• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Extremely Noobish Question.

Clamber

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2010
Utah, USA
So I recently got my first bolt-action rifle, and yesterday I mounted to scope on it. And I noticed when chambering a round my thumb knuckle hits and rubs on the rear end of my scope.

I assume that's just my lack of proper technique, so I'm just wondering, what is the proper way to do it?

I didn't want to make this thread because I didn't want to sound like an idiot, but I want to learn how to do everything properly.

Thanks,
Coby

Re: Extremely Noobish Question.

We can't learn if we don't ask.

Here you go:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/azCRVyMs2dI?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/azCRVyMs2dI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here you go:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/azCRVyMs2dI?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/azCRVyMs2dI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object> </div></div>

Exactly what I wanted to know, thanks!

I'm going to start practicing that.

Practice it SLOW.

Slow is smooth.
Smooth is fast.

Don't even think about speed. Concentrate on keeping your face on the stock and your eyes on the target when you run the bolt.

Slow is smooth.
Smooth is fast.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.</div></div>

Well, no. Slow is simply...slow.
laugh.gif

But I know what you mean. Here's how I would say that a bit more accurately - learned from some decades of martial arts:

Speed and power must follow correct form. Get the form right first, then work on speed and power.

so that's how you learnt to do so many press-ups
laugh.gif

First of all, the learned posters above give excellent direction/advice. Secondly, I have long thought that it is simply assinine that rilfe mfgs. have continues to design bolt asseblies/handles that will cycle so close to the ocular lens of scopes since telescopic sights were invented and so dominant in there use.

Many mfgs. have addressed this with different bolt handle angles, lenghts etc., and even other mfgs, (e,.g. Sako) have reduced bolt lift on the order of 60 degrees to help eliminate this issue. I HATE a bolt knob that cycles close to the ocular lens of the scope, and in fact have made special efforts to eliminate that on my rifles. I like to do it my way to a degree, which includes NOT letting my grip on the bolt knob go away, as is necessary with many rifle's bolts, as seen in the video's referenced. I CAN do it, but I prefer to have a rig that doesn't make it a necessity....all that said, I have an inherited Rem 721 from Grandfather to Father to me, and I run the bolt that way--WHEN I need a follow up shot, which is extremely rare, as this is a hunting rig only......

fish, I run my AI the exact same way and it's a 60* lift.

It is simply the fastest, smoothest way I have seen to run a standard bolt. It's almost as fast as a straight pull bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's how I would say that....
Speed and power must follow correct form. Get the form right first, then work on speed and power.
</div></div>

Yes Lindy, but I am a knuckle dragger and not nearly as eloquent. (not to mention my not so charming southern drawl) That's why I defer to you on the math type stuff.
wink.gif