• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Movie Theater Falling Skies on TNT

High Binder

Resident Tribologist
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2008
Occupied Colorado
Just finished watching TNT's pilot of <span style="font-style: italic">Falling Skies</span>. All in all, I thought it wasn't all that bad but it needs some work as it was pretty slow in character and action department areas. I don't want to drop any spoilers so I'll leave it at that but curious as to what you all thought.

Re: Falling Skies on TNT

I thought it was alright. But not that good as I fell asleep half way through it, lol.

As with any new series, we'll have to hope it only gets better, but I thought it was great. There are a lot of possibilities for this show. It's nice to see a network like TNT do a new show that ISN'T a "reality" show.

I was a bit disappointed. I wanted to see the alien take-over of the planet instead of just jumping in after the fact. Plot was slow and too predictable. I hope it gets better.

I liked it. Yep, a little slow, but hopefully things pick up.

Cueball had a short movie career.

I DVR'd it but haven't watched it yet. I need something to take the place of V. Still wish ABC had not cancelled that show. I thought the second season was great.

So far I thought it was ok. Usually pilots are slow to get going. I'll watch a couple more episodes and decide if it is something I will keep up with.

so far so good, a bit slow but the whole plot has to be situated. I am hope for lots of alien as kicking and very little drama.
wait and see.

I only watched 15 minutes before I was pulled away for daiper duty...
Got to see an ELCAN......

Lots of "Assault Rifles" from a state where they are restricted...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did anyone see last night in the beginning on the roof when Noah Wyle handed the kid the binos he was looking through them backwards. </div></div>

HAHAHA I caught the show but missed that detail. LOL, how are they going to defeat aliens if a pair of binos kicks their ass?!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did anyone see last night in the beginning on the roof when Noah Wyle handed the kid the binos he was looking through them backwards. </div></div>

HAHAHA I caught the show but missed that detail. LOL, how are they going to defeat aliens if a pair of binos kicks their ass?! </div></div>

LOL, I remember the scene, but did not catch that one. I'll have to check it out on the DVR when I get home.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did anyone see last night in the beginning on the roof when Noah Wyle handed the kid the binos he was looking through them backwards. </div></div>

LOL

Makes me wonder about the actors as well. I would say thats about as bad as putting the scope to your eye, with zero eye relief, while shooting a fifty. Elephant White... dont watch it, terrible movie.

Got to read the online comic....pulls everything together so that the premier makes sense

Like the show...a lot. I hope TNT sticks with it, and it doesn't get screwed the way 'Jericho' did. Only thing that pisses me off is the number of AK-style weapons...in a post-apocalyptic northeastern US, something tells me AR-15 variants and other 5.56 weapons would greatly outnumber 7.62x39 rifles. But what the hell, its a TV show with CGI aliens, who cares about stuff like that?

Writers & Spielberg have said its less about aliens and more about human redemption...so I think we're gonna see LOTS of cinematic metaphors in the form of skitters & mechs and the best and worst the human race has to offer.

Those were special ninja binos, he was looking into the future.

Why are all the people suckin "Capt. Weavers" dick???

I doubt that'd happen in real life... He'd get an earful of lead in the real world!

Most men (knowing that the world is fucked) would either try to be "Capt. Weaver" or "John Pope"... Either way, the hotties would probably get raped!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big Bo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got bored and went to bed. </div></div>

+1

PP out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slowkota</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why are all the people suckin "Capt. Weavers" dick???

I doubt that'd happen in real life... He'd get an earful of lead in the real world!

Most men (knowing that the world is fucked) would either try to be "Capt. Weaver" or "John Pope"... Either way, the hotties would probably get raped! </div></div>

I know one things for sure, I sure as shit wouldn't be sucking cock and running mindless errands while my kid was out there...

It doesn't add up, dude-guy seems to be the only guy going out and getting supplies all the while taking orders and bumble-fucking his attempts to get his kid. So if he's the source of supplies why not ditch the dead weight (50-100 people he's supporting) and take a few like minded folk and form his own small gang of self supporting non-fuck-up-free-loaders? Sucks to say that but I think the reality of the situation would make such a move necessary...

I really didn't think that I would like this but.. I watched the pilot episode this weekend because nothing was one. Then I proceed to watch all 3 episodes. I can't miss it now!

It's an interesting take on a subject that's been hashed over more than a few times. Better than a lot, dare I say most, of them; and better than some of the TEOTWAWKI threads right here on this site.

Some of the comments in this one make me wonder who I should be watching more closely if/when things go South for real.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Like the show...a lot. I hope TNT sticks with it, and it doesn't get screwed the way 'Jericho' did. Only thing that pisses me off is the number of AK-style weapons...in a post-apocalyptic northeastern US, something tells me AR-15 variants and other 5.56 weapons would greatly outnumber 7.62x39 rifles. But what the hell, its a TV show with CGI aliens, who cares about stuff like that?

Writers & Spielberg have said its less about aliens and more about human redemption...so I think we're gonna see LOTS of cinematic metaphors in the form of skitters & mechs and the best and worst the human race has to offer. </div></div>

it's definitely getting there in the story. However, I think there are more people that own an AK or multiple AK's over the AR. I think there would be plenty of them around... not in the state the movie is portrayed in... but plenty here in Oklahoma.

Which episode was this?

I've watched every episode to this show. However, every disappointed. I was hoping for more. I guess TNT hyped it up so much that I expected to much. OH Well!

I'm still following the show, but it's a bit lacking.

We will see.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opeagle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm still following the show, but it's a bit lacking.

We will see. </div></div>

Yeah. Something feels a bit hollow. I can't quite place it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opeagle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm still following the show, but it's a bit lacking.

We will see. </div></div>

Yeah. Something feels a bit hollow. I can't quite place it. </div></div>

I agree, something about it is just weird and doesn't flow but I can't put my finger on what exactly it is... I feel like it's a lack of real chemistry in the cast but it could easily be the illogical way the aliens hunt/behave/etc. I'll finish out the season but if it doesn't improve I won't bother recording it next season...

Excuse me if I sound like a psycho sci fi fan. I have been reading post-apocalyptic scenarios since I was a little kid. I grew up on Heinlien, Asimov, and old guys like John W. Campbell (who wrote "Who Goes There" which was adapted to "The Thing"). I started reading Sci Fi, at 9 years of age, when we lived at Edwards AFB, during the X-15 era. I was ready to go to space next weekend, saw ALL the b-grade black and white monster movies (way before Godzilla).
This particular story line is extremely weak, and I doubt Dale Dye ever got a chance to mention some of the military weaknesses to the producers.
First off, there are no such things as civilians in a situation as bad as this. Only able bodied people willing to carry a weapon, and kill aliens, or dead people. There is no way any realistic scenario includes shepherding a bunch of dependents except perhaps some mothers and children, (I have a photo of a pregnant Israeli woman carrying an Uzi on yard duty in a school yard). Everyone takes a turn on a gun, everyone takes a turn scavenging/foraging.
Second, why no heavy hitters? Even barring the poor effect of the weapons being carried surely there are a few .50 BMG's around, and no matter WHAT a center hit on the head of one of the skitters is taking it down. Splatto.
Antitank weapons to take out the robot forms.
The "harness" is a take off on Heinlien's "Puppet Masters", and not a very good one. Consider the burning off of the harness on the kids: what about all that intense heat transferring into the body?
The weak spot on the aliens is in their mouth? Again, a single 50 cal BMG round to the head, and game over.
I agree that saddled with the sort of situation the lead role is saddled with, I would take some ass-kickers, and splinter off. I think the writers are trying to show that he is better off staying with the doctor, so he can hopefully recover his kid once he repatriates him. Probably can't do that as an outlaw.
Where are these people going? The alien emplacement is the key. Warriors should be near it not running away. And why the harnessed kids are just gathering scrap, instead of some realistic form of scavenging. If the aliens need metal, what about all the tanks, and girders in big buildings? This looks like a scrap drive in elementary school.
Finally, I have missed (recorded) the last two Sundays, so I don't know if they ever explained what the robot form is about. What is inside, and why bipedal? Maybe later.
I am not as impressed as I hoped to be. Typical weak, third-rate-network quality.
It may be "Just fiction" but it isn't done very well.
I expect more.

I think that this show is a good idea, but kinda poorly executed. But you can watch the hour long episode and at the end realize that basically nothing happened and that it was a huge waste of time.
For shows along the same lines, i wish that The Walking Dead would start back up again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sending downrange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that this show is a good idea, but kinda poorly executed. But you can watch the hour long episode and at the end realize that basically nothing happened and that it was a huge waste of time. </div></div>

Agreed, tonight's episode will determine if I watch at all next season but so far it's sucked pretty hard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sending downrange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i wish that The Walking Dead would start back up again. </div></div>

The other day I was thinking the same thing and ended up looking it up. They took an extra long break and the newest episodes wont be on until late October. At the end of last season they said June (i.e. last month) so something must have gone wrong in the editing dept or something...

Frank Darabont fired the TWD's entire writing staff after the first season and started having freelance writers doing scripts for Season 2.

I hope that isn't reflected in the quality & continuity of the series.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Frank Darabont fired the TWD's entire writing staff after the first season and started having freelance writers doing scripts for Season 2.

I hope that isn't reflected in the quality & continuity of the series. </div></div>

Why would they do that? Money? Hopefully they're not using the Falling Skys clowns

I am personally enjoying falling skies and the walking dead, as does the wife, mainly as it gets her all fired up over being prepared and buys be an excuse to purchase more toys
wink.gif

When I look at the "successful" smarmy predictable Syfy formula crud, like <span style="font-style: italic">Eureka</span> or <span style="font-style: italic">Warehouse 13</span>, I am kinda grateful for something that even begins to lend relevence to Sci-Fi.

Others tend to set it up on their pillory and nitpick it to death.

No wonder even moderately serious Science Fiction gets the shaft every time.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I look at the "successful" smarmy predictable Syfy formula crud, like <span style="font-style: italic">Eureka</span> or <span style="font-style: italic">Warehouse 13</span>, I am kinda grateful for something that even begins to lend relevence to Sci-Fi.</div></div>

You mean you didn't like <span style="font-style: italic">Mega Shark v. Giant Octopus</span> or <span style="font-style: italic">Shark Swarm?</span>

Last half-ass thing 'SyFy' did themselves was BSG...

Its interesting how so many folks claim to want bleak reality displayed...but nobody would watch bleak reality. I mean really, who wants an hour of <span style="font-style: italic">The Road</span> every week?

Not looking for reality, and most certainy not looking for "reality" as is currently defined by network (and other) TV. Sci-Fi sorta implies <span style="font-style: italic">fiction</span> from the start, doesn't it?

Looking for entertainment, and finding quite enough in shows like <span style="font-style: italic">Falling Skies, Firefly, </span>and <span style="font-style: italic">Defying Gravity</span>; most of which have already gone dodo.

Greg

Been watching it, but have to admit I can only DVR it as it is not hold me enough to watch commercials also.
I tell you what all these "guy" shows have done one thing for me. Sure wish 24 was back on. Only show I would lock myself in the bedroom and suffer through commercials for. R.I.P. 24. Long live Jack Bauer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure wish 24 was back on. Only show I would lock myself in the bedroom and suffer through commercials for. R.I.P. 24. Long live Jack Bauer. </div></div>

24 was *awesome*, but it peaked with season 5. Season 6's first episodes set a high expectation, but it sputtered the rest of the season and seasons 7-8 just didn't hold my attention.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Others tend to set it up on their pillory and nitpick it to death.
</div></div>

I tend to think that sci-fi fans deserve better. "Nitpicking" it to death is how we can air our frustrations with the lack of quality that I think we deserve. Simply accepting it because it exists and it's the best we can get doesn't do it for me. What was the last really well thought out sci-fi show that was good enough for you? For me it was Next Gen. or Voyager. These shows have writers who know the physics an the lingo and it comes out in production quality. Shows like Falling Skies are off somehow, almost like they're making it up as they go and I don't get the feeling that the cast/writers/director are very invested in it.

I'm not waiting. The finale matches the crtics' assessments; Falling Flat.

Decent start, but it died somewhere back a few weeks ago for me. I was in denial unil last night. Started with a bang, ended with a hokey <span style="font-style: italic">Close Encounters</span> pseudo cliffhanger.

Highbinder's actually quite right this time, S/F fans deserve better.

(Note to the network demigods: if you ain't gonna do it decent, don't do it at all. Anything else is just an teaser insult to us folks who have to live through all those interminable and mindlessly pandering commercials. If this is the best you can give us, I sincerely wish you the greatest pleasure in your retirement.)

Somewhere about halfway through this shortchange 'season' (since when is 10 episodes a season, anyway?) the writing and the production budget seemed to suffer a fatal drought. I kept expecting to see something accomplished, but all we got was a few plot twists and a lot of action taking place off-camera (like, just f'rinstance, the big showdown hail mary suicide battle for Boston...?)

Cheez...

Maybe <span style="font-style: italic">Terra Nova</span> will deliver something beyond a big hype buildup and a cloyingly insipid marshmallow filling...

Greg

So in 2 hours the only things that happened was they made a radio jammer and blew up one ship then got left with a lame hook...

This show sucks, I won't be tuning in next season...

This show could have been sooo much better if they had developed the aliens back story more.

The guys over on the Falling Skies Board are much harsher than we are lol:

http://forums.tnt.tv/jive/tnt/forum.jspa?forumID=60

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This show could have been sooo much better if they had developed the aliens back story more.</div></div>

Then what would they do in Season 2?

I don't understand most of the whining about this show. Yeah, it could be better - in a <span style="font-weight: bold">lot</span> of ways (the golden BB with an unguided RPG-7 taking down the alien ship, a grand example)...but its a basic cable production with a 10-episode first season and equivalent budget. Make it too dark, too gritty, too violent, too 'real', especially during summer months, and people won't tune in to watch.

Hell, Season 1 of LOST had 24 episodes and that show pissed off viewers (me included) with more questions than answers and unexplored plot holes/diversions right until the series finale.

I think the plot, media hype & advertising blitz set expectations too high...folks were hoping for HBO quality entertainment and when it didn't deliver, folks got mad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This show could have been sooo much better if they had developed the aliens back story more.</div></div>

Then what would they do in Season 2? </div></div>

What did they do in season 1? I mean it can't be that hard to make a good show. I get that' sits a first run with only 10 episodes but why not put everything you've got into those first ten so that people will tune into the next season. Take a look at the horrible reviews over on the Falling Skies board I posted above. I guess I'm so pissed because I really wanted to like this show.