• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Disappointed in Forster CO-AX paint job. *Update 11/2

Tengo1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Just picked up a brand new one from Scheels. For a $365 press, this thing has the worst paint job of any press I’ve ever seen. Including the cheapest Lee presses.

And before the whole “it doesn’t effect function” crowd. I get it. But for a top tier press their paint department sucks. Or the shipping and handling team who seems to throw them around sucks.

v3gshrD.jpg

dFQagVi.jpg

6Dtc1tu.jpg

ZkJCyW3.jpg

4k9vPwn.jpg

faa9II0.jpg

0Ek8TcG.jpg

aI1hw0v.jpg

Krylon. Just kidding. Call Forster because that is terrible.

i've seen some poor quality paint on expensive wilton vises if it makes you feel better.
not sure if its the paint technology for cast iron, or the general malaise of late-stage capitalism

Poor paint, poor packaging, and poor shipping and Handling................

I just think their QD has gone to shit. I noticed another thing. Where the bottom of the press (the part that holds the bullet). Look how the right side where it attaches to the arm is ground at an angle. Should be straight just like the left side. And like my 30 year old Bonanza is for comparison.

ylCAsub.jpg

ONjv6YQ.jpg

Scheels will supply a return shipping label to exchange the damaged press. Just an FYI. You can always upgrade to a zero press, 🤣

That is the worst paint job I’ve seen on a Co-Ax. I would be disappointed with Forester too.

Reactions: DubfromGA
I'd send that back man. If it were one or two little places...let it be... but that angled grinding and the paint being beat to hell + not being good to begin with is too much. Send it back, especially if you have a functional press to use in the meantime

Reactions: sinister
So Scheels can't help you because they don't have any in stock so contacting Forester is your best option. That press has had some rough handling, was the box still factory sealed or was it resealed?

On projects I have done, when the paint came out that bad, I sanded the thing back down to bare metal and started over. That is pitiful. (Actually I have much stronger feelings about it but Children might accidentally venture onto this site)
0FE9ECDC-3D62-4152-9489-460E0489CFD9.jpeg

I reported a defect in an FL die to Forster and they told me I broke the die. Good luck with them.

I reported a defect in an FL die to Forster and they told me I broke the die. Good luck with them.

I called them and told them my custom honed 6CM die sized new, unfired, brass case webs down .002 and they said I didn't know how to measure cases. Two trips back and they die is exactly the same. The Forster 6.5CM die I have doesn't size the new, unfired, 6CM or 6.5CM case webs down. I bought another brand die and threw the Forster in the scrap bin.

Edited to say, yes you certainly have an issue. The brand ambassadors get tiring.

Last edited:
*Update. Forster emailed me today and asked me to send them some pictures. I sent them all the pics I included here. They emailed back and said they are going to send me a shipping label, and would like me to ship it to them. They will also be shipping me a new replacement. So they are taking care of it.
Good deal. Good to see them taking care of it

Never owned a Forster CO AX, now I know I don't want one. Thanks OP...

You're welcome to go back through my posts. I'm not going to type out a dissertation every time I share the same opinion I've shared a dozen times.
So of the dozen times you claim to have shared your opinion on the Forester Co-Ax press the SH search engine was only able to come up with one post. Post #16 here. So your disappointment was with having to switch jaws for different cartridges and having an issue with sizing that required cam over. I guess that is a valid concern but nothing that doesn't come up with any other single stage press out there. Different cartridges require different shell holders.

Most of my reloading has not required that I set the sizing die lower than just contacting the jaws, usually just off the jaws to minimize sizing. What other complaints do you have with this press?

So of the dozen times you claim to have shared your opinion on the Forester Co-Ax press the SH search engine was only able to come up with one post. Post #16 here. So your disappointment was with having to switch jaws for different cartridges and having an issue with sizing that required cam over. I guess that is a valid concern but nothing that doesn't come up with any other single stage press out there. Different cartridges require different shell holders.

Most of my reloading has not required that I set the sizing die lower than just contacting the jaws, usually just off the jaws to minimize sizing. What other complaints do you have with this press?

I think you're understating the issue with the jaws. I ended up converting the press to traditional shell holders when I got sick of destroying brass with the auto shell holders. Then there was the issue of die rings being on the last threads of the die after the conversion.

That and the reliance of $.50 die rings that induce measurable run out.

Oh, and the press handle is 16" higher than every other press on the market so the bench I've had for years, that has two other presses mounted to it, is too tall.

The list goes on. I kept it until the 419 press came along and then sold it. Good riddance.

I think you're understating the issue with the jaws. I ended up converting the press to traditional shell holders when I got sick of destroying brass with the auto shell holders. Then there was the issue of die rings being on the last threads of the die after the conversion.

That and the reliance of $.50 die rings that induce measurable run out.

Oh, and the press handle is 16" higher than every other press on the market so the bench I've had for years, that has two other presses mounted to it, is too tall.

The list goes on. I kept it until the 419 press came along and then sold it. Good riddance.
So how did the shell holders destroy your brass?

They're universal and overlap rim diameters and don't necessarily match the rim rebate. 6.5 PRC didn't work with magnum jaws and caused misalignment thus ripping necks on the decapping pin. 223 is the same if you don't use small jaws. Of course, the jaws aren't indexed so every time you swap them they're in a different place on the ram face.

The press was supposed to be convenient but was always a source of headaches.

My experience is different and overall positive.

I will agree you need the small side of the jaws for .223 and I did have an issue with misalignment for a bit. I traced the issue to a bad spring in the jaws, and frankly being in a hurry. I traded out both springs, and slowed down a bit to fix it.

I’ve taught several fiends and relatives how to relaod and I’ve noted that same tendency to run the press handle overly quickly.

Anyway while it’s not for everyone, I will continue to use my co-ax. I’m perfectly content with it.

Reactions: habman13 and iceng
I am glad the manufacturer is taking care of it for you. I am so anal retentive and borderline compulsive disorder prone when it comes to my reloading equipment and guns. I am so picky, and my other press is so babied—those visible chips on a new press would drive me nuts. The CO-AX press will be my next press.

If you e-mail those pictures to Scott at Forster he will take care of your problem. Bob Rod and Scott are stand up guys they are very Concerned about customer satisfaction.

Just picked up a brand new one from Scheels. For a $365 press, this thing has the worst paint job of any press I’ve ever seen. Including the cheapest Lee presses.

And before the whole “it doesn’t effect function” crowd. I get it. But for a top tier press their paint department sucks. Or the shipping and handling team who seems to throw them around sucks.

v3gshrD.jpg

dFQagVi.jpg

6Dtc1tu.jpg

ZkJCyW3.jpg

4k9vPwn.jpg

faa9II0.jpg

0Ek8TcG.jpg

aI1hw0v.jpg
Not typical. Buy another/return/exchange sub-standard press. They are made by imperfect humans. Maybe a Monday or Friday output. Or, contact Forester. Approach with a "I wanted the best. I'm really disappointed. Can you help me understand" You'll probably get a new press and some bling for your disappointment. If not. Do the return thingy.

Not typical. Buy another/return/exchange sub-standard press. They are made by imperfect humans. Maybe a Monday or Friday output. Or, contact Forester. Approach with a "I wanted the best. I'm really disappointed. Can you help me understand" You'll probably get a new press and some bling for your disappointment. If not. Do the return thingy.

*Update. Forster emailed me today and asked me to send them some pictures. I sent them all the pics I included here. They emailed back and said they are going to send me a shipping label, and would like me to ship it to them. They will also be shipping me a new replacement. So they are taking care of it.

Reactions: TommyD11730
Mine is the older shiny paint and it also was perfect. I have had it for about 8 years and still looks great very little wear.
Mine is about 20 plus years old and still looks great and works better than new. I'm 70 and will never replace it and wish I could have afforded one 50 years ago. My first press was a Hearders and the second was a RCBS and I never wore either one of them out. Both were given to me for a song you could say. Both well used and the dies. My Forster eclipses both of them. Nothing can compare to a Forster. Nothing more say about anyone else, with the exception of Dillon. They build great equipment and back it up to the max. That is all I have to say on this.

• Love
Reactions: sinister
Got mine from Creedmore sports and it took 6 months to get. Would not trade it for anything even if the handle is long. Who cares just choke up on it. So far it has made outstanding ammo and everything measures out to the half thousandths. No complaints with mine and Forester has had great CS everytime I have dealt with them.

Would not trade it for anything even if the handle is long. Who cares just choke up on it. So far it has made outstanding ammo and everything measures out to the half thousandths. No complaints with mine and Forester has had great CS everytime I have dealt with them.
You can just hack-saw off a few inches until you find the right length you want. I used a 3/4-inch diameter handle off a different press, and now have three different handle lengths. You can also use a throw-length limit screw so the handle doesn't go up and over the press -- it'll cut the travel arc for shorter cases and cartridges (9mm and 45 pistol, and 5.56).

It fits on top of your current screw (from the bottom under the deck:

Forster-CoAx-travel-limiting-device-Cuts-your.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Shooting blanks
Got mine from Creedmore sports and it took 6 months to get. Would not trade it for anything even if the handle is long. Who cares just choke up on it. So far it has made outstanding ammo and everything measures out to the half thousandths. No complaints with mine and Forester has had great CS everytime I have dealt with them.
If you find the original handle too long, purchase the short one or make your own.

Reactions: spife7980
If you e-mail those pictures to Scott at Forster he will take care of your problem. Bob Rod and Scott are stand up guys they are very Concerned about customer satisfaction.
Not alway, Sir. Not alawys. Especially if you are a client from overseas.

Update: One month after buying it from Scheels online, Forster has mailed me a new Co-Ax press. The original from Scheels was shipped simply in the press box itself. Forster mailed the new one inside another box with a lot of paper stuffing to protect it in transit. I appreciate that gesture.

If I was to rate quality of a paint job on a 1-10 scale. With 10 being the highest quality, I’d rate the first press a 4 and this press an 8. It’s certainly better then the first one. But still lacking in alot of ways. Nothing against the quality of the actual press as much as the paint job. I’ve never seen a $130 Rock chucker with a bad paint job. So for this higher end press it’s a bit suprising.

I’ve included a bunch of pictures of the new press. New one doesn’t have the gap near the bottom right control arm. Paint is a lot better but there was still a few paint chips right out of the box. I intend to keep this one and just start using it

HYeHZJa.jpg

tVwSzVT.jpg

QBvM43l.jpg

z1gb0ud.jpg

eTy6vIS.jpg

QyYTN72.jpg