• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Dillon 600 swagger issues

problemchild

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2009
Man I really hate this swager. Here are some the problems I am having. I am starting to wonder if they are all like this.

Non-concentric swag (if crimp is off-centered the swager swages the easy side and leaves the sharp crimped edge remaining)

Cannot get enough adjustment before the brass hits the plate on the way down. Small amount of crimp isnt enough to seat primers.

Different amount of swag on all brass even same headstamp.

Completely different swag on same headstamp but different year (ex: LC-10 LC-09)

Called the big D and they have no clue, maybe send in the swager for a look/repair.

Re: Dillon 600 swagger issues

Either you got a unit that is machined a little off or the set up is off.

Different years of the same brass can have different web thicknesses, there can be variations in a run also. The Dillon adjusts deswage on web thickness. Some cases can have burr that may or may not flatten down when the case is put on the pin.

Also check the silver block in the base that the case hits. If the block is set wrong the primer pocket isn't centered around the deswage ram.

The last thing to look at is how deep you are running the ram.
Some of what you describe soumds like you are not removing the crimp all the way. Make sure the handle is hanging off of the bench. The handle runs to about a thirty degree down angle and cams over the punch a little.

When they say "sort the cases by headstamp", they really mean it. That means by date too.

I've had this problem too but only when I ignore the "sort rule.

As said earlier, there can also be a burr on the inside of the flash hole that can cause issues. If you take a 7/32" drill bit chucked in a tap handle you can "deburr" the flash hole prior to swaging.

it might take a while but I have mine set to a spot where I can do all my brass and not change it around, it too a little to find the right setting but once its there you dont have to touch it.

Never had a issue with mine - eats everything. Sorted, your kidding. No offense intended, but sounds like operator error. There's nothing complicated about the Dillon. What specific brands of brass are you having issues with? Loosen everything up, with a piece of brass fully swagged, then tighten the set screws with the brass in place. Don't let things bind, the punch will find its own center in the primer pocket - let it - it needs some wiggle room. Don't hold the brass. Follow what was said about the flash on the inside of the flash hole (inside the case). Remove it. If not you are forcing that flashing into the flash hole as you swage it - not good for accuracy. It also, as stated this flashing will cause issues with having the case completely set into the tool. Sinclair has tools to remove the flash.

I had 1 that acted like yours does. Traded it off.

Now I just touch them with the deburring tool and move on down the line.