• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Desert Tech TRASOL Official Thread

1. Read the work by Gus and Jim the linear solutions are incorrect by default

2. Using the Kestrel clean is not right especially when traveling, I routinely do this and it always has to be tweaked on location. If this was not the case they would not rent Raton prior to the King of 2Mile in order to test and validate.

I am at 5000ft above sea level and always travel to locations

3. The struggles individuals have are real in lining up the data. TRASOL does a much better job out of the box. Very little tweaking required.

4. The Truing is clumsy and flawed on numerous levels. We do it differently and it not only works better it carries over more accurately. If you are changing true data like MV how are you clean ?

5. They stood up in front of a crowd and said it was wrong and suggestioned corrections

5. CWAJ happens at the muzzle we Zero it out. The downrange effect requires a lot more wind to become noticeable and I promise I Shoot in more wind than most. Again read Jim and Gus.

6. Truing the BC for your system is a better way, and the majority turn the wind off as practical application across a wide range of shooters has demonstrated the merit. You can argue success vs the blind faith on thing that are barely noticeable.

It’s 3DOF so explain your proactive approach vs CB or 4DOF? Faking it is not proactive hence the fact we find it to work as advertised with these features off.

3DOF has not idea what happened the instant before or after, there is no bullet, just a point in space. On the other hand CB and TRASOL know where the Bulliet was and where it is going hence the massive amount of code required.

7. I religiously run both a kestrel and CB/TRASOL solutions, I travel, compete, and see hundreds of students a year who obsess over this, I have a pretty good idea of what works why and how. I even upgraded my range to horizontal bar targets specifically for software.
View attachment 6936911

Buzzwords and marketing aside, I promise when the winds are high enough both planes suffer and the shooter has to adapt because they are never straight and square, read: linear as this is the only way it can try to solve.
1. Read the work by Gus and Jim the linear solutions are incorrect by default

2. Using the Kestrel clean is not right especially when traveling, I routinely do this and it always has to be tweaked on location. If this was not the case they would not rent Raton prior to the King of 2Mile in order to test and validate.

I am at 5000ft above sea level and always travel to locations

3. The struggles individuals have are real in lining up the data. TRASOL does a much better job out of the box. Very little tweaking required.

4. The Truing is clumsy and flawed on numerous levels. We do it differently and it not only works better it carries over more accurately. If you are changing true data like MV how are you clean ?

5. They stood up in front of a crowd and said it was wrong and suggestioned corrections

5. CWAJ happens at the muzzle we Zero it out. The downrange effect requires a lot more wind to become noticeable and I promise I Shoot in more wind than most. Again read Jim and Gus.

6. Truing the BC for your system is a better way, and the majority turn the wind off as practical application across a wide range of shooters has demonstrated the merit. You can argue success vs the blind faith on thing that are barely noticeable.

It’s 3DOF so explain your proactive approach vs CB or 4DOF? Faking it is not proactive hence the fact we find it to work as advertised with these features off.

3DOF has not idea what happened the instant before or after, there is no bullet, just a point in space. On the other hand CB and TRASOL know where the Bulliet was and where it is going hence the massive amount of code required.

7. I religiously run both a kestrel and CB/TRASOL solutions, I travel, compete, and see hundreds of students a year who obsess over this, I have a pretty good idea of what works why and how. I even upgraded my range to horizontal bar targets specifically for software.
View attachment 6936911

Buzzwords and marketing aside, I promise when the winds are high enough both planes suffer and the shooter has to adapt because they are never straight and square, read: linear as this is the only way it can try to solve.

The H.U.D in Trasol would be an example of a “Feature”. The “Easy” mode in the Kestrel would be an example of a “Feature”.

Coriolis/SD/CWAJ/wind-deflection are secondary effects. Gravity being the primary. Gravity is the solvers' "baseline zero reference"

If your solver of choice supports it and it exists in your recorded numbers. The solver needs to account for it when "Lining Up" the trajectory BEFORE making adjustments to MV or BC

By turning off settings you’re putting “Effect” before “Cause”

The “Cause” has to be enabled in software for the “Effect” to be present in your recorded results.

When you turn off “Coriolis” settings in most apps (Which groups Latitude and Azimuth together.) The solver is going to give you an equivalent solution based on the “physics” of a North Azimuth in Ecuador. (AZ:0/LAT:0) Which is NOT the REALITY of the output recorded on location. (Unless you actually are shooting on a north azimuth in Ecuador)

(example) “recorded” impact @1225 yards was 10.5 mils facing 270 W

(going counter-clockwise) This is what was shot in reality
@1225 yards 10.5 mils on AZ:270 W (the real-world location:right output)
@1225 yards 10.4 mils on AZ:180 S
@1225 yards 10.3 mils on AZ:90 E
@1225 yards 10.4 mils on AZ:0 N
(This is what the MV/BC should be “lined up” back to: 10.4 @ AZ:0 N)

(going clockwise)
This is what “Lining up" the solver by “turning it off” does.
@1225 yards 10.5 mils on AZ:0 N (“Lining Up” from here gives you MV/BC for 10.6@270 W)
@1225 yards 10.4 mils on AZ:90 E
@1225 yards 10.5 mils on AZ:180 S
@1225 yards 10.6 mils on AZ:270 W
(the real-world location:wrong output from “recorded”)

Even if you only recorded data to 600 yards. (where Coriolis “doesn’t matter”) If the target faces 270 W the solver needs to know to account for it.

In the context of "Lining Up" (Backward-Extrapolating) “Your System” The Azimuth-of-fire and latitude is what aligns the solvers’ “zero” and the shooters’ “zero” (mechanical zero) so the “physics” are starting from the same “Baseline zero reference”

This way when you travel and update your (azimuth/lat) for the new location/target the solver is applying the correct “physics” going forward. (Instead of having to keep adjusting the MV/BC to compensate for the wrong azimuth/lat) You update the “Coriolis” setting just like you update the environmental info)

If you have any bias that wasn’t accounted for in the software prior to “Lining Up” (Backward-Extrapolating) you will be extrapolating back to where the solver "thinks" zero is. Which may or may not be where “mechanical zero” is.

Entering your Azimuth-of-Fire/Latitude should increase the baseline accuracy for “any” system (regardless of whether it’s AB, CB, TRASOL, PM, MPM , 4DOF etc...)

@LastShot300 I’ll do some comparisons with CB too. Maybe we can apply some smoothing for TRASOL.
I just tried to run some simulations for another member having trouble, and realized that TRASOL doesn't allow an inHG of less than 25 inHG. So it basically is unusable above 5,000 ft. There are plenty of guys hunting and living above that altitude.

I just tried to run some simulations for another member having trouble, and realized that TRASOL doesn't allow an inHG of less than 25 inHG. So it basically is unusable above 5,000 ft. There are plenty of guys hunting and living above that altitude.

You must mean manually entering the info. I live above 7000’ but I always just use the DA feature.

You must mean manually entering the info. I live above 7000’ but I always just use the DA feature.
Isn’t manually how most people enter their data?

I think @Skookum does like what I thought must if us do. We look at our Station Pressure, temp maybe even guess the humidity and enter that into our solvers. This info may come from a watch or even a wheather meter.

You can do that nicely on TRASOL, but the little selector wheel stops dead at 25inHg. That gets you to the high desert in Colorado or Nevada where I shoot and some foothills. But as he pointed out, not in the Mountains, not in the Northern Plains like Laramie Whyoming or even Lake Tahoe basin.

In all honesty, 1,000 feet between the basin of Tahoe and 25 absolute is not a deal braker, but for some sites it sure is.

@aron no ETA on Android right now.

photo_1536429888241.png

Reactions: 702lineman
I'm an android fanboy. This is what I did.

Went to all my apps, see pic 1

Then I press on the app, with my finger, long enough for this to pop up, see pic 2

I then selected "permission" see pic 3

I then made sure all of them were turned on. I'm good as new now
That worked for me on my new Samsung S9+ ... thank you sir.

Reactions: waveslayer
Im in west desert of Utah and TRASOL is again effing up and wasting lots of time and ammo for me

The BP is 25.75 in Hg the temp is 78 degrees and TRASOL says the DA is 11,000 feet. Thats almost double the true DA. Doesnt matyer if i capture the weather data or enter my own it gives that reault

AB gives the true value.

If this product doesnt get the support it needs and become a consistent reliable App, Im going back to AB mobile.

This is frankly BS

Im in west desert of Utah and TRASOL is again effing up and wasting lots of time and ammo for me

The BP is 25.75 in Hg the temp is 78 degrees and TRASOL says the DA is 11,000 feet. Thats almost double the true DA. Doesnt matyer if i capture the weather data or enter my own it gives that reault

AB gives the true value.

If this product doesnt get the support it needs and become a consistent reliable App, Im going back to AB mobile.

This is frankly BS

Here's what I got from TRASOL and AB kestrel.
TRASOL is running on an iPhone 6S+ version 11.3.1 (15E302)

41D23B27-759A-499F-A976-EF7B6DD5D79D.png

C21EE487-A2DE-4A14-B58C-DE766BA79F57.jpeg

Last edited:
Currently I have temp 63.7 F, Baro 30.03 HG, rel humidity 57.3%, elevation 657:

AP DA 1181
Trasol DA 1083
Auto Dens DA 1142

All 3 seem pretty close to me............. No idea why your's is so off.

AB gives the true value.

This is frankly BS
Perhaps you are using the "BP" tab rather than the "SP" tab? "SP" is for entering station pressure (absolute pressure). The "BP" function is for inputting barometric pressure which has ALREADY been adjusted for altitude.

Reactions: jafo96
@Skookum you're right, the pressure should be able to go below 25. This will be fixed in the next update.
This is probably ridiculously hard, but if given my wish, I would do away with the "spinning wheel" adjustments and just go to direct input.

I've been using this new app for several weeks now, and the constant "fat finger" effect is incredibly annoying.

This is probably ridiculously hard, but if given my wish, I would do away with the "spinning wheel" adjustments and just go to direct input.

I've been using this new app for several weeks now, and the constant "fat finger" effect is incredibly annoying.

I’d like to second that request (include a way to let the user type direct input)

I've been using TRASOL for a while now and it works great, but there's two things that bug the heck out of me. Whenever I open up the app, my slope is always at 90 degrees and the moving target is always 85.3 mph. Is there anyway to fix this, so they are both 0 when the app is opened? Thanks! (I'm using the Android version)

I don't know if Android has app settings that automatically populate it
You could try tapping on "slope" and select "delete" in the upper left corner of the page. Repeat with "Moving Target"

I don't know if Android has app settings that automatically populate it
You could try tapping on "slope" and select "delete" in the upper left corner of the page. Repeat with "Moving Target"

On my phone, I can click on this computer chip looking icon and it will update the Slope with the angle that my phone is at. I can also tap in the value field and reset the values to what I want, but upon closing the app and reopening, the 90 degrees and 85.3 mph always come back. It's more irritating than anything. Once I have the app open and use it during the day, it stay at the values I enter. And, yes, I've tried opening the app with the phone flat to see if the slope would be 0, but it always opens to 90.

@waveslayer posted on page 4 post #193 how to set the app permissions on Android. you could try disabling location. (or reinstall the app) The "computer chip" is on the old version 1 of TRASOL

I had assumed you were using the newer 2.0 version

Reactions: waveslayer
Thanks, I looked and all of my permissions are set to on. I disabled the location and it still opens with 90 degrees and 85.3 mph. I then uninstalled and re-installed and still the same thing. Maybe a bug in the Android version?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Thanks, I looked and all of my permissions are set to on. I disabled the location and it still opens with 90 degrees and 85.3 mph. I then uninstalled and re-installed and still the same thing. Maybe a bug in the Android version?

Thanks for the help!
It’s currently for iPhone? They haven’t released an updated Android version yet.

Perhaps you are using the "BP" tab rather than the "SP" tab? "SP" is for entering station pressure (absolute pressure). The "BP" function is for inputting barometric pressure which has ALREADY been adjusted for altitude.

No, because if that were the case, the DA would be too low not too high. I don't know what it was doing, but it was f%^&ing up, and I have lost confidence in the App because it has been treated like a stepchild for far too long. And I will wager that the newest guy trying to fix it won't last a year working there, for the well known reasons nobody can work for more than a year there. :)

No, because if that were the case, the DA would be too low not too high. I don't know what it was doing, but it was f%^&ing up, and I have lost confidence in the App because it has been treated like a stepchild for far too long. And I will wager that the newest guy trying to fix it won't last a year working there, for the well known reasons nobody can work for more than a year there. :)
You have that exactly backwards, if you are using the BP button and inputting station pressure, it will read a higher DA than actual. Unless of course, you are at sea level where BP and SP are the same thing.

When I put in all your numbers and use the SP button, I get 6446 ft. DA. When I leave everything identical and toggle over to the BP button, I get 10,956 ft. DA.

Reactions: jafo96
I don't recall exactly what happened as it was almost 2 weeks ago, but the only reason I ever got out my Kestrel which I rarely do was because it was giving screwy output from the import DA button on the ballistics screen. In any case, I have long said this App needs to be idiot proof, and when they insist on including useless functions like Cant (which used to not be able to be disabled) all they do is make the App worse by increasing user error rates.

Many of us have been very patient with DT - with warranty repairs, broken MDR promises, TRASOL nonsense (I was an early adopter and paid $40!), parts not in stock, can't pick up local without a run-around, etc, and personally my patience is running out.

@Hundley I noticed that I get a NaN (Not a Number) error when both cant angle and zero setting have a value entered

31AA0E94-D09C-4B6B-9CDE-EBCE257B383F.jpeg

Just got a new Samsung S9 and downloaded the app after using it on my galaxy S7, and now, it won't open. The start up screen is displayed and it just stays there. I tried deleting it and reinstalling it, to no avail

You have that exactly backwards, if you are using the BP button and inputting station pressure, it will read a higher DA than actual. Unless of course, you are at sea level where BP and SP are the same thing.

When I put in all your numbers and use the SP button, I get 6446 ft. DA. When I leave everything identical and toggle over to the BP button, I get 10,956 ft. DA.

I have not been following did they get the Station Pressure input fixed yet?

@Kobyashi72 @rover308 you're right - it looks like this happens when a provide a positive value for Zero Setting, and a nonzero cant. We'll have to take a look and see what's going on. Thanks for pointing it out!
Just want to say again, thank you for being so responsive. We are fortunate to have such direct and immediate contact with the developers of the ballistic apps we all use everyday.

@Kobyashi72 @rover308 you're right - it looks like this happens when a provide a positive value for Zero Setting, and a nonzero cant. We'll have to take a look and see what's going on. Thanks for pointing it out!
Any chance we can get more choices for Absolute? Stopping at 25inHg, seems weird.

We have a lot of shooters even in the "plains" needing 23 inches, Hell Frank will need 24.5 ish in the flat lands -- much less anyone hunting or living in the Mountains.

Any chance we can get more choices for Absolute? Stopping at 25inHg, seems weird.

We have a lot of shooters even in the "plains" needing 23 inches, Hell Frank will need 24.5 ish in the flat lands -- much less anyone hunting or living in the Mountains.
He answered me back on this a bit ago, and said it would be in the update. Though I don't remember if he gave a date or what it would be adjusted to.

Just got a new Samsung S9 and downloaded the app after using it on my galaxy S7, and now, it won't open. The start up screen is displayed and it just stays there. I tried deleting it and reinstalling it, to no avail
I was getting that and saw a post about enabling access permissions to the camera and whatever else. I did that and it worked for me.

I bought Trasol and input my data. As shown in the accompanying photos, my Zero Range is 100 yards, but the ballistics chart shows a 1.34 mil come-up at 100. I'm thinking it should show "0". Any ideas what the problem is?

Thanks.IMG_7386.PNG IMG_7385.PNG

Is your sight height actually almost 3 inches, and is your DA actually -798 ft?

Yes on the sight height. As for the Density Altitude, I'm not sure. I used the "capture" button next to the Density Altitude text in the app, and that's what it gave me.
Your zero range is certainly at 100 yards. It might be s glitch. Go to your altitude menu and input your station pressure manually using the "SP" button and see what it tells you.

In other words make sure your zero altitude and your firing solution altitude are the same.