• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

First bolt gun build!

Sam Barr

Private
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2012
Virginia
I've been lurking for a while and I've been wanting to put together something in .308 to get me started into precision shooting. Just testing the waters now, but I'd like to get into some competitive shooting down the line.

Had some extra AR stuff I didn't need that some buddies picked up to help fund this. I've got a budget of $2,100 left after buying an optic, rings, and a base.

Leaning towards a 700 AAC-SD. I'm trying to keep the rifle pretty compact, so I'd like a 16-20 inch barrel. I have a few places to shoot out to ~600 yards. I'd like to pick up a suppressor to finish off the build eventually, but that's not in the budget right now.

I just picket up a Bushnell Elite tactical 3.5-21x50 dmr ffp with the g2 reticle and some seekins rings and base from liberty optics. Saw a bunch of good stuff on here about that optic and decided that was the best option.

Definitely going to be reloading, so I'm factoring a press setup into the budget.

I'll keep track of how my experience goes on here. Hopefully it won't take too long to get everything together.

Definitely open to suggestions/comments from experienced members.

Here's the plan:

R700 - ~$725
Reloading press setup - $350 (looking used)
Components - $200
Chronograph - $125
Harris bipot - $125
Data book/rear bag/sling - ~$100
Replacement stock - undecided

Anything I'm leaving out? Suggestions?

Thanks

Re: First bolt gun build!

Sounds like a good start. Just have to prioritize your purchases.

I would put all the money into the rifle and optics first.

Rifle, Trigger, Stock, bipod ,stock pack, and rear bag.

A reloading setup is a good idea, and there is nothing wrong with buying used. You can get some good ammo upfront and then reload them as you get the gear.

As for data book , there are some nice one from hide sponsors, but there is nothing wrong with a memo book.

If you will be shooting 175 or 178, consider an FDAC. It comes with several cards based on velocity. Learn to calculate Density altitude and work your dope without a computer.

http://www.triadtactical.com/Field-Density-Altitude-Compensator.html

Iphones are cool and all, but I finally validated my FDAC in temps from 11 F - 108 F. DA was close to 8000 ft in the summer and 3500ft in the winter, all at a true 4978 ft altitude.

Have fun!

Very good start. I run the HDMR G2 for comps. I would suggest calling Russell at Scout Supply Company and get one of his "trued" R700's. Its affordable and in my opinion, just as accurate and reliable as a custom action. I run a 700P trued by Russell w/ Rock Creek .260 in a McRee chasis. "crazy accurate"

I would definitely consider one of the 5R Remingtons. Fit,finish and accuracy are money well spent. Just my opinion based on working on both. Have fun.
grin.gif

Regards,
Paul

my buddy has a aac-sd he is thinking of selling with a bedded manners t4a painted by usgunworks in multicam. you can see his work on his thread here.

let me know if you want some pics, he just got his AI AT with 308 and 260 barrels and doesnt need it anymore.