• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

EDM Windrunner SS99 .408 Cheytac question

M4guru

Here for the cheap AI barrels
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 27, 2006
    Wyoming
    Hello everyone,thanks in advance for some assistance. A friend is offering me an EDM Windrunner he no longer has the desire to own. It is an earlier built rifle, with the box and all factory accessories. He has put 50 rounds through it, meticulously documented and the rifle is in excellent shape. He has loved it, but a new baby has him offloading some stuff.

I have not found a lot of information on this specific variant, usually the stuff out there is based on the repeating version.

Any prominent issues? Price range?

I appreciate the help, I have been living behind a MK13, SR25, or SPR for years and haven't paid much attention to these rifles.

Re: EDM Windrunner SS99 .408 Cheytac question

What do you want to know? They are a good rifle well built, but no longer made. They are .50BMG and .50DTC capable as well as .416 barret and .338LM they went for $5800 new. They are accurate, and a lot of fun. You can even get the new .375 cheytac barrel made for it. It is obviously single shot only and can not be modified. They retain value because it is EDM arms. Any other questions?

Oh forgot there is a group buy of sorts to put the M200 bipod setup on it also in the 1000 yard section by Triggerfifty

Thanks brother, that is good to know. I have access to ranges where I will be able to use this rifle's capabilities, and I'd like to get a little more diversity to my long-range shooting experience.

M4,

Thanks for your service to our country and congrats on going thru SOTIC.

EDITED--will get pics and my questions up later

Thanks

They have "0" zero problems. They were a way EDM was able to sell a more competitively priced .50 and it just did not sell well so it was canceled. At a $5800 new price I would jump on $3k. You will not find much info online and only a few people know about them. I am one of them

Yes Mechanic but the SS99 could be gotten in take down model and/or normal bolt rifle model so that is why the following questions would need be answered before giving price:

1. Take down or normal bolt action model? Just look at pic of your linked thread. When I went to Riverside to pick up my first 408 long time ago, EDM had quiet of few of the SS99 actions only they were selling.
    2. What barrel manufacture? Depending on what year this rifle was made at EDM (If is full EDM build) the rifle should have either K&P or Lilja IIRC
    3. What stock? Now goes without saying that if its takedown model that answer is pretty evident lol. But there were alot built in heavy BR class stocks like one pictured in your link due to before it was EDM Bill was making 50 actions for BR under the Omni name.

Now the problems with the 408: Cost and fouling are the biggest issues.
    If this rifle in question is a take down model then be sure to check the extension locks to ensure the cheek piece rods lock into position so that you dont get busted in face upon firing if they collapse inward.

Thanks

Fair enough I see the conventional configuration on the link i had. You are right. As Later said those rods are critical to keeping a pretty face. Septic13 on here got a real good smack down when he didn't get it locked. He posted a pic of his eye and it was hamburger.

This one is the takedown version with a K&P barrel and Shilen trigger, and is a factory EDM build.

It has no glass, and I traded a an HK P7M13, an old MK12 MOD 0 upper, and some odds and ends for it last night. It came with the case, cleaning rod, bore guide, about 300 rounds of brass, and 500 bullets. It is s/n 003 so it must be an early gun in their production span.

I have a spare NF 8-32x56 with NP-R1 reticle I am planning on putting on it.

Good call on checking the stock extension rods. I wouldn't want this thing flying back into my face.

Thanks again for the help, any and all info on the platform is appreciated. I'm pretty excited, to say the least.

M4,

You come out good on that deal lol.

As far the scope--you may find yourself wanting to go down to the 5.5-22X due to the larger amount of elevation adjustments allowed. The 5.5-22X has way way more and depending on your target, etc you will find yourself hovering around the 17-20X range anyways.

BTW: If you find yourself wanting a "traditional" style bolt gun in either 408 or 375 just let me know and we can trade out somethings.

How long you gonna be at Bragg?

Thanks

I'll look into grabbing the recommended scope instead, and am going to convert to the M200 bipod setup. I have about 500 rounds of new brass and 300 bullets as well as the reloading dies and what not.

If you go with the Cheytac-style bipod assembly, be sure to check with Dean to make sure it'll fit that older receiver design. I suspect you're fine, but you know the whole assumption deal...

On reloading, check the case headstamps. If it's Jamison brass you'll probably want the newer stuff with two stars as the older stuff tended to be too soft (I think they'll exchange it for you if it's the old batch). My guess is for bullets you have the LRBT 419gr solids, which can now be had by Jamison(Cheytac). While expensive, they are the arguably the best performing projectile for ELR shooting. Alternatives include the 385gr Lehigh solids as well as the traditional jacketed bullets from Rocky Mountain. Reloader 25 has been the most popular powder for this cartridge over the years, but variation from lot to lot appears to be widening, so Retumbo is becoming more popular.

There are a handful of us .408 shooters here who've already sweat and toiled over this cartridge, so you've come to the right place for information.

Welcome to the Hide.

Great score M4 you are going to love it. That case if it is the one I think should be a Pelican 1750 and is $200 plain or $275 from EDM cut out for the rifle

He dropped off the dies, 200 pieces of new brass, 36 more once-fired pieces, 300 400GR bullets, and 200 419GR bullets this evening along with the log book. It has 36 rounds down the pipe.

I am pulling the trigger on a new NF 5.5-22 this weekend. What reticle is recommended for this application? I am very comfortable with the mil-dot reticle but am willing to try something else if it's optimal for this gun.

Later, I missed your earlier question. I'll be at Bragg for about 12 years...I got grabbed to be an instructor and will most likely stay there when I go back to the force.

M4,

The biggest concern in regards to reticle selection is intended targets and their range to be honest. As comfortable as you are with mil-dots they could or could not be best choice for you on this rifle for a few reasons such as 1. Your not really going to be milling at the distances that rifle excels at. 2. Depending on your target the dots could start to cover too much of it.

IMO the more simple and plain the reticle is the better it is for the ELR area because we only using the center of it anyways lol. This area is too critical at the ELR distances to bother with "holds" IMO so I "knob" everything lol.

I will send you a PM about Bragg. I will be seeing you there in the near future when I come for "visit".

Thanks

I'm kicking around the idea of trading this rig for something more practical (.308 or .300 WM Surgeon or AI), what's ballpark for a fair price? I'm very clueless here. The stuff I have includes:

EDM Windrunner SS-97 .408 CT in excellent condition (36 rounds down the tube), hard case, cleaning rod, bore guide. This one's got the K&P barrel, Shilen tigger, and threaded muzzle w/brake. I have been told it is bone stock as it came from EDM. No glass.

36 rounds once-fired TTI brass
    60 unfired TTI brass
    200 419GR TTI bullets
    180 400GR TTI bullets
    .408CT loading dies

I am not 100% sure I want to get rid of it but I will have more opportunities to shoot 200-1250 than I will 1500+, plus I go to precision shooting schools where a smaller more traditional platform would suit me better. However, this is likely one of those guns that once I get rid of it I can't replace it so I am very much on the fence with regards to what I want to do with it.

Oh forgot there is a group buy of sorts to put the M200 bipod setup on it also in the 1000 yard section by Triggerfifty

Where can I get info on these?