• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing First turkey of the season!

ToKeepAndBear

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
On call until 0700 this am, so getting out before daylight was a no go. Slept in, casual morning, and hit the woods at 1230.

Set up in one spot where I saw a gobbler a couple weeks ago and worked it about 45 minutes, but no luck. Drove on up the mountain to look for tracks and sign.

Got up where I had seen some birds last year and decided to just grab my gun and one mouth call to check it out. No tracks at all, called once, no response, decided to walk up the hill and check out the view at our 1000 yard shooting spot. Glassing the field, and nearly dropped my rangefinder, when a tom gobbled CLOSE.

I immediately dropped down but there were no trees for about 30 yards. I figured I'd spook the bird if I moved, so just kneeled down in the grass and got my gun ready. He gobbled two more times, I think I jumped two more times, again very close, but I could not see him. Waited a bit and gave one series of soft yelps with the mouth call. He cut me off and I thought he would come running. But he went silent for about 15 minutes. Started to get worried he may try to go around the woods and flank me. No way I could have moved an inch without the cover. About the time I was debating whether to call again or head for cover, I suddenly could just make out his tail feathers through the grown up grass. He was in full strut, doing figure 8s, but SLOWLY working my way. My gun was pointed the right direction but sure was getting heavy as I had been holding it for 30 minutes. A few more minutes, he walked just a bit closer, and finally stuck that head up at 25 yards looking for the hen... BANG, FLOP!

Couldn't really tell how big he was when I shot because of the grass, but he ended up being a pretty good bird. It was a good day.

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_1642.jpg

IMG_1663.jpg

Re: First turkey of the season!

Good looking bird and good job!!! I love Thunder Chicken hunting but unfortunately won't be able to get out and do it at all this Spring.... Hopefully can get one with my bow again this fall!!

Nice bird and a nice lookin shotty too. I can hardly wait for next weekend to get here so I can chase em and let My Benelli SN bark. I love how comfortable the steady grip is. I am using Federal 3 1/2"mag #6's w/ the flight control wad and a Primos JellyHead which I believe is a .660 and Burris reddot. How about you?

Thanks for the comments.

SM223, the Benelli Supernova's with the pistol grip are great aren't they. They are real handy and still point pretty well. I've had mine for about three years now and I love it. It is set up with a Kick's Gobblin' Thunder .665 choke, Mesa Tactical Rail, Eotech 512, and patterns great with the Winchester Extended Range 3.5 inch #5's out to 50 yards (furthest I have tested). Those 3.5 inch shells sure do kick like a son of a gun at the range, but they patterned the best, and I have never noticed it when hunting.

Good luck to you next weekend!