• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

decent rangefinder for 600- 1k yards

gnappi

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2012
Do any of you have recommendations for a rangefinder that a casual user can get inexpensively?

Re: decent rangefinder for 600- 1k yards

Gnappi, mate whats 'inexpensive' in your budget?

Also, what kind of size / targets are you looking to range as this will have an enormous effect on how much $ you'll be looking to put down.

I have a Swarovski Laser Guide which is excellent for what I do, works consistantly out past 1000m with good weather.

Before that I had a Bushnell Elite 1500 with ARC and that was good however struggled past about 700 yards from memory on field targets.

I have been using a Zeiss Victory 8x26 T* PRF out to 1000 yards. Im impressed with this unit so far. You can find them for around 500-600 dollars.

Performance per dollar...it's pretty hard to beat the Bushnell Elite 1600.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 96C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Before that I had a Bushnell Elite 1500 with ARC and that was good however struggled past about 700 yards from memory on field targets.</div></div>
the new 1600 has a all new laser good out to 1800+.... its getting great reviews... u can get them under 500$

The Leica Rangemaster CRF 1600 is high quality, compact, and costs about $800. Excellent optics..very useful as a monocular. Also includes temp, pressure and angle to target. I find it to be very accurate. I have tested it to 1400 and have no complaints.

Bushnell 1600 binos / rangefinders are a pretty good deal. I think Jacob sells them at RO now. Might be worth considering.

I really like my leica rangemaster crf 1600. The angle to target feature is really nice to have.

the bushnells have it as well..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gamhuntr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really like my leica rangemaster crf 1600. The angle to target feature is really nice to have.</div></div>

My Busnell Scout 1000 has ranged target out to 1400 when I can hold it still and conditions are near perfect. Never been a problem ranging to 900 yards. My model I believe has been discontinued but the Elite models would work well for you.

For the money(450.00 delivered), I don't think you can beat the Bushnell 1600 Elite. Very happy with mine.

+1 for the money can't get better. Very happy here with the Elite 1600.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeremiahjs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been using a Zeiss Victory 8x26 T* PRF out to 1000 yards. Im impressed with this unit so far. You can find them for around 500-600 dollars. </div></div>

Same here - love mine. I have used it to range out to 1450 yds although normally it works reliably out to 1250 or so.

i have the swarovski and its great.

that being said a buddy i shoot with has a bushnell he paid a few hundred for. we checked in meters from 50 meters to 1100 meters. and every 50 meters in between. I couldnt believe it, but his range finder would hit the distance accurately. this was a side by side comparison with my 999 dollar swarovski.

I bought a Bushnell Elite 1600ARC on Ebay for $350 and so far I really like it, I'm ranging trees to 7-800, hillsides to 1000+ and reflective targets to 1600+. The glass is clear, not the quality of Leica of course but it's pretty good. The holdovers are pretty close to what my app shows but I haven't really stretched it out yet to see just how close it really is.

2012-01-22_17-34-30_945.jpg

I really think that Bushnell did well on their rangefinders. I purchased a Bushnell 750 back in 03 while I wad still in. Carried it through Afghanistan and am still using it today. I'm really wanting to upgrade to the 1600. I've had my 750 out to 1400 yards on a reflective target before. It's getting old now and I can get around 800 pretty consistent now. I'd recommend them for sure!

I bought the Bushnell 1500 Elite w/ARC 2 years ago. I loved it for the first year. It ranged great, accurate and dependable. After one year of use it became very finicky...always wanted a new battery, wouldn't range targets that it had worked fine before on and kept getting worse.

It's max range now is 200 yards off of a VERY reflective object. After talking to the company, I was told that the laser part just wears out over time. 1 year????

They gave me 2 options: 40% off of full retail from the factory price ($842.95 for the 1600) or
send it in and see if they could repair it.

I just got the estimate back and for $402 I can have it back and a guarantee for another year.

Bushnell won't be seeing any more of my money. Not with all of the great optics companies out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought the Bushnell 1500 Elite w/ARC 2 years ago. I loved it for the first year. It ranged great, accurate and dependable. After one year of use it became very finicky...always wanted a new battery, wouldn't range targets that it had worked fine before on and kept getting worse.

It's max range now is 200 yards off of a VERY reflective object. After talking to the company, I was told that the laser part just wears out over time. 1 year????

They gave me 2 options: 40% off of full retail from the factory price ($842.95 for the 1600) or
send it in and see if they could repair it.

I just got the estimate back and for $402 I can have it back and a guarantee for another year.

Bushnell won't be seeing any more of my money. Not with all of the great optics companies out there.</div></div>

thats not it.. i had a older 1500 model that did the EXACT same thing... and went tits up.. the laser is misaligned.. they claimed it was from me dropping it.. the most it ever dropped was 3ft to my padded case or maybe 2ft out of my car door...

it crapped out at 180y and even that sucked...

I've got a bushnell arc 1000 that does just fine out to 1150 or so. Up to 1000 yards I think it's one of the best values for the money.....just go to optics planet.com and look for one. Also, you can select and change the round you are shooting and it will automatically calculate some of your true distance basd on the mangle of the shot if there is any.

Spend the rest of your cash on ammo for practice.

Nikon makes 2 models that go to 1k and beyond, ones 350, the other's 400. I have the $400 one and love it. Doesn't have crap that I don't use, but has features that do come in handy from time to time. Will range off anything you look at, regardless of reflective or not (up to it's max range, obviously)

Sure would like to see a review of this one.
Vortex
I'm obviously in the market for one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.Draig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Leica Rangemaster CRF 1600 is high quality, compact, and costs about $800. Excellent optics..very useful as a monocular. Also includes temp, pressure and angle to target. I find it to be very accurate. I have tested it to 1400 and have no complaints.</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeremiahjs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been using a Zeiss Victory 8x26 T* PRF out to 1000 yards. Im impressed with this unit so far. You can find them for around 500-600 dollars. </div></div>

I have one of these rangefinders and it has worked quite well for me. If not for having just picked up a Vectronix PLRF 15 for a good price I would still be using it instead of it sitting in the safe.

I'm using a Remington 900. It's listed to go to 900yds on reflective targets and I think 4 or 500 on non-reflective. I've ranged 953 on a metal building so far. It's decent for the cost as I think it was $200 or so, but I don't remember really. Since I use it as dual purpose target/hunting it works out pretty well. It's definately an upgrade from the Bushnell 400yd that I had, as it would only do 200yds on nonreflective!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoof</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought the Bushnell 1500 Elite w/ARC 2 years ago. I loved it for the first year. It ranged great, accurate and dependable. After one year of use it became very finicky...always wanted a new battery, wouldn't range targets that it had worked fine before on and kept getting worse.</div></div>

I have the same problems out of my Leupold RXB-IV LRF binoculars, but they are going back to Leupold under warranty. Everybody says Leupold has great customer service.

All the ones mentioned above should work for him out to 1,000. Leice 1200, Elite 1600, Swaro, etc.

The LCD screen on my ARC 1500 seemed to have <span style="font-weight: bold">melted, faded and dropped out!</span>

It has patches of the display missing and shaded where they used to be bright and very clear. I never dropped it, perhaps the circutry crapped out or the heat got to it at some point?

That's what originally led me to Swarovski, up until then the ARC was excellent for most practical field distance shooting.

I use the Swarovski Laser Guide, which works excellent, but the aperture is a bit large.

Ive been toying with my Zeiss PRF all this week and Im really liking it. The max ive hit so far is 900Y and some change on a car. Excellent glass, and it ranges pretty quick and accurate.