• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Duracoat

Bamafan

Private
Minuteman
May 29, 2008
Charlotte, NC USA
I recently had my Remington R-5 professionally Duracoated. The rifle was cured in an oven and it was at least three months before I shot the rifle. When I cleaned the rifle, the duracoat started coming off. I was using Butch's Bore Shine. Any idea as to why this is happening?

Re: Duracoat

Could be a bad prep job. I Duracoated my own rifle, I went over and beyond to prep it properly. I used a heat gun to cure it (wife didnt like the fact of having gun parts in her oven). This was over a year ago and the finish is still as new as when I first did it.. I would take itback to whomever did the job and let them know. A true "proffesional" would fix it

It was not preped or mixed right. Duracoat is not cured in an oven. I would say it was not applied right.

I have done many a Duracoat jobs and if done correctly it isn’t coming off without some very powerful striper or blasting.

Dura Heat or Dura Bake is the thermal cure product but, the air cure Duracoat can be placed in an oven for a short period of time at a reduced heat setting. Prep is absolutely paramount with any coating, especially the thermal cure products. If done incorrectly, it might as well be Krylon. I've blasted off Duracoat that had P.P.P. and started laughing at how easy it came off, strong air pressure was taking some of it off.

The prep has to be the culprit. Cleaning solvents will not touch it. Acetone or hotter will soften it if left on it.
Good stuff when done right.
Rob

I agree on the prep job. It takes some serious solvents to get it off. The kind of solvents that burn through latex gloves.

Contact whomever coated it and see if they'll re-do it. They'll probably rather spend the money to re-do it to avoid the bad publicity.

If they wont....
Mind if we know who coated it?

Took it back to the dealer that did the coating. They were not amused. They are going to do it over again. Will let you know how it turns out.