• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

I guess they figure their reputation is guarantee enough. They can't make them fast enough right now as it is. I've seen some comparisons that say the Tikka edges the CZ out slightly in accuracy but I'm sure you can find just as many videos saying the opposite. It's all about finding the right ammo. Sometimes it even comes down to finding the right lot number of a certain ammo. I know Tikka has been around for a while but they are new to the rimfire market as far as I know. Maybe they felt they needed the guarantee to help launch their product. I don't know how long CZ has been in the rimfire market. I first learned of them and bought my 452 about 14 years ago. It is the American model with the standard taper barrel. It shoots everything pretty well and certain ammo exceptionally. I can usually keep it under MOA at 100 and alot of times I can hit 1 MOA targets out at 200. Seems to really start opening up after 250. At 300 on a 10" plate, I usually hit about 80% with no real group, just random hits all over the plate.

I guess they figure their reputation is guarantee enough. They can't make them fast enough right now as it is. I've seen some comparisons that say the Tikka edges the CZ out slightly in accuracy but I'm sure you can find just as many videos saying the opposite. It's all about finding the right ammo. Sometimes it even comes down to finding the right lot number of a certain ammo. I know Tikka has been around for a while but they are new to the rimfire market as far as I know. Maybe they felt they needed the guarantee to help launch their product. I don't know how long CZ has been in the rimfire market. I first learned of them and bought my 452 about 14 years ago. It is the American model with the standard taper barrel. It shoots everything pretty well and certain ammo exceptionally. I can usually keep it under MOA at 100 and alot of times I can hit 1 MOA targets out at 200. Seems to really start opening up after 250. At 300 on a 10" plate, I usually hit about 80% with no real group, just random hits all over the plate.

Sounds like you got quite the shooter! The 452 line seems to be quite legendary for CZ. I agree with your sentiments, the proof is in the pudding with how many of these rifles they are moving. Aside from some hiccups with some of the early 457's their rimfire track record seems to be pretty flawless given the pricepoint. Tikka is new to the rimfire market, and I do think the guarantee makes some difference in sales, even if it's marginal. They have always guaranteed sub-moa on their center-fire rifles as well.

I own a T1X and am very happy with it, I could see myself buying a 457 at some point, it's just interesting to compare the two, but the more I read, the more it seems like you could flip a coin between the two when it comes to accuracy and action.

Reactions: BuckeyeSniper
Sounds like you got quite the shooter! The 452 line seems to be quite legendary for CZ. I agree with your sentiments, the proof is in the pudding with how many of these rifles they are moving. Aside from some hiccups with some of the early 457's their rimfire track record seems to be pretty flawless given the pricepoint. Tikka is new to the rimfire market, and I do think the guarantee makes some difference in sales, even if it's marginal. They have always guaranteed sub-moa on their center-fire rifles as well.

I own a T1X and am very happy with it, I could see myself buying a 457 at some point, it's just interesting to compare the two, but the more I read, the more it seems like you could flip a coin between the two when it comes to accuracy and action.
I think CZ may have stumbled a bit with the 455. I'm sure there are some good ones out there but I've always heard the 452 was a better rifle. Always hear good things about the 457. My cousin just bought a Tikka T1X and I am looking to get a 457 once I figure out which variation I want and what is available. I should get to compare them personally some day.

slickalaus12-
My 457 PV came with a 5 shot proof sheet shot at 50 meters that measured 12 mm. It also listed RWS as the ammo.
It’s not a guarantee but at least it is a functional test of the rifle’s capabilities and a starting point in term of finding the ammo it likes.
YMMV, happy shooting.

slickalaus12-
My 457 PV came with a 5 shot proof sheet shot at 50 meters that measured 12 mm. It also listed RWS as the ammo.
It’s not a guarantee but at least it is a functional test of the rifle’s capabilities and a starting point in term of finding the ammo it likes.
YMMV, happy shooting.

Yeah but that was shot in a giant vacuum tube filled with Argon and a mechanical trigger....

Yeah but that was shot in a giant vacuum tube filled with Argon and a mechanical trigger....
No, the rifle was shot by a person using a scope. The “proof”sheet shows the shooter’s personal number and also shows that the rifle was fired using a scope (remarks on the bottom of the page). Interesting to note that function tests are done on rifles that do not have sights. Could this explain some of the CZ barrel lottery people talk about?
5BEEF900-CB44-4AEA-BAE7-5678999F1BAB.jpeg

I wish it listed which RWS ammo to take more of the guesswork out of it.

Off to the range today to finish breaking in and the beginning of the side to side comparison with the Savage B22.

YMMV, happy shooting.

slickalaus12-
YMMV, happy shooting.
Whether the test target is meant to demonstrate accuracy is hotly debated on RFC. Most believe the test target is no indicator of a rifles accuracy potential and is only a function test. I’m in the other camp. I have a 452 with an 8mm dispersion test target that shoots great and others with not as good test targets that shoot well but not as good.
All I’ve seen shoot far better groups than is on their test targets. My least accurate CZ that had an awful test target routinely shoots 6x5 50 yard targets that average in the low 4’s.

Last edited:
Took the CZ 457 VP with Athlon Argos BTR Gen2 out to the range today.
Switchy winds from the 6-8 o clock position, 8-10 MPH.
These are some cherry picked groups, but not bad for breaking in.
The first group is zero at 50 yards, then the other 5 shot groups with some concerted effort. The 7 shot group on the right was at 100 yards. All with CCI standard velocity.
Also shot some Know Your Limits targets at 50 yards. Shot out to #7/8 without misses three times. Hit #8, 2 out of 3 times on the second shot.
This dog will hunt.
DD277C71-60D5-47B5-B00F-376F86AAD503.jpeg

YMMV, happy shooting.

My new Area 419 modded CZ 457 with a Athlon Midas Tac 5-25x56 scope. Looking to have stockdoc mod the comb on it before taking it out for some competition.

View attachment 7428990
That's a thing of beauty. I've thought of going that route. How much to you think you save by buying it set up versus buying the bare precision trainer and doing it up yourself? I ask because I like to tinker on stuff myself and I read somewhere the other day that a guy's stock pro varmint barrel shoots as good as his Bartlein so if I got lucky and got a good shooter, I'd save a lot by not buying the barrel.

Tough to say. I had enough projects on my bench so I just ordered this one. It seems like to tuned the trigger on it before they sent it out. I bought is for NRL22 unlimited class as you can't get a Vudoo V22 anywhere.

You probably would save a few bucks ordering the parts and putting it together yourself. My CZ 457 Pro Varmint just came in and I am picking it up today. That one will be for NRL22 stock class with a Diamondback Tac 4-16x44 to meet the $1050.00 requirement.

Tough to say. I had enough projects on my bench so I just ordered this one. It seems like to tuned the trigger on it before they sent it out. I bought is for NRL22 unlimited class as you can't get a Vudoo V22 anywhere.

You probably would save a few bucks ordering the parts and putting it together yourself. My CZ 457 Pro Varmint just came in and I am picking it up today. That one will be for NRL22 stock class with a Diamondback Tac 4-16x44 to meet the $1050.00 requirement.
I'm having a hard time choosing between the pro varmint and the precision trainer. Most matches around here aren't NRL22 sanctioned so the class is a mute point as of now. I assume you are having an adjustable comb added. Do you mind if I ask what that runs?

Fantastic set up, 10/10 on the cool factor.

How well does the spiral fluted barrel group?

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

I have not fired it yet. Probably wait until I get the stock modified, but who knows!

I'm having a hard time choosing between the pro varmint and the precision trainer. Most matches around here aren't NRL22 sanctioned so the class is a mute point as of now. I assume you are having an adjustable comb added. Do you mind if I ask what that runs?

Sent him a PM, waiting for him to reply with the details

No, the rifle was shot by a person using a scope. The “proof”sheet shows the shooter’s personal number and also shows that the rifle was fired using a scope (remarks on the bottom of the page). Interesting to note that function tests are done on rifles that do not have sights. Could this explain some of the CZ barrel lottery people talk about?
View attachment 7427341
I wish it listed which RWS ammo to take more of the guesswork out of it.

Off to the range today to finish breaking in and the beginning of the side to side comparison with the Savage B22.

YMMV, happy shooting.

Dear Sir,

I apologize--probably should have used the "sarcasm" emoji--I was just (trying) to be humorous...I also have some CZ's that shoot beyond their capability. For example, this little skinny barreled 452 (although it has been bedded and has an aftermarket trigger)...and that's with cheap ammo. Center X is even more amazing.

IMG_1725.jpgIMG_0981.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0980.jpg
    IMG_0980.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 149
Reactions: Mr. Wolf
Dear Sir,

I apologize--probably should have used the "sarcasm" emoji--I was just (trying) to be humorous...I also have some CZ's that shoot beyond their capability. For example, this little skinny barreled 452 (although it has been bedded and has an aftermarket trigger)...and that's with cheap ammo. Center X is even more amazing.

View attachment 7429041View attachment 7429042
Did you have that barrel cut down in length. Looks just like my 452 American except mine has the 20" barrel. I've not bedded mine but I did the Yodave trigger swap to the tune of 13 oz. It shoots very well.

Reactions: Appalachian
Dear Sir,

View attachment 7429041View attachment 7429042
Huskerhunter-
Sir, no offense taken and sorry if the response was brusque as I was packing up to get out to the range.
Thank you for the follow up and that is a nice set up you have there and great shooting with the Aguilla.

My 1st NRL22 match coming up this weekend, I'll provide a range report afterwards.

YMMV, happy shooting.

Reactions: Huskerhunter
Did you have that barrel cut down in length. Looks just like my 452 American except mine has the 20" barrel. I've not bedded mine but I did the Yodave trigger swap to the tune of 13 oz. It shoots very well.

Yes, trimmed to 16" by the previous owner. Timney trigger. All the work done by the previous owner. Bought it from a gent over on rimfirecentral. A real find! You always wonder when someone else has cut and threaded a barrel. In this case it was obviously well done. On another note, that group pictured was shot with the Sparrow can on.

Huskerhunter-
Sir, no offense taken and sorry if the response was brusque as I was packing up to get out to the range.
Thank you for the follow up and that is a nice set up you have there and great shooting with the Aguilla.

My 1st NRL22 match coming up this weekend, I'll provide a range report afterwards.

YMMV, happy shooting.

Good luck on the NRL match! I've been shooting ARA Rimfire Factory Class targets with the CZ452. It will consistently shoot 2000 + and occasionally even better (best has been 2325). It shoots almost as well as my 457 Varmint MTR.

Hi , newbie questions here
I have new 457 varmint , no mods . But i am seeing a lot of after market barrels to improve accuracy for bench-rest shooting and competition.
So i got few questions,
Would you add a muzzle break ? What benefits would it give you?
I read that the normal 457 Varmint doesnt come with match grade chamber (i don't know what that means ) so If you replace the barrel with an IBI, MPA or Bartlein Barrel, would it come with match grade chamber ? What is a match grade chamber?
Thanks in advance

Hi , newbie questions here
I have new 457 varmint , no mods . But i am seeing a lot of after market barrels to improve accuracy for bench-rest shooting and competition.
So i got few questions,
Would you add a muzzle break ? What benefits would it give you?
I read that the normal 457 Varmint doesnt come with match grade chamber (i don't know what that means ) so If you replace the barrel with an IBI, MPA or Bartlein Barrel, would it come with match grade chamber ? What is a match grade chamber?
Thanks in advance

My first question is, how good does it shoot now?

No on muzzle break. Thread if you're running a suppressor, but I don't think a "break/brake" will do much for a Varmint weight gun, but I'll defer to others with more experience.

Match Chambers are a rabbit hole...lots of info out there, generally, it means a chamber cut to tighter tolerances and in some cases optimized for a certain specific brand/type of ammo. Others may be able to speak to specifics of various manufacturers and their options. I have 455 I bought used, it has a Lilja 2 groove barrel and match chamber cut to the specs of DJ Dillion. Previous owner won some pretty high level NRL matches with it. It is indeed very accurate.

A lot of this comes down to your ambitions, type of competition, budget (rifle, optics, AMMO), skill level, willingness to tinker, etc....

Reactions: Taqwin
I found a strike eagle 5-25x56 at a good price. What throw lever are you using? Seems Vortex doesn't make one for this scope...at least that i could find.
Mine came with the throw lever- which was awesome. Also comes with a long sun shade. I’m assuming all of them come with the lever? Sorry I just saw this question- late response.

Quick range report for the CZ 457 Pro Varmint:
Zeroing in and breaking in the rifle at an indoor range today as the storms are hanging around the Gulf coast.
I had 1 hour to set up, shoot, clean up, and pack out, so these groups (5 shot groups, 30 groups, at 25 yards) were what I’d consider rapid fire. It was shot off a wobbly table with a wobbly homemade bean bag propped up vertically and no rear support. (I’m not going prone without a mat at an indoor range, I need all the brain cells I have.)

My observations:
1. Aguilla Rifle Match, CCI SV, and Fiocchi SV functioned 100%.
2. The CZ 457 cycled best when racked with a bit of authority. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being the slowest/most gentle, I found a balance of function and minimally disturbing the sights at 2.5.
3. Aguilla rifle match shot a bit higher than others with an average group size of .427” and a best group size of .209”. The 2 groups in the .6” range showed obvious high flyers. This ammo will be used for 10/22 plinking.
4. CCI SV shot the worst out of the 3 tested today. First 10 shots were strung laterally. Might be seasoning, but the Aguilla and Fiocchi didn’t need seasoning. Average group size of .522”with a best group of .306". This lot of CCI SV shoots well in my Savage B22, but so-so in the CZ.
5. Fiocchi SV shot very consistent groups and seemed to have the lowest dispersion from the best group .320” to the worst group .466” (flyer but decided to keep for consistency). Average group size was the best of the bunch at .391"
6. Phone camera based measuring apps are definitely useful, but it takes quite a bit of time to record the data. Calipers are much faster and easier.
7. A note of thanks to KissOfDeath on using paper plates and document hole protector stickers. 100 coated plates cost ˜$3 and the stickers $2 for 500 at Walmart.

I seem to be shooting the Fiocchi best and now have rudimentary data with it and I feel that the rifle and I are getting used to each other. Ran out of time so not worth wasting good ammo if I don’t have dope at a match. More to come after my first NRL22 outing on Sunday.

Shooting is fun, YMMV, happy shooting.
C277EBDA-1E85-4E94-8F3C-EE6889F42C6D.jpeg
B91F7BCB-8A72-4AF3-A461-9CEEC252F24E.jpeg
F538EF3B-8022-4BE0-B827-69EF48CDC95D.jpeg

Last edited:
Stockdoc? What is the cost of doing the comb modification?

Boyds has the Pro Varmint stock with the adjustable comb for 212.00 and in laminate for ~15.00 more. 227. for a Pepper black with the adjustable comb. For around 250.00 shipped you can get a range of colored laminates and have a nice stock.

Last edited:
Quick range report for the CZ 457 Pro Varmint:
Zeroing in and breaking in the rifle at an indoor range today as the storms are hanging around the Gulf coast.
I had 1 hour to set up, shoot, clean up, and pack out, so these groups (5 shot groups, 30 groups, at 25 yards) were what I’d consider rapid fire. It was shot off a wobbly table with a wobbly homemade bean bag propped up vertically and no rear support. (I’m not going prone without a mat at an indoor range, I need all the brain cells I have.)

My observations:
1. Aguilla Rifle Match, CCI SV, and Fiocchi SV functioned 100%.
2. The CZ 457 cycled best when racked with a bit of authority. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being the slowest/most gentle, I found a balance of function and minimally disturbing the sights at 2.5.
3. Aguilla rifle match shot a bit higher than others with an average group size of .427” and a best group size of .209”. The 2 groups in the .6” range showed obvious high flyers. This ammo will be used for 10/22 plinking.
4. CCI SV shot the worst out of the 3 tested today. First 10 shots were strung laterally. Might be seasoning, but the Aguilla and Fiocchi didn’t need seasoning. Average group size of .522”with a best group of .306". This lot of CCI SV shoots well in my Savage B22, but so-so in the CZ.
5. Fiocchi SV shot very consistent groups and seemed to have the lowest dispersion from the best group .320” to the worst group .466” (flyer but decided to keep for consistency). Average group size was the best of the bunch at .391"
6. Phone camera based measuring apps are definitely useful, but it takes quite a bit of time to record the data. Calipers are much faster and easier.
7. A note of thanks to KissOfDeath on using paper plates and document hole protector stickers. 100 coated plates cost ˜$3 and the stickers $2 for 500 at Walmart.

I seem to be shooting the Fiocchi best and now have rudimentary data with it and I feel that the rifle and I are getting used to each other. Ran out of time so not worth wasting good ammo if I don’t have dope at a match. More to come after my first NRL22 outing on Sunday.

Shooting is fun, YMMV, happy shooting.
View attachment 7431659View attachment 7431660View attachment 7431661

I find that target stickers don't give a very precise, repeatable spot to hold on. I use a target I made myself with a grid pattern with a darker center cross to line my crosshairs up on. Helps make sure you are holding on the same exact spot every time instead of eyeballing whether you are in the center of the circle. Even just drawing a cross with a sharpie works good. Try to get the lines level so you can level your scope when sighting in. Attached is the target I use. It has a 1/2" grid so you can tell how far off you are without going to the target to measure. The green is dark enough to see but light enough to show small bullet holes. These won't cost any more than your paper and ink. If your gun shoots as good as mine, you can shoot several groups at one grid without overlap by aiming at the corners and other intersections instead of just using the center.

Attachments

• 2 inch grid.pdf
    8.6 KB · Views: 208
Reactions: STex and Mr. Wolf
I find that target stickers don't give a very precise, repeatable spot to hold on. I use a target I made myself with a grid pattern with a darker center cross to line my crosshairs up on. Helps make sure you are holding on the same exact spot every time instead of eyeballing whether you are in the center of the circle. Even just drawing a cross with a sharpie works good. Try to get the lines level so you can level your scope when sighting in. Attached is the target I use. It has a 1/2" grid so you can tell how far off you are without going to the target to measure. The green is dark enough to see but light enough to show small bullet holes. These won't cost any more than your paper and ink. If your gun shoots as good as mine, you can shoot several groups at one grid without overlap by aiming at the corners and other intersections instead of just using the center.
Great target thanks for posting it

Very much appreciated, I'll have to print it out and test it next time at the range.
Today, I put another 100 rounds through it and got the dope with the Fiocchi SV 40 gr in order to have something to go off of at the NRL 22 shoot.
Appreciate all the shared knowledge and help.
Cheers and happy shooting.

$250 included the KMW Loggerhead kit and Atlas pic rail installed and shipping both ways.
And more importantly reassurance that it would be done right.

Do you have a link for him? Funny, I just bought the KMW Loggerhead and was going to have my local carpenter do the mods for me. I need someone to do the work for me-want to install the KMW, shorten the LOP to 13-13.25" and install an adjustable (vertically) butt pad on my CZ 527 Varmint MTR Stock (for my 6.5 Grendel). If it turns out good, I may do the same with my factory CZ 457 Varmint MTR stock too (in a Bravo chassis at the moment).

Interesting: I'm from WI also...

Sean

Last edited:
Stockdoc is @jducos

I looked back, $250 didn’t include the trip there. But if I remember right that was like $20
Thanks for the information. Can you post a photo of the rail, installed too? Also, are you using an Atlas Bipod? If so, what are you using to convert from the Anschutz rail to a Pic mount to mount the Atlas?

Do you find yourself using the lateral offset of the KMW at all, or just the vertical part of it? I like that the mechanism has the option for both to perfectly align your eye, as needed.

NRL 22 report:

I participated in my first rifle match at a local NRL 22. This writeup is not about how I performed at the match, rather it is about how the CZ 457 functioned during the event.
My CZ 457 is the Pro Varmint model with the following: Triggers by Scar 25 MOA rail, Yo Dave trigger kit, Harris bipod, Athlon Argos Gen 2 6-24x50, Amazon scope level, Weaver medium rings, Beartooth comb raising kit.

1. During pre-match practice at home, setting up the scope eye relief was challenging due to the magnification adjust ring binding on the rail when attempting to mount it on a set of low scope rings. Recommend using the medium rings and setting it up for a functional and comfortable eye relief.
2. The rifle was 100% during match conditions. No FTF, FTE, nothing at all related to the equipment. Zero confirmed at 50 yard, 5 shots into one ragged hole.
3. The trigger breaks cleanly at 1 lbs 3 oz. While it was very good for shooting groups, I may need to increase the pull weight for practical shooting.
4. The rifle is thick, short, and stout and balances nicely at the leading edge of the magazine well.
5. In my squad of 6, there were 4 CZ 457s. The match winner won with score around 850 using a base class CZ 457. He beat out RimX and a couple of Voodoos.

My take aways:
1. It's always best to improve the nut behind the trigger for best results.
2. Test the equipment and ammo thoroughly before competitions.
3. The rifle's accuracy, function, and handling is very competitive for NRL22 base class (and beyond).

YMMV, happy shooting.
CZ457PV2.jpg
CZ457PV1.jpeg

I agree, shooter is the most important part. The most accurate gun in the world is only as accurate as the person pulling the trigger. Just to note for anyone else who reads this, my 457 has never had a malfunction either.

BTW, did you cuss much when installing the Beartooth cheek riser?

I agree, shooter is the most important part. The most accurate gun in the world is only as accurate as the person pulling the trigger. Just to note for anyone else who reads this, my 457 has never had a malfunction either.

BTW, did you cuss much when installing the Beartooth cheek riser?
KOD,
Yes, much sweating and cursing when installing the Beartooth cheek riser.
My trick was to put on the sleeve without the foam insert, then peel the sleeve back inside out from the muzzle end, slip about 1" of the foam insert under the now doubled over sleeve, then un-invert the sleeve.

I now understand the term 5 lbs sausage in a 2 pound casing.
YMMA, happy shooting.

LMAO, I'm with ya, that's why I asked. The Beartooth works good and stays in place but what a PITA to get on. I can safely say that mine is a one and done deal for me.

LMAO, I'm with ya, that's why I asked. The Beartooth works good and stays in place but what a PITA to get on. I can safely say that mine is a one and done deal for me.

I had an ammo carrier on the buttstock of a 12 ga. slug gun that was similar to that beartooth cheek riser. I think they are definetely intended to be installed from the muzzle end before you mount a scope. That's the only thing that makes sense to me as hard as they are to install. Of course my gun already had a scope and was sighted in and I didn't want to remove it.

The problem really isn't getting the neoprene part on, it's getting the foam pad underneath afterwards. Probably sounds easy for someone who hasn't done it but people need to remember the foam pad has to be in the right place when inserted and the bottom of the neoprene part should align with the sling stud.

But you are right, installing over the trigger guard is the easiest way.

I had an ammo carrier on the buttstock of a 12 ga. slug gun that was similar to that beartooth cheek riser. I think they are definetely intended to be installed from the muzzle end before you mount a scope. That's the only thing that makes sense to me as hard as they are to install. Of course my gun already had a scope and was sighted in and I didn't want to remove it.
BuckeyeSniper-
Doh! (forehead slap) I should have thought of that!
With the low rings, the comb height was perfect but the eye box was not working. With the medium rings eye box was good but, I needed to raise the comb a bit.
Nevertheless, getting the sleeve over the Pro Varmint stock's raised comb and relatively wide paddle like dimentions had my cardio going.

Not certain about your shotgun, but for most bolt action guns, wouldn't it make sense to remove the action and trigger before installing?
Cheers, happy shooting.

BuckeyeSniper-
Doh! (forehead slap) I should have thought of that!
Nevertheless, getting the sleeve over the slightly raised comb and relatively wide paddle like dimentions of the Pro Varmint stock had my cardio going.

Not certain about your shotgun, but for most bolt action guns, wouldn't it make sense to remove the action and trigger before installing?
Cheers, happy shooting.

I'm sure it would help. Plus you wouldn't have to remove your scope. Cause you never know how much rise you need until your scope is mounted anyway. With my shotgun, I could have taken the buttstock off and made it a lot simpler. Of course, it didn't occur to me to do that until I sat back to admire my work after a lot of frustration and cursing.

I got a 457 AT-ONE 22LR a few weeks ago for a new match series starting at our local club (www.PrecisionRimfire.net) and really like the gun. It's my first CZ rifle. I tried it with several different types of match ammo, found that it had the potential to shoot well, and then pillar-and-glass bedded it. I then added a strip of rubber under a section of the otherwise free-floating barrel to dampen some of the barrel movement, and adjusted the position until it seemed optimal, like you would with a barrel tuner. Here are the results with Eley Match at 50 yards, Vortex Diamondback scope.

EleyMatch_9_22_2020_CZ - w_notes.jpg

I got a 457 AT-ONE 22LR a few weeks ago for a new match series starting at our local club (www.PrecisionRimfire.net) and really like the gun. It's my first CZ rifle. I tried it with several different types of match ammo, found that it had the potential to shoot well, and then pillar-and-glass bedded it. I then added a strip of rubber under a section of the otherwise free-floating barrel to dampen some of the barrel movement, and adjusted the position until it seemed optimal, like you would with a barrel tuner. Here are the results with Eley Match at 50 yards, Vortex Diamondback scope.

View attachment 7437196
Very nice shooting and amazing groups!

Your use of the rubber strips is new to me in barrel tuning, but it could be a good excuse to spend more time testing at the range.

How did the rifle shoot before the stock was glass and pillar bedded? Do you think the same tuning could be achieved with the rubber strip minus the bedding?

Thank you.

How did the rifle shoot before the stock was glass and pillar bedded? Do you think the same tuning could be achieved with the rubber strip minus the bedding?

Here is the rifle with Eley Match before bedding:
IMG_8884.JPG

After bedding, the horizontal grouping was about the same, but got more vertical stringing, so I really don't think I got much -- if any -- benefit from the bedding. Vertical stringing is typically caused by the bullets not being released at the peak (anti-node) during normal ballistic barrel whip, so any variation in velocity gets magnified by the time it reaches the target.

VerticalStringing.jpg

I'm not against an Ezell PDT or Harrell barrel tuner, but I wanted to do something less obvious to have the same effect on the physics of barrel vibration. Here's the simple solution that made such a consistency difference for me :)

RubberInstalled.jpg

Panther-
Thanks for answering my questions. I just might have to give it a go with the "rubber strip barrel tuning."
Also, it was the first I'd heard of the vertical stringing relationship velocity and anti-node. In my noobness, I always equated vertical stringing to breathing control, but I suppose there are other factors as you've pointed out.
Happy shooting.

Breathing control and vertical stringing go hand in hand, fundamentals still count. Panther has made very good use of barrel harmonics for his set up. Very nice groups. It is however a wood stock, a laminated stock, but still wood and is potentially susceptible to humidity and temp changes that may change the pressure exerted on the barrel at this point Due to wood warp. Hopefully those changes are small and he keeps notes for any changes.

This is not a new concept as ruger and magpul have pressure point areas built into their stock systems in the form of a barrel band and plastic insert respectively in this area of the barrel. You will have to experiment with your set up to see what performs best, a free floater, pressure band 1” out or pressure band further out in the stock. This is a very frustrating part of rimfire shooting as there are so many variables in play. Other materials used for pressure bands include cut up bicycle tires and inner tubes, aluminum tape strips, bedding material or I’ve even seen a large diameter machine screw used for a variable adjustment.