• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FBI Sniper Rifles

I recently got some action screws on Ebay. You can search for extra long, or whatever. They were a couple of bucks...

Ummm...aren't they just 1/4-28? It would seem you could order long ones and trim them to fit.

Ummm...aren't they just 1/4-28? It would seem you could order long ones and trim them to fit.

Yeah, I think so. That's what I did for my Remington... As for the Winchester, you just need three screws instead of two.

Just dug out one of the Brownells sets - yep, 1/4x32. Shows what little I can remember these days.

Depends on the year. Winchester had two sized action screws for the Model 70 IIRC...

Skunk, what does the tag attached to the rifle say?

"Turn In."

I'm guessing that when this rifle was still at a Field Office it was tagged to go back to Quantico the next time a weapons maintenance team came around. A team of gunsmiths travels around every couple years doing maintenance/repair/upgrades in the field. Cheaper/faster than sending thousands of weapons back to Quantico.

Started at page 1 this am, have never built a clone rifle. The information in this thread is incredible and I had a great time reading about It. Thank you @Skunk and @j-huskey as well as others for sharing!

Reactions: j-huskey
Wasn't happy with the bedding job I originally did. I skim bedded it over the top of the original bedding and the barreled action just sat too high. So, I ground it all out, down to the fiberglass, and re-did it completely. Much happier with the way it turned out.

FBIbedding1.jpg
FBIbedding2.jpg
FBIbedding3.jpg

That turned out really nice, great job and thanks for sharing all those build details.

They had some variations of Remingtons built back in the 80’s and 90’s that can be seen on some vintage YouTube videos on the HRT that one can find. If that’s the era you and looking at...

Some were straight up M40A1 copies, and used Unertl 10x scopes, later versions had the same barreled action in a McM A2 stock. Given the proximity to the MTU/PWS at Quantico it’s probably reasonable they went to them for guidance in the early days of building their own rifles?

here are some screenshots from a dated FBI video on YouTube

View attachment 7346869View attachment 7346870View attachment 7346871

Hmmmm... Wonder whose house that is in those "dated" pictures?

Going to drop off the parts for a model 70 build to the Smith this week. J-huskey and Skunk: were there any specific stampings or marking on the rifles? Sweet being a former 2112, he didn't do any of the M40 Type stampings on the FBI rifles, correct? No Electro pencil US engravings? Just wanting to get my "Tribute" as close to as possible, lol! Thanks Again, for the Myriad of info and pictures you guys provided!

I dont remember ever seeing any markings at all. Dont remember ever looking for them.
@Skunk is probably our best source right now, on that.

The only markings I've seen on the guns, and keep in mind this is a sample size of like four or five, is a VERY faint "308 DOUG" on the left side of the barrel, about 4" in front of the recoil lug. Otherwise, just the last four of the serial crudely scribed in the barrel channel.

I've got a pic or two somewhere...

Reactions: j-huskey
Ok.. This is the barrel marking on a Win 70 still in an FBI field office. Not a great pic, but it's all I've got right now. Every one I've seen is exactly like this. Very faint, right at the stock line about 4-5" forward of recoil lug. Kinda have to be looking for it....the kind of stamp easily filled with paint.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    498.8 KB · Views: 161
Ok.. This is the barrel marking on a Win 70 still in an FBI field office. Not a great pic, but it's all I've got right now. Every one I've seen is exactly like this. Very faint, right at the stock line about 4-5" forward of recoil lug. Kinda have to be looking for it....the kind of stamp easily filled with paint.

AWESOME THANK YOU!!

So maybe someone here can help with a question... I just picked up this really nice SN9 USO scope. But it's a bit different from most of the production. It's a 6 x 30, not a 10x40. And has the model designation SN9-2a. Not SN9. And serial number 002. Very low.

While searching around the Interwebs for information, I came across a post from c. 2014 or so that says the FBI bought some 60 of the SN9's, which would be about 10 percent of production. But I'd never heard such a thing. That doesn't mean it's not true!

Anyone have any insight into this USO oddball?

BTW, it is from the era when JBWIII would build you anything you wanted, pretty much. This has right side windage turret. Dot reticle. No Illum. Serial 002.

I have an e-mail out to USO... hoping to get build sheet copy and info. But who knows what survived the move to NC.

Any of you guys have any ideas on whether SN9's were used by FBI? Were they custom if they were?

Cheers,

Sirhr

sn9-1.jpg
sn9-2.jpg

Last edited:

So maybe someone here can help with a question... I just picked up this really nice SN9 USO scope. But it's a bit different from most of the production. It's a 6 x 30, not a 10x40. And has the serial number SN9-2a. Not SN9. And serial number 002. Very low.

While searching around the Interwebs for information, I came across a post from c. 2014 or so that says the FBI bought some 60 of the SN9's, which would be about 10 percent of production. But I'd never heard such a thing. That doesn't mean it's not true!

Anyone have any insight into this USO oddball?

BTW, it is from the era when JBWIII would build you anything you wanted, pretty much. This has right side windage turret. Dot reticle. No Illum. Serial 002.

I have an e-mail out to USO... hoping to get build sheet copy and info. But who knows what survived the move to NC.

Any of you guys have any ideas on whether SN9's were used? Were they custom if they were?

Cheers,

Sirhr

View attachment 7479115View attachment 7479116

Skunk im sure could answer your question.

I never saw a USO on a FB1 rifle. But, that's why we need Brother Skunk to surface.

I don’t know of any USO that were on any issued rifles. Leupold, S&B, Nightforce are all I have personally seen.

Howdy, Boys. Sorry for the tardiness.

I’ve never seen or heard of a USO in FBI inventory, not on a fielded rifle anyhow. If the FBI has any SN9’s, they would possibly be at Ballistic Research Facility....?

I’ll send JBW3 a text to see what he says.

Will report back!

So got a note back from USO... the are not sure what the heck it is... serial number puts it in 2002 timeframe, but they never made a 6 - 30... Only 8 - 30. And N - 40.

They are looking more and deeper.

Interesting... very interesting.

As for the FBI Connection... I was pretty sure it was tenuous. And probably some kind of scope urban legend. But, hey, one never knows. And it would make sense to use in ballistics research. But the idea that they bought 10 percent of production and used the (bizarre -- lets face it... that's the right word) SN9 on any field rifles is pretty out there.

But part of what is fun about this hobby is finding unicorns, prototypes and strange things! And this seems to be one of them.

BTW, Second putting this whole thread as Sticky. So much amazing info here. I asked that one of the mods please make this sticky.

Cheers,

Sirhr