• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos EDM Windrunner M98 .338 LM - NF 5.5-22x50 NPR1

protocol

Private
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2012
A very enjoyable platform to shoot, unless you have wide cheek bones and low rings.

30" and 24" barrels pictured. Both barrels are 1:10.

"A mile in a backpack" so to speak : )

Re: EDM Windrunner M98 .338 LM - NF 5.5-22x50 NPR1

Excellent! The Windrunner is still a standout platform
smile.gif

Thanks! It's very modular (well, the M96 platform is anyhow). M98 is 338LM only whereas the M96 will chamber 50 BMG, 408 Cheytac and 50 DTC. The M98 "might" chamber 308 win. but I have never checked. I know the conversion kits for each are a little pricey at $2K each (bolt, magazine and barrel is included with the kit). This is from what I've read, but the edmarms.com website isn't that fruitful with their data/details on offerings!

Oh don't I know - I still miss my XM04

Aww, damn. I bet you don't miss feeding it though!

Awesome. Easy to carry, you don't need a large gun case for this one.

wow that is extremely cool!

Im not going to be my normal self. it looks nice the scope is good quality though. hope you dont have any problems with indexing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im not going to be my normal self. it looks nice the scope is good quality though. hope you dont have any problems with indexing.</div></div>

Thanks! Nope, no issues at all with this setup.

I was not aware of this bad-A'ery until now.
Thanks....now you got me wanting one of these in .50, and I cannot divert my mind off of that.

Ok Cowboy, I'll bite....

What kind of "indexing" problems do you see as happening with a Windrunner?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Protocol</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks! It's very modular (well, the M96 platform is anyhow). M98 is 338LM only whereas the M96 will chamber 50 BMG, 408 Cheytac and 50 DTC. The M98 "might" chamber 308 win. but I have never checked. I know the conversion kits for each are a little pricey at $2K each (bolt, magazine and barrel is included with the kit). This is from what I've read, but the edmarms.com website isn't that fruitful with their data/details on offerings!</div></div>

The M96 is also chambered in the .338LM It is supposed to shoot like a pussycat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok Cowboy, I'll bite.

Proto, no scope on this one, great rig you have there. 100 at 10x8.

Click here: http://s623.photobucket.com/albums/tt319/1M_GHOST/?action=view&current=50I-SIGHTAVI.mp4

</div></div>
He got me on that one too. ????

LOL! I was thinking barrel indexing as in the dope differences between the two barrels, or how headspace, etc. changes between the two. Bill Ritchie designed the barrel indexing system to be pretty secure and precise through repetition. By the way, a total pleasure talking to Bill over the phone. Customer service is hands down some of the best in the industry (Stacey with AI would be neck and neck with Bill).

I know the term indexing gets somewhat confusing as it can refer to a lot of different things. With body indexing and overall ergonomics my only complaint would be the collapsible stock. For a tactical application I could totally see it working as intended. For what I use it for, not so comfortable. Even the adjustable cheek rest (which can be acquired for a hefty $650 with the trade-in of the factory stock/rest) doesn't go low enough. It's simply just too high for me. (I want to stress <span style="text-decoration: underline">me</span> there). If the stock could be used in more than the one "red ring" lock location it would be nice as well. Sure, I could do extensive modification to probably satisfy all of my complaints, but for at $6000+ rifle, it should be a bit more "adjustable" I think. I have to say the factory EDM M60-style bipod is not the best. I have constant cant problems with it because the legs don't sync in height, the legs don't fold easily most of the time, and it's fixed with zero swivel for tracking. The bipod is also about 7 lbs! I know, I know... get a different bipod, ok done.

Even given my complaints, I still enjoy shooting it as much as possible!

Hopefully I answer your question, but if not let me know and maybe I can get on the same page as you!

Thanks,

Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The M96 is also chambered in the .338LM It is supposed to shoot like a pussycat.</div></div>

That's true, forgot to add that one to the M96. Yeah, as heavy as the M96 is I bet it's very gentle. The M98 is 22 lbs. w/o optics and it feel similar to a 308. I bet the M96 is like shooting 5.56! I've never shot a M96 in 338LM, but I have in 50 BMG and it was rather tame.

About 100 percent less than a TAC-50, which I formerly shot regularly. That shit hurts after about 15 rounds...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok Cowboy, I'll bite.

Proto, no scope on this one, great rig you have there. 100 at 10x8.

Click here: http://s623.photobucket.com/albums/tt319/1M_GHOST/?action=view&current=50I-SIGHTAVI.mp4

</div></div>

Two words... Frigging sweet!

Uhmmm, I am thinking that Cowboy is driving at something all together different. I think he has never seen a Windrunner, let alone assembled/disassembled a Windrunner, shot a windrunner, and is as clueless as to how a Windrunner actually goes about mounting and registering the barrel. I think Cowboy thinks that one screws the barrel into the receiver every time.

And.....I think that it is exactly like "his normal self"

CLICK http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt319/1M_GHOST/ASD.jpg

Now go and get yourself either the long bpod pin from Bill CLICK http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt319/1M_GHOST/pi9h.jpg

Or contact Dogtown or trigger50 to see if they know where you can get the full above axis bipod tube.

CLICK http://weww.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1262342

and raise your scope with new rings.

You wont believe the difference..

Hehe! Oh man, if the barrel screwed onto the action I would have never bough it. That would be probably the worst thing you could do to a breakdown rifle I'd think. I can see where he could be concerned if it was threaded, but with the keyed Uzi-style mating it's rock solid consistent every time.

I was thinking about getting the tube bipod actually. Looks very stable at any angle, even with uneven ground. The default shipping M60-style bipod was pretty much designed for bench-only shooting from the looks of it. Pretty sweet setup.

I really should have bought the Nightforce UH (1.375") rings originally, but it felt good sitting here at home after I mounted the NF Titaniums... Then you run 140 rounds though it in a day and your cheekbone will know it. Nothing major, but it's there. It would be slightly worse if it wasn't for the 45 MOA base!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Uhmmm, I am thinking that Cowboy is driving at something all together different. I think he has never seen a Windrunner, let alone assembled/disassembled a Windrunner, shot a windrunner, and is as clueless as to how a Windrunner actually goes about mounting and registering the barrel. I think Cowboy thinks that one screws the barrel into the receiver every time.

And.....I think that it is exactly like "his normal self"

CLICK http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt319/1M_GHOST/ASD.jpg

Now go and get yourself either the long bpod pin from Bill CLICK http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt319/1M_GHOST/pi9h.jpg

Or contact Dogtown or trigger50 to see if they know where you can get the full above axis bipod tube.

CLICK http://weww.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1262342

and raise your scope with new rings.

You wont believe the difference..

</div></div>
Do you know what Bill charges for the new pin? I need to get my bolt to him anyways because it has a rough bolt lift.

I think it's $125 if I recall correctly.

Mine was getting a little rough thought the camming but I broke it down and cleaned with carburetor cleaner and coated all of the internals with white lithium grease. Probably good to have Bill take a look though. Knowing him he will just send you a new bolt!

Mechanic, Proto...

Bolt lift issues..complicated. We start at the bolt tube where the sear engages. If you think about it, when you open the bolt the sear glides up the angle to it's locked position.

Honestly, I'm guessing heat treating on the sear, look for galling. Is that fair? Well, to be honest, on this issue in that rig, I would press you to start at the sear's heat treating. If you sees "push" on the sear metal or bolt tube, well....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mechanic, Proto...

Bolt lift issues..complicated. We start at the bolt tube where the sear engages. If you think about it, when you open the bolt the sear glides up the angle to it's locked position.

Honestly, I'm guessing heat treating on the sear, look for galling. Is that fair? Well, to be honest, on this issue in that rig, I would press you to start at the sear's heat treating. If you sees "push" on the sear metal or bolt tube, well....
</div></div>

Oh I totally agree! My particular case was just from it being rather dirty... "crunchy" even.

The only other modification I did was trim the ejector spring slightly. It was difficult to chamber initially because of it. Afterwards, like a glove.

I saw another one at a range and noticed that the semi-circular part that the bolt "cams" on seems to be kind of polished on mine and my friends is case hardened black. It just seems to be galling as it ramps up even without a case. Just a hard lift that my Friends just does not do. I have had it for several years and if you can believe it only have about 30 to 40 rounds through it. It is still like brand new.

i never seen a rifle like this before