• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

I just resize the photos on my Mac. Not hard to do, open photo in viewer, click on tools, click on resize, I think 800x800 pixels is the size I chose for posting on most websites.

After playing with my parallax setting a bit to get it dialed in 'more correctly' at 100 yards, and getting a chance to shoot with lower winds (although at times I was still dealing with a bit of lateral winds), I was able to get some pretty decent groups. Prior to getting my parallax correct, I couldn't seem to get down to 1.0". After, I got down to slightly larger than 0.5" for my best 5 shot group.

IMG_9548.JPG

IMG_9547.JPG

IMG_9546.JPG

IMG_9545.JPG

Got my first groundhog today with the new CZ 457-super excited after hunting the Wiley varmint! Is it ok to post photos of vermin here? Wanted to check before posting. Adult male, 40 yard shot-perfect placement. One shot, One kill...

Yep, he was doing damage to my sister in law's property and I was told 'they have to go!'.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShellShock89
Got my first groundhog this morning with the new CZ 457-super excited after 4 hours of hunting the Wiley varmint! Is it ok to post photos of kills here? Wanted to check before posting. Adult male, 40 yard shot-perfect placement. One shot, One kill...

guy posted a kill pic on the RimX thread. He’s banned now.

guy posted a kill pic on the RimX thread. He’s banned now.
Wow-glad I asked then! Don't intend to stir the pot at all. Thanks for the info. I'll go back and look for the forum rules again-so many different rules for different forums, FB groups, etc it's easy to lose track. Thank you for kindly informing me.

It was pretty pointless kills of birds that were quite possibly protected. killing a Varmint that is destroying the foundation of your house is one thing or a trophy deer but that guy was repeatedly posing photos of animals he killed just to kill. I have seen plenty of kill photos but the way he was posting them and then deliberately provoking a mod when asked to stop is what got him banned.

Reactions: Basher
It was pretty pointless kills of birds that were quite possibly protected. killing a Varmint that is destroying the foundation of your house is one thing or a trophy deer but that guy was repeatedly posing photos of animals he killed just to kill. I have seen plenty of kill photos but the way he was posting them and then deliberately provoking a mod when asked to stop is what got him banned.
Yeah, thanks. I just looked over on the other thread and think I see what you guys are referring to. I'll not post the photos just to be on the safe side. None-the-less, it was a great success today to be able to help her out. Really like the new CZ.

I found a post in this thread about someone having issues with a failure to eject on the last round out of the mag. I'm having the same issue with all 5 of my 10 round mags but not the 5 round mag that came with the gun. I had 3 round extensions on all of the 10 round magazines so I put the original base plates back on and I still have the ejection problem.

Anyone else having this issue? Anyone found a solution?

Same problem with my 10 round mags. Strange.....

No solution as of yet....
The only difference that I can see is that the 10 round mag followers slope backwards when the mag is empty, the 5 rounders remain almost flush with the top of the mag. I just slow cycled my bolt several times with an empty case and empty magazine and it looks as if the next round in the magazine is actually what is keeping upward pressure on the extracted case. On the last round, it will extract until the case clears the chamber, and then the case falls out of the extractors.

Reactions: Merlin O
Has anyone tried the MPA mount? MPA CZ457
No MPA mount but better than that, the MPA chassis.
IMG_20200322_183048.jpg
IMG_20200322_185254.jpg
IMG_20200322_185240.jpg

For whatever reason it's hard to beat SK Rifle Match.
457 IBI SK RM 4-25-20.jpg
457 SK RM .351.jpg

457 IBI SK RM 4-25-20.jpg

I thought I would introduce my helpers in holding my targets while I photo them. And yes, that is my very own Trumpy Bear!! :cool:
IMG_20200427_192320.jpg

Reactions: *rim-star*
sphillips - That's a very nice looking 457 Varmint model. I've seen photos of a couple of these rifles over on RFC that had nice stocks with some decent figure; the buttstock on mine was so plain that I thought at first it was just stained pine... Yours is head-and-shoulders nicer than mine - enjoy!

sphillips - That's a very nice looking 457 Varmint model. I've seen photos of a couple of these rifles over on RFC that had nice stocks with some decent figure; the buttstock on mine was so plain that I thought at first it was just stained pine... Yours is head-and-shoulders nicer than mine - enjoy!
Thank you!
Mine looked plain also when I purchased it, but after a little polishing of the wood with some Mother’s polish the stock turned out a lot better. If I remember correctly I did three or four coats of polish and then a good buffing with a microfiber cloth.

Last edited:
Kissofdeath which mount did you go with? I am hoping to have mine tomorrow.

I have a MDT base ordered but they don’t know when they will have them in. Ordered online and they took money out of my account

This CZ thing has my interest you guys have sum nice rigs! Whsts the advantage or disadvantages of the 24” barrel? I’ve always herd you don’t need more than 16”s with a 22. I’ve been looking for a nice bolt 22 for my truck running around on the farm and I’ll be picking one of Varminters up here soon

So guys, I have a question (not sure if I should start a new thread or just ask it here-sorry if this is out of context for this thread): before getting my 457 MTR, I was planning on getting a 455 of some Varmint config-so much so that I purchased a 'CZ Fly' trigger unit before even buying a gun. I have sat on the trigger but don't intend to use it now, since I have the 457 and am actually quite pleased with the trigger (I may get a 2 stage unit when they become available, but I like the 457 trigger as is for now). Where do I go to try to sell my CZ Fly trigger unit? With airguns, things were more straightforward as we can just list them on the airgun sites, and ship straight to buyers' homes (depending on the state laws). Do I need to send a trigger unit via FFL, or is that only parts that contain a receiver that needs to go to a FFL? Can I list the trigger on eBay, for example? Point is: I'm happy with my 457 and wouldn't consider going back to a 455 from here-only going with another 457 or an Anschutz (in the future), or perhaps a different custom build (Vudoo, etc).

So guys, I have a question (not sure if I should start a new thread or just ask it here-sorry if this is out of context for this thread): before getting my 457 MTR, I was planning on getting a 455 of some Varmint config-so much so that I purchased a 'CZ Fly' trigger unit before even buying a gun. I have sat on the trigger but don't intend to use it now, since I have the 457 and am actually quite pleased with the trigger (I may get a 2 stage unit when they become available, but I like the 457 trigger as is for now). Where do I go to try to sell my CZ Fly trigger unit? With airguns, things were more straightforward as we can just list them on the airgun sites, and ship straight to buyers' homes (depending on the state laws). Do I need to send a trigger unit via FFL, or is that only parts that contain a receiver that needs to go to a FFL? Can I list the trigger on eBay, for example? Point is: I'm happy with my 457 and wouldn't consider going back to a 455 from here-only going with another 457 or an Anschutz (in the future), or perhaps a different custom build (Vudoo, etc).
A trigger is not a firearm in any sense. Sell it and ship it anywhere you want. California is the only state that might just be retarded enough to have some law against it, probably based on triggers causing Cancer. In all seriousness, only serial numbered parts that constitute a firearm are subject to shipping restrictions for the most part.

I'd try selling it here in the classified section or over at the Rimfire Central classified section. There is a big CZ following over there.

Still haven’t heard from MPA on my scope mount. I will call them Monday and if they still say they don’t know going to ask for my money back.

Seems strange that CZ would go to the trouble of doing the pillar and use poly..... Unless it is good... Perhaps that is sufficient if we don't torque to (@*&# out of it?

They are poly with what looks to be aluminum particles in it, I just bedded mine and bedded right over the poly pillars, seems to be working just fine

Reactions: Merlin O
They are poly with what looks to be aluminum particles in it, I just bedded mine and bedded right over the poly pillars, seems to be working just fine
That just seems cheap. I mean wouldn’t a couple bucks extra for aluminum be worth it? Maybe it’s some super hard, non-shrinking space-aged polymer?

That just seems cheap. I mean wouldn’t a couple bucks extra for aluminum be worth it? Maybe it’s some super hard, non-shrinking space-aged polymer?

I understand what your saying, however, the poly wont change with temp changes and the compression strength lengthwise would have to be pretty high I would think.....just my thoughts., I could be wrong.

If it is compression and thermal expansion free , at least equal to or less than commonly used pillar material, I see no problem as it is just another way to do the same thing.

FWIW, unless accuracy us subpar I use 20 in/lb on all my rimfires. If subpar I experiment with the torque values. Currently my only exception is the B-14R which is set at 40 in/lb. I prefer standardization if at all possible.

With the stock resin pillars in the 457, I didn't see any difference in accuracy with different torque settings. If anything, I think bedding would help as there is some slop in the barrel action and would aid in exact placement when returning to the stock. Plus, that loose metal recoil lug has play also.

With the stock resin pillars in the 457, I didn't see any difference in accuracy with different torque settings. If anything, I think bedding would help as there is some slop in the barrel action and would aid in exact placement when returning to the stock. Plus, that loose metal recoil lug has play also.
This is why I start at 20 and 99% of the time leave it there. Again, I like standardization.

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I started shooting NRL22 a few months ago with my CZ455 American and enjoyed it enough that I upgraded to a 457 AT-ONE Varmint 16.5". I found it in the local classifieds for $550 and it hadn't been shot yet.

I was thinking about upgrading my 455 for a while, but it just didn't make sense with all of the money I was going to have to spend on a barrel, chassis, etc.

I added an Area 419 bolt knob, BSCAR 25 MOA extended rail, Vortex Pro Rings, and SWFA 12x42 Scope.

Adjusted the action screws to 25 in/lbs and the barrel screws to 35 in/lbs.

20200515_115738.jpg

I put a couple hundred rounds through the rifle last night. The trigger is so much better than the 455. I shot some groups at 75 yards and 100 yards because I had been competing with CCI standard velocity and I was curious how much of a difference some better ammo would make. The target below is 75 yards CCI standard on the left and SK Standard plus on the right. CCI looks like 1 flyer every group and none for SK.
20200514_212547.jpg

The target below is 100 yards. The CCI really opens up and SK standard plus is about an inch.
20200514_212631.jpg

Lots more testing to do, but I am happy through the first 200 rounds.

Hope to add a suppressor eventually.

I am trying to sell my 455 American. What's a fair price for one in good shape?

Reactions: ecm1997 and JKW70
I have had very good luck with SK pistol match special through my CZ. It has a little higher velocity and has been very consistent in my rifles. I have been shooting it and SK semi auto in my Vudoo as well. The semi auto gives me a little more velocity but the Pistol is a little more consistent.

I have had very good luck with SK pistol match special through my CZ. It has a little higher velocity and has been very consistent in my rifles. I have been shooting it and SK semi auto in my Vudoo as well. The semi auto gives me a little more velocity but the Pistol is a little more consistent.
I have been shooting SK Rifle Match with excellent results. CZ457, 16.5 barrel, ATOne stock. Less than a dime size at 50 yards

I just got my first CZ457 MTR. Lookig forward to taking it out this weekend. I have it set in an MDT ACC. do any of you all have a similar set up? My question is did you use the washers for the action screws and what torque setting did you use. TIA

Attachments

• 4E62D728-84A2-4D30-8525-2329EF2ABEF5.jpeg
    4E62D728-84A2-4D30-8525-2329EF2ABEF5.jpeg
    362.9 KB · Views: 282
Reactions: reubenski
Long time lurker, first time poster here. I started shooting NRL22 a few months ago with my CZ455 American and enjoyed it enough that I upgraded to a 457 AT-ONE Varmint 16.5". I found it in the local classifieds for $550 and it hadn't been shot yet.

I was thinking about upgrading my 455 for a while, but it just didn't make sense with all of the money I was going to have to spend on a barrel, chassis, etc.

I added an Area 419 bolt knob, BSCAR 25 MOA extended rail, Vortex Pro Rings, and SWFA 12x42 Scope.

Adjusted the action screws to 25 in/lbs and the barrel screws to 35 in/lbs.

View attachment 7327099

I put a couple hundred rounds through the rifle last night. The trigger is so much better than the 455. I shot some groups at 75 yards and 100 yards because I had been competing with CCI standard velocity and I was curious how much of a difference some better ammo would make. The target below is 75 yards CCI standard on the left and SK Standard plus on the right. CCI looks like 1 flyer every group and none for SK.
View attachment 7327100

The target below is 100 yards. The CCI really opens up and SK standard plus is about an inch.
View attachment 7327101

Lots more testing to do, but I am happy through the first 200 rounds.

Hope to add a suppressor eventually.

I am trying to sell my 455 American. What's a fair price for one in good shape?
Nice, I'm waiting for the same rifle but in 24" to get restocked.

HI All.

New at the forum although a long time lurker. I recently acquired a 457 American but this one is not in .22 LR, it's chambered in .22 magnum. Why you ask? Well ever since I was a kid I shot .22s but always wanted the .22 magnum. Already of retirement age I decided to do it and so here I am. I've known for a while that the .22 magnum is not nearly as accurate as the .22 LR. I decided to find out if this was true. It turns out that it is true but not always.

After all the stay at home thing I finally got to do some testing. Over 3 days/weeks I tested 12 types/brands of ammunition - over 250 rounds. Here's what I found out - but first, a couple of rifle pics:

i-6TdL9pc-XL.jpg

i-gcqL38B-XL.jpg

How does it shoot? The short answer is it doesn't like 40 grain pills but It really likes 30 grain ones, plus a pleasant surprise.

I never test a new firearm with five shot groups. I always shoot 10 rounds and if the ammo is grouping well I expand that to 15 rounds. That gives me a much higher statistically significant result than 5 shot groups.

Some will aggregate 5 shot groups. I don't agree with that either because aggregates do not take into account the different POIs of each 5 shot group. To each his/her own as the saying goes! If I hadn't shot 10-15 shot groups then some of the 40 grain loads would have looked pretty good, and that's the whole point.

The 40 Gr rounds all produced groups around 2 MOA The one below is representative of all tested. In 10-shot groups they all shot tight except for 2-4 fliers and those opened the groups considerably. Of the 40 Gr loads the tightest groups were shot with PSP (pointed soft point) rounds.

This is representative of the 40 Gr groups. Notice the 3 fliers in the ten shot group:
i-6b9WRv4-XL.jpg

Of the 30 Grain rounds two stood out. Those were the Hornady and CCI V-MAX and shot almost identical groups. That's not surprising since both use the same bullet and both companies are reputable. The images below are 5-shot groups for expediency here. Those were shot after shooting 15-shot groups with both loads. Those groups both right at 1 MOA. The 5-shot groups were both right at 1/2 MOA.

Hornady 5-shot group:
i-6cwhFbd-XL.png

And the CCI 30 GR V-MAX:
i-8hdw2wq-XL.jpg

The pleasant surprise was the 35 Grain CCI A22 PSP "Savage" round. On the ballistics app this is the most powerful round of all those tested. At 2100 FPS it has the same energy as a 9mm round at the muzzle and stays supersonic way past all the other rounds ~210 yards. The image below is of the 15-shot group which includes a called flier and still produced a 1 MOA group. There is no reason to believe that this round is not on par with the V-MAX rounds above and will produce 1/2 MOA 5-shot groups.

i-DVkRwqv-XL.jpg

Hope this was informative....

All The best!

JAS-SH

Last edited: