• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F-35 pilot ejects on tarmac in Ft Worth

Looks like a lift fan failure after the bounce. and the throttle control got away from the pilot. Delay in ejection may have been an attempt to shut down the engine and ejected when that failed.

T
I'm not a pilot, but it would appear as the aircraft bounced, the throttle went up (maybe the impact caused the pilot to lurch forward on the throttle?). As the aircraft rolled to the starboard, I'd guess the pilot was trying to get the throttle back down and/or activating the fire suppression/emergency shutdown controls. He couldn't really eject with the aircraft canted toward the front starboard, unless he wanted to take a chance of ending up in the freeway, or worse, the fence. It would seem, as soon as the aircraft was level, the pilot must've seen the Altitude Indicator (or the AR AI on the inside of the helmet faceplate) and decided, now or never, and punched. At that point, the plane was likely already trashed beyond repair It's not like you can just glue the carbon fiber back into place...

Again, just a guess, since I'm not a pilot, and am only vaguely familiar with the helmet system (had it on a few times during a demonstration) that my company produces, and how it displays the literal metric shit ton of information being fed to the pilot. It does make me suspect, that during all this, his data input was likely through the roof. At some point, I'd suspect, you're just looking for a safe opportunity to bail without killing yourself or blowing the plane up. 'Plane just came down hard, and nosed into the pavement! Emergency shutdown procedures initiated? Yep! Plane is now level? Yep! Time to go!'

"You don't have time to think up there. If you think....you're dead."

Screenshot_20221216-145422_Brave.jpg

Here's an elementary tangent for those in the know, to us (the great unwashed).

Seeing as there are no tray-tables to fold-up and put away, and there are no 'smoking/non-smoking' lights to blink on or off..... is "ejection" always and only a "pilot decision" or in this world of automation and 'fly-by-circuit-board' is there instances where the plane will decide "OK, that's it pilot, you're outta here"?

I mean, they're already strapped in with the eleventeen-point harness. I'm betting that there is the NASCAR helmet-retraction cable-thingy for the pilots body to be 'put right where it's supposed to be' and then "pop goes the weasel"?

Or are we not quite at that stage yet, with technology? Just curious, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Looks like a lift fan failure after the bounce. and the throttle control got away from the pilot. Delay in ejection may have been an attempt to shut down the engine and ejected when that failed.

T
I was also thinking..
Maybe the pilot realized
LOTS OF Engine and HOT Exhaust, FUEL in the tanks, and the canopy was pointed the right way.. good time to say fk' it and get the hell out.
maybe he/she realized, crap, if a wing gets a leak, I'm sitting on a bomb.

He had a 50/50 chance and won, he ejected into the air if it roll over again that would of been his grave site deep how deep he went in. Its was a successful landing just a very expensive way to land.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
More than likely the pilot was automatically ejected. The Short Take-off/Vertical Land (STOVL) variant of the F-35 will automatically eject the pilot when the aircraft senses it is unrecoverable while in the vertical land mode.

Seat details here:

At around 1:16 of this video you can see the Transparency Removal System (TRS) blow the transparency into 2 pieces so the seat can go through without shredding the pilot to pieces.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. So first off, this being the case.... folks should wait for an after-action report (or autopsy, or whatever it's called) to see if maybe he did it voluntarily, or if he was voluntold by the computer that his presence wasn't needed any further.

I worked as an assembler in 4 different departments at the F-35 plant on NAS JRB Fort Worth from July 31st 2018 until August 9th 2022. Before that I was an active duty USMC Aircrew (flight mechanic) on C-130 T models at VMGR-234. Given all of my experience and understanding of aerospace and aviation, I can tell you that the F-35 is a complete POS. It's a complete scam of the US and 8 other NATO taxpayers money. The quality control and workmanship is heinous and I would NEVER allow my only son (or anyone I cared about) to fly in one of those shitboxes. The F-35 from a manufacturing and materials logistics standpoint is the essence of government and currupt corporate bureaucracy. I hated working at that hell hole and the F-35 will continue to have major failures due to FOD and quality issues. Fuck the F-35 and fuck Lockheed Martin.

I worked as an assembler in 4 different departments at the F-35 plant on NAS JRB Fort Worth from July 31st 2018 until August 9th 2022. Before that I was an active duty USMC Aircrew (flight mechanic) on C-130 T models at VMGR-234. Given all of my experience and understanding of aerospace and aviation, I can tell you that the F-35 is a complete POS. It's a complete scam of the US and 8 other NATO taxpayers money. The quality control and workmanship is heinous and I would NEVER allow my only son (or anyone I cared about) to fly in one of those shitboxes. The F-35 from a manufacturing and materials logistics standpoint is the essence of government and currupt corporate bureaucracy. I hated working at that hell hole and the F-35 will continue to have major failures due to FOD and quality issues. Fuck the F-35 and fuck Lockheed Martin.
Tell us how you really feel! 😂

Might have to fire up my flight sim, see if I can replicate it...of course I don't have an F35 in the hanger...but I could bounce a tail dragger bush plane and tip over on it's nose. Hehe

I thought Argentina, but this might be Chile
My geography isn’t the best for South America
43475FE7-ACD4-486D-97D8-C0BF9BBDA2B9.jpeg

Confirmation from the inside…

Reactions: reNickulous
Well that aint good..

Any insight to what the pilots think of them?

Well that aint good..

It's like an iPhone or an EV; very capable but boring. Plus they've had lots of problems with them in the field. The flight mishaps and FOD findings are so common the squadrons do not trust the air craft when it's delivered and strip it down to do their own inspections. The plant is constantly being threatened to shut down production by government inspectors and failed audits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
Well that aint good..

Yes, they like the plane.

The posts on here about dogfights blah blah don't mean shit. A dogfight is like pistol range for gunfights and its then a crapshoot.

The USAF and other Western nations will have an integrated system to maintain situational awareness across the skies. The Air General, Wing commanders, and Squadron commanders will manage the battle and coordinate with the Navy Aegis or Army AD systems to mindfuck the enemy.

Reactions: reNickulous
The posts on here about dogfights blah blah don't mean shit. A dogfight is like pistol range for gunfights and its then a crapshoot.
They said the same thing when the F4 Phantoms were loaded up w/ missiles and no cannons, no..??

And the F14 IIRC.
Obviously our air-to-air missiles have advanced by leaps and bounds since then, thank God.
But if history is any indicator, its an area that shouldn't be neglected in favor of techno-wizardry.

I happen to know someone that would know, said that the lift fan was about to fail. He said you could see the smoke coming from the lift fan gear box / clutch. I would agree with what someone here said about the controls reacting wonky and nosing the plane over. As far as the punch out it may have been automatic. LM will strip that aircraft down to the bone and inspect it to the smallest particle.

Reactions: NoDopes
Kelly sure changed

And that was 3 years ago....
Published: 15:30 EST, 25 July 2019 | Updated: 14:03 EST, 26 July 2019 .
But to be fair she was 62 and yeah there are some that still look good at 62 but they are rare.

The USAF and other Western nations will have an integrated system to maintain situational awareness across the skies. The Air General, Wing commanders, and Squadron commanders will manage the battle and coordinate with the Navy Aegis or Army AD systems to mindfuck the enemy.
Don’t drink the Kool-aid, man.

They’ve been trying to get JTIDS fully working since 1981.

They said the same thing when the F4 Phantoms were loaded up w/ missiles and no cannons, no..??

And the F14 IIRC.
Obviously our air-to-air missiles have advanced by leaps and bounds since then, thank God.
But if history is any indicator, its an area that shouldn't be neglected in favor of techno-wizardry.
The battlefield has changed. Much like the carrier being now an outdated, outmoded way to project power (unless it's parked off a 3rd world country's coast), the "dogfighting" aircraft has become less a priority, and less effective. Make no mistake, dogfighting will continue to be a need, but it will be a supplemental role, not a primary one.

Don’t drink the Kool-aid, man.

They’ve been trying to get JTIDS fully working since 1981.
They're getting closer, but it's still a nightmare of data management and data interoperability. Nevermind doing that in a comms denied environment....

They keep renaming it, but it continues to be a challenging problem.

JTIDS=> Forcenet=> Netcentric Warfare => JADC2 => <new buzzword>

Reactions: Baron23
They're getting closer, but it's still a nightmare of data management and data interoperability. Nevermind doing that in a comms denied environment....

They keep renaming it, but it continues to be a challenging problem.

JTIDS=> Forcenet=> Netcentric Warfare => JADC2 => <new buzzword>
1671380743173.jpeg

And the F14 IIRC.

You clearly have 0 idea of where the fight is going next......

You clearly have 0 idea of where the fight is going next......
Probably right. I aint a fighter pilot.

Just saying, the "WVR dogfighting is obsolete" idea has proven wrong before.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if/when we go up against, say China's air force. Very curious to see how their AESA's compare to ours.

Last edited:
The battlefield has changed. Much like the carrier being now an outdated, outmoded way to project power (unless it's parked off a 3rd world country's coast), the "dogfighting" aircraft has become less a priority, and less effective. Make no mistake, dogfighting will continue to be a need, but it will be a supplemental role, not a primary one.
With the advent of supersonic sea skimming cruise missiles(and hypersonics soon to be commonplace), what do you think will replace the capabilities of carriers?
Just long range mid-air refueled flights and submarine-launched cruise missiles?

I was waiting for the military to actually put in production, a 747 loaded with Hypersonic missiles. Damn shame they discontinued building the 747.

With the advent of supersonic sea skimming cruise missiles(and hypersonics soon to be commonplace), what do you think will replace the capabilities of carriers?
Just long range mid-air refueled flights and submarine-launched cruise missiles?

One word.... Unmanned

Reactions: Forgetful Coyote
Probably right. I aint a fighter pilot.

Just saying, the "WVR dogfighting is obsolete" idea has proven wrong before.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if/when we go up against, say China's air force. Very curious to see how their AESA's compare to ours.
I've posted a bit about this somewhere on SH recently but here goes again.

First, my experience and knowledge is 40 years out of date. We were still flying bi-planes when I was in USAF....well, almost. It seems that long ago.

And, when I did serve I was part of the adversary/red forces at Nellis and then at Clark AFB.

The basis of our training of dissimilar air combat tactics (DACT) at the time was based on studies that came out of Vietnam analyzing why McNamara's (and his host of best and brightest fucking idiot ops analysts) gee whiz F-4's (and F-105 for that matter) were shot down fairly regularly by fucking Mig-21's.

Very broadly (and vaguely as I've been away from this for a long, long time), this study concluded most air to air engagements devolved into a visual dogfight, that large size and hence being the most visible was a distinct disadvantage, that visual engagements tended to end up as slow speed fights and low speed rudder authority was very valuable (ah, look to the F-16 for how these lessons were implemented to some extent...and look at the fucking huge size of the F-22/35 which seems to indicate that these considerations were either forgotten or no longer valid with today's aircraft tech).

Now, understand, this was mainly addressing F-4's that used a pulse radar for a fire control system and there were indeed ways to beat this radar...to break the range gate and to get inside of min range on the AIM-7 radar guided missiles. Once inside min range, its a visual fight not much different that prior wars.

When I was part of this, the F-15 and its Doppler radar just started to come into the inventory and suddenly our little bag of tricks didn't work anymore. No way to break lock and get inside and those fuckers could go way high and had real look down/shoot down capability when all older radars were defeated in this by ground clutter.

We still practiced air combat maneuvers and tactics against dissimilar aircraft....but the game changed dramatically from that point forward.

I have no idea what tactics and limitations they have now with F-22/F-35 aircraft but I'm sure that those radars are far more effective than the F-15's that I was slightly familiar with. So, I speculate that shooting you in the face on the way in is probably an even higher confidence tactic than with the F-15. But even so, all pilots still need to know visual combat maneuvers and tactics just because (I presume that in a very dense, high threat, air combat environment you can't shoot everybody in the face from 15 miles out and will get jumped and need to visually maneuver, right?).

Oh, also....at the time I was in our rules of engagement required a visual ID before you could shoot. This sort of automatically got you into a visual range type engagement. F-4's used to use an "eyeball/shooter" type approach where someone would close with the bogey at high speed and get a bandit VID for trailing aircraft to then shoot. In the very early F-15 deployments that I had some shallow familiarity with back in the day, this was considered to be highly restrictive and inhibit the plane's advantageous capabilities. At one time, as a sort of interim measure, they mounted scopes (yeah, like what we use). in the cockpit attached to a canopy bow that could be swung down in front of the pilot and aligned with the longitudinal access of the aircraft. So, flip the scope down, pull the target box on the HUD to the center line, and look thru the scope to ID the bogey, and if bogey was a bandit then shoot them in the face. If I remember correctly, this was quickly supplanted with some sort of telescopic camera system. I'm sure that the new aircraft have far more sophisticated capabilities for VID and I have zero idea what current ROE are and if they still include VID requirement.

I don't go off about this stuff very often as I don't want to be one of those guys who lives in their past glory days....that, and I was really just a nobody. Just ayoung field grade officer who did his six years and then got out like an idiot. So, take anything I say with a grain of salt.

Cheers

I've posted a bit about this somewhere on SH recently but here goes again.

First, my experience and knowledge is 40 years out of date. We were still flying bi-planes when I was in USAF....well, almost. It seems that long ago.

And, when I did serve I was part of the adversary/red forces at Nellis and then at Clark AFB.

The basis of our training of dissimilar air combat tactics (DACT) at the time was based on studies that came out of Vietnam analyzing why McNamara's (and his host of best and brightest fucking idiot ops analysts) gee whiz F-4's (and F-105 for that matter) were shot down fairly regularly by fucking Mig-21's.

Very broadly (and vaguely as I've been away from this for a long, long time), this study concluded most air to air engagements devolved into a visual dogfight, that large size and hence being the most visible was a distinct disadvantage, that visual engagements tended to end up as slow speed fights and low speed rudder authority was very valuable (ah, look to the F-16 for how these lessons were implemented to some extent...and look at the fucking huge size of the F-22/35 which seems to indicate that these considerations were either forgotten or no longer valid with today's aircraft tech).

Now, understand, this was mainly addressing F-4's that used a pulse radar for a fire control system and there were indeed ways to beat this radar...to break the range gate and to get inside of min range on the AIM-7 radar guided missiles. Once inside min range, its a visual fight not much different that prior wars.

When I was part of this, the F-15 and its Doppler radar just started to come into the inventory and suddenly our little bag of tricks didn't work anymore. No way to break lock and get inside and those fuckers could go way high and had real look down/shoot down capability when all older radars were defeated in this by ground clutter.

We still practiced air combat maneuvers and tactics against dissimilar aircraft....but the game changed dramatically from that point forward.

I have no idea what tactics and limitations they have now with F-22/F-35 aircraft but I'm sure that those radars are far more effective than the F-15's that I was slightly familiar with. So, I speculate that shooting you in the face on the way in is probably an even higher confidence tactic than with the F-15. But even so, all pilots still need to know visual combat maneuvers and tactics just because (I presume that in a very dense, high threat, air combat environment you can't shoot everybody in the face from 15 miles out and will get jumped and need to visually maneuver, right?).

Oh, also....at the time I was in our rules of engagement required a visual ID before you could shoot. This sort of automatically got you into a visual range type engagement. F-4's used to use an "eyeball/shooter" type approach where someone would close with the bogey at high speed and get a bandit VID for trailing aircraft to then shoot. In the very early F-15 deployments that I had some shallow familiarity with back in the day, this was considered to be highly restrictive and inhibit the plane's advantageous capabilities. At one time, as a sort of interim measure, they mounted scopes (yeah, like what we use). in the cockpit attached to a canopy bow that could be swung down in front of the pilot and aligned with the longitudinal access of the aircraft. So, flip the scope down, pull the target box on the HUD to the center line, and look thru the scope to ID the bogey, and if bogey was a bandit then shoot them in the face. If I remember correctly, this was quickly supplanted with some sort of telescopic camera system. I'm sure that the new aircraft have far more sophisticated capabilities for VID and I have zero idea what current ROE are and if they still include VID requirement.

I don't go off about this stuff very often as I don't want to be one of those guys who lives in their past glory days....that, and I was really just a nobody. Just ayoung field grade officer who did his six years and then got out like an idiot. So, take anything I say with a grain of salt.

Cheers

Field grade 8n six years is impressive.

• Wow
Reactions: Baron23
Field grade 8n six years is impressive.
I’m sorry, Eddie. I’m an old idiot frightenly moving into Joe Biden cognizant territory. Sigh

No, I was a company grade officer. Got out as a USAF Captain (O-3). Sorry for any misrepresentation but it was not intentional.

I was offered an upgrade to regular commission (I was an ROTC reserve puke at the time) and I had a very good chance of making below the zone to O-4 but didn’t stick around for it.

Again, no intention but def misrepresentation. Thanks for catching it.

Reactions: EddieNFL
More than likely the pilot was automatically ejected. The Short Take-off/Vertical Land (STOVL) variant of the F-35 will automatically eject the pilot when the aircraft senses it is unrecoverable while in the vertical land mode.
I believe this is correct

Read something saying when it bounced, it threw off the system the controls the balance between the lift fan and main engine. For whatever reason killed thrust to the lift fan and powered up the engine.

The pilot was just along for the ride when skynet went haywire, then ejected him.

I had a very good chance of making below the zone to O-4

Back before there was the USAF, in 1944, my dad made O-4 in the Army AirCorps at 23. When I was 14 or so and into WW2 stuff, I asked him how he made rank so quickly and he said there always seemed to be a lot of openings above him around that time.

Back before there was the USAF, in 1944, my dad made O-4 in the Army AirCorps at 23. When I was 14 or so and into WW2 stuff, I asked him how he made rank so quickly and he said there always seemed to be a lot of openings above him around that time.
Haha..guess so! Lo