• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report Data generating programs

onesureshot

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2007
Utah
Big time newb questions here, so I apologize if they have been asked before. I tried a search and didn't find exact answers, so I figured a new post would be ok.

I am curious about the data generated by the different programs out there. Is it supposed to be dead on, or more of a "suggestion"?

I have never used one before, but gathered all the data and ran the numbers in JBM and came up with data for two different rifles. When I took them out to test it, the 200 yard data put me on target, but 300 to 500 I was off the steel. I ended up holding over / off using the mildots, then dialed on to the target. I made notes of the actual data and compared them to what JBM listed. They were all different, but some were higher and some were lower.

It reminded me of a prairie dog shooting trip I made to Wyoming a few years ago. A couple of the guys were crunching numbers and inputting data and all that, but were never right on the money. The rest of us just shot and held over.

Looking back I can't help but wonder, we they doing it wrong, or is the program generated data just to help get you close? I have always felt that nothing will replace actually putting bullets on target.

Does any of that make sense? I feel like I just rambled, time for more coffee.

Thanks for any and all input.

Re: Data generating programs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your seach fu is weak. See:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1467963#Post1467963
</div></div>

Oh my Search Fu is beyond weak, but I did see his post. In fact, I already tacked the same question to his post on another forum. I thought about doing that here too, but figured just asking the question in its own post might get the answers and not have me feeling like I hi-jacked a thread. I do need to go back and read everything in that post in detail, maybe I will find what I am looking for if I read it again.

Thanks for the feedback.

Try applied ballistics technology.No fees.Texas Intruments makes them for Brian Litz,a hide contributer.

Damn after going back and reading the other thread again, and your article, I feel like the kid with all the hockey equipment but no skates. Maybe the coffee is stronger this morning or maybe sleeping on it helped, but I feel like I actually took in the information this time.

Thanks again for your help.