• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Few Probably Ametuer Questions to Most

shooter308

Sergeant
Minuteman
I have been reloading for years but always FL sizing. I recently got a comp. Neck sizing Redding die for my 308 and man when at the range this weekend I had more sticky bolt and having to hammer the bolt down in many occasions with the same loads i have been using for years??? Is there a different way to set this up that I am stupid on...What gives? I lubed the inside of the neck and little rub on the exterior of the brass to go smoothly although i dont think this is necessary is it on the outside on the neck sizer or so i think i read? L.O.L HELP ME

Question #2

How often do you most of you polish your brass in your tumbler i seem to do it every time i plan on shooting a match or going to do some friendly shooting with competitors/friends. I personally like my shiny but does it make a big difference? Also can it wear the brass thin? I use the "Dillion Blue Stuff" brass cleaner and Dillion Spray lube and sometimes Redding Imperial lube and Redding imperial dry neck lube on the question above also if that helps.

Re: Few Probably Ametuer Questions to Most

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been reloading for years but always FL sizing. I recently got a comp. Neck sizing Redding die for my 308 and man when at the range this weekend I had more sticky bolt and having to hammer the bolt down in many occasions with the same loads i have been using for years??? Is there a different way to set this up that I am stupid on...What gives? I lubed the inside of the neck and little rub on the exterior of the brass to go smoothly although i dont think this is necessary is it on the outside on the neck sizer or so i think i read? L.O.L HELP ME

Question #2

How often do you most of you polish your brass in your tumbler i seem to do it every time i plan on shooting a match or going to do some friendly shooting with competitors/friends. I personally like my shiny but does it make a big difference? Also can it wear the brass thin? I use the "Dillion Blue Stuff" brass cleaner and Dillion Spray lube and sometimes Redding Imperial lube and Redding imperial dry neck lube on the question above also if that helps. </div></div>

are you neck sizing once fired brass from your gun? if not an it is new or from another rifle, that can cause the sticky bolt. if it is once fired you maybe have a hot load and are stretching the case. i think fl sizing is still the way to go. keep your shoulder bumped back a couple of thousands and give it some room to breath. i don't clean my brass too often....fwiw

How many firings on the neck sized only brass? I suspect you need to bump the shoulders a bit with a body die...that should cure up the stiff bolt closure.

I can get 2-3 rds in my benchrest gun before I have to use the body die.But I am still going to get a Redding bushing style FL. Cant go wrong

Did you have trouble opening the bolt as well?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many firings on the neck sized only brass? I suspect you need to bump the shoulders a bit with a body die...that should cure up the stiff bolt closure. </div></div>

1 x fired in the same gun bought new fired with either the factory load in it as a fouler in my rifle then saved the brass or bought it brand new and loaded it then necksized it. who all make these Bump dies and how do they work?

The Bump dies are actually called Body Dies and Redding makes them, usually around 25-30 bucks. Its just a hollow die with no decapper that will bump your shoulders back when needed.

Now you know why so many shooters full length size.

As long as the cases are clean. Shine doesn't really matter.