• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Dedicated Technologies WSSM AR15 uppers?

LAKsupply

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2009
Wyo
Anybody have any experience with Dtech? I'm considering one of their uppers in a 7mm WSSM wildcat. It appears to come very close to fitting my hunting/LR weapon in a fairly lightweight package... 22" fluted upper is 5.8lb, and I think with some more fluting could be lightened up to 5.5lb or so. Enough poop to drop big game and shoot 800 yards is attractive, but I don't know anything about Dtech. Anybody have any input?

Re: Dedicated Technologies WSSM AR15 uppers?

D-tech builds GOOD stuff. Had 243 wssm that was a yote killin mo chine. Only reason I don't still have it is, it's a little pricey for shooting a lot of hogs.

Dtech(Mike)is an incredibly knowledgable guy. I have had him build 2 ar's. First was a 24" 243WSSM(most accurate rifle I have had) and lately a 22".20 tactical(.20/.223). Both are fluted. I like the 22" as 24 just doesn't add enough speed increase to matter and those -2 inches plus fluting makes a bull barrel much more pleasant. I have been to his shop twice up in Minnesota and have always been very impressed by his innovation and understanding of the ar15. I would like to have him build an ar10 barrel and more ar15's in the future. I have dealt with other builders out there and would recommend him and Noveske for my top choices.

contact cbass_16, he has one.

Excellent! I was kind of leaning towards the 7mm in a 22" fluted barrel... thought that was the best compromise between midweight/good BC bullets and velocity. Should I be looking at the 300 WSSM as well? All the FB I've received from anybody who's dealt with Dtec is great... If I can actually get ahold of the guy I'll be placing an order.

7mm or 300? Need some help on that one as I think I'll be limited by seating depth and can't really see the benefit of the 300 if I can't use the heavier bullets effectively. Since it's a wildcat and I can't find data I would like some input to help out in that area. Any thoughts?

Scarlett- How long did it take to get an upper built?

Savage- is cbass selling one or are you recommending I speak with him as a reference?

Such as...? I've had some inconsistent rifle brass, but nothing that can't be taken out when sizing. Can you be more specific?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WSSM brass sucks!!!!

Incredibly inconsistent.I'll never own a WSSM again.

Steve

</div></div>

About 10 out of 50 wouldn't fit in the shell holder,rims were uneven and thicker on one side.I even ordered another shell holder and borrowed a friends too.Brass weight was all over the place,10 grains difference between the lightest to heaviest.Neck thickness off by .002 on average from the thinnest to thickest side and .002 thicker towards the bottom of the neck.flash holes not centered.I could literally roll them on a flat surface and see them wobble.This was for at least 2 different lots of brass maybe 3.Other than that they were fine,Doh
wink.gif

Steve

If I were in your situation I would probably like the 7mm, however my first pick was a 6.5wssm that mike showed me. I never reloaded so I don't have experience with brass inconsistencies. My first upper didn't take long to get, but that was back when he was relatively unknown and demand wasn't so high. My last upper in .20 tactical took about a year, but it could have been much sooner as I was changing my mind and sending parts back and forth, then I had him wait cuz I was going on vacation and just picked it up direct. I wouldn't expect quick turnaround, he is a one man operation and really good at what he specializes in. Someday, hopefully soon I will post a pic of my newest Dtech build once I finish camo/painting it.

The brass really is the worst I've ever messed with.

I'm loading really light loads (243 WSSM, 87 gr A-max @ 3050 fps, about 44,000 psi) and I still get split necks on about 10% of my brass after each loading. But my gun will still shoot in the .4's and .5's, even with the poor brass.

You will also have to fix the mags if you are using it for a tactical or match rifle, they are fine for hunting as is. Look at some of my old posts for the fix.

But all said and done, it is still my favorite long range tactical rifle, and I have semi's and bolts from .22's to 300 mags. Very accurate and extremely low recoil, it is a laser to 400 yards, and can win matches to 850 yards.

Ok... so I put a 7mm WSSM upper on order with Dtec. Now I need to find a load... it appears I can use the 140gr VLD in that setup and not give up any capacity. I would love the 168gr, but with the length of a high BC bullet I think I'm pooched on the heavier weights.