could see that the firing pin has a slot with a hole at one end. That would mean that the firing pin would need to be in the fired or relaxed position. The bolt closed position. And since I did not want to fight with the spring, I put the bolt in a wooden clamp. My pin was a pain to remove. I did it your way as well, and it was also a pain. It appears that I have a burr or a very tight fit between my pin and the firing pin slot. Please don't misunderstand this, I do appreciate your reply. I was hopeful that I had missed something.
Shawn

Attachments

• DSC00069.JPG
    DSC00069.JPG
    545.4 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC00071.JPG
    DSC00071.JPG
    329.9 KB · Views: 86