• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision FLIR T-50 Initial Set-Up

Once you co-witness the T-70's internal crosshairs (either the 5.56mm or 7.62mm set) you can remove your ACOG or ELCAN and put an Eotech 3X magnifier behind the instrument and use it like nobody's business as a standalone.

Yes, it works like a FLIR LS-64 in stand alone mode but max internal magnification is only 2X, with the internal reticules dialed in it becomes an outstanding stand alone thermal weapon sight!

Once you co-witness the T-70's internal crosshairs (either the 5.56mm or 7.62mm set) you can remove your ACOG or ELCAN and put an Eotech 3X magnifier behind the instrument and use it like nobody's business as a standalone.

Yes, it works like a FLIR LS-64 in stand alone mode but max internal magnification is only 2X, with the internal reticules dialed in it becomes an outstanding stand alone thermal weapon sight!

Sweet news. Cant wait til mine arrives!

I am really just liking my ACOG behind it, absolute perfect match and great FOV, hands down a winner!

The controls are super easy to operate and very ergonomic and simple to learn to use, real good versatile instrument out as far as you can see....

I've got several 1-4 and 1-6 scopes (S&B 1-4, Khales 1-6, etc) that I am anxious to try with the T70. It never occurred to me to use a magnifier with the T70 in stand alone mode! Have you tried the T70 without a magnifier in stand alone mode?

Here is the view through a 4X ACOG @ 250 yards (game came tree center is 175 yardes) in grey and in color:

ACOG%20Gray.jpg

ACOG%20Color.jpg

That is a squirrel on the ground at the base of the game cam tree.

Both the T-50 and T-60 have much larger lens systems so not a direct comparison, but it is comparable to the T-60 in black or white mode, but weighs much less....you can also adjust the display brightness in all modes similar to the T-50, which is real nice. The controls are simple to use and very versatile.

Thanks for sharing the deer pic above. The resolution is dead bang gorgeous in the GREY mode you depicted above. Our TNVC owned T-70 will be back in my own hands here next week where my Yote hunting will be commencing on a dairy farm close by I've been called upon to eradicate with extreme prejudice. ;)

Vic

Yeah the grey mode black version using the ACOG is super nice detail and excellent FOV too, I like it allot.

Good luck on the 'yotes, we have the great misfortune to be called out onto an upscale 36 hole country club golf course to eradicate some swine that have been destroying the greens and fairways, NV/thermal at night on the fairways should be very nice!

Nailed two hogs rooting up the front yard tonight, both head shots with the FLIR T-70 Thermal and 4X ACOG TA02LED:

Head%20Shot1.jpg

Head%20Shot2.jpg

Head%20Shot3.jpg

FLIR T-70 is AWESOME!

Got those two hogs in the front yard and dumped the offal in the backyard after we cleaned them up last night, now it's crawling with coyotes, so will have the T-70 in action again tonight!

Game%20Cam%20Coyote.jpg

Finally got to chrono my Barnes 70 grain TSX handloads this afternoon.

Using 25.0 grains of Hodgdon BLC-2 with Wolf primers in '09LC brass they average 2583 fps out of the SIG 556s with a 16" barrel and 1:7" twist:

SIG%20Chrono.jpg

Barnes%2070%20Chrono.jpg

Very nice!! Will you ever use the T70 as a stand alone?

That is certainly a possibility, but I like the T-70/ACOG instrumentation so much that I will stick with that for the foreseeable future.

I also purchased a Night Vision Optics I-Phone 5 to ACOG adapter so I could take actual photos and videos through my ACOGs behind the thermal instruments, in addition to collected NTSC video output from the FLIR thermal optics themselves.

I think I've got a perfect night-time digitized killing machine all fitted out now......

FLIR T-70 connects with another head shot @ 175 yards, will try to get some video out of the unit this weekend....

Backyard%20Sow.jpg

Everybody says our Italian sausage is to die for....

And the hogs certainly agree!!!

Another 60 pound batch came out of the electric sausage grinder last weekend....

Everybody says our Italian sausage is to die for....

And the hogs certainly agree!!!

Another 60 pound batch came out of the electric sausage grinder last weekend....

Whoa! Sharing is caring! Nice setup, is that a Sig 556?

Yes, it is one of my well worn SIG 556s with a Magpul CTR folder, a Shooting Sight Match Trigger and a Troy Rail.

It has the same NTSC 30 fps video output as both the T-50 and T-60 do since they are all basically thermal video cameras, I plan on trying to record some video kills this weekend if things work out properly.

The T-70 does have color video when in the IRON, RAINBOW, or ICE palettes, so it will record in color in those in addition to the regular Black or White Hot modes.

The T-70 has a female BNC video connector on the output end that you can hook up a male BNC to RCA connector to for attachment to a mini portable DVR.

Here is a short 3 minute 48MB WMV file in native 4:3 aspect 720X480 pixel output directly from the FLIR T-70 just to visualize the various different pallet choices and magnifications.

The original file was an 85MB AVI file and was reduced to a 45MB WMV file, so lost about 1/2 the resolution.

Also I am viewing this through a 4X-32mm ACOG using its reticule, so everything is greatly enlarged from what you see in the video.

The deer is located approx. 175 yards from the thermal and the pond in the backyard of our house is about 225 yards across to the planted slash pine tree canopy.

Those of you who hunt with me will recognize every detail....

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night Vision/FLIR T70/T70 Videos/FLIR T70.wmv

Next video will be a kill video....

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that the FLIR T-70 thermal video was made one hour after sundown with the ground and trees still quite warm, humidity is about 60% and ambient temp is 70 degreed F., it is much better out now that the temp has dropped to 60 F., should be some heavy dew later on.

Here is the mini DVR setup on the T-70:

T70%20DVR.jpg

Remember the resolution I am seeing in real time is twice that of the video plus it is magnified 4x....

It has the same NTSC 30 fps video output as both the T-50 and T-60 do since they are all basically thermal video cameras, I plan on trying to record some video kills this weekend if things work out properly.

The T-70 does have color video when in the IRON, RAINBOW, or ICE palettes, so it will record in color in those in addition to the regular Black or White Hot modes.

The T-70 has a female BNC video connector on the output end that you can hook up a male BNC to RCA connector to for attachment to a mini portable DVR.

TestNDoc, be sure get a DVR that has the screen time out and shut off when in standby mode, you'll need the screen to turn on the video recorder and adjust the audio levels, but once that is done it should turn off the screen in standby silent mode waiting for you to turn on the recorder.

TestNDoc, be sure get a DVR that has the screen time out and shut off when in standby mode, you'll need the screen to turn on the video recorder and adjust the audio levels, but once that is done it should turn off the screen in standby silent mode waiting for you to turn on the recorder.

Roger that...thanks for the advice SkyPup! I think I have the same DVR that you do...I got it with my T50 or T60 as I recall.

Last edited:
I think I have five mini DVRs now, that one is the best and simplest to operate in the dark and has the best resolution and is the ONLY one I have ever seen that is completely waterproof.

The Lawman miniDVR are the second best, but I have a couple of totally crappy elcheapo Chi-coms that are total POS and a complete waste of money....

If you have that DVR, all you need is the BNC adapter mentioned above.

This song dog was quite a hoot![:D]

I called him in to within 100 feet of us last Saturday night with a FoxPro Prairie Blaster playing Bay Bee Cottontail and he came charging in from 250 yards out and my buddy was my guest so I let him shoot him, he hit him and he jumped way up in the air and turned around and high tailed it out. I figured he was dead somewhere within a hundred yards or so and we walked all over the wood that night and next Sunday morning trying to find him with no luck.

Then tonight I started calling with Bay Bee Cottontail again and this wounded limping coyote comes at me, I dropped him at 165 yards out with the FLIR T-70.

T70%20Coyote.jpg

I had the DVR video recorder on but neglected to turn on the video output port, so had not video of the whole two minute kill. :cursing:

That SUX.....but I did take some video of him laying in the grass dead, about 9MB WMV file:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night Vision/FLIR T70/T70 Videos/Flir T70 Coyote.wmv

I'll see if I can get a pack up and howling tonight and maybe get a couple more live on video dying....

That is a good question and I don't have the answer, however I will talk to FLIR GS folks at the Shot Show about this and try to get some information and maybe get to compare the two on a firing range at night....

Presently, the T-70 cannot be retro'd for the 100mm. MSRP for the T75 will be $16,900.00. We are told we will have these by November/December time frame. Hope this helps.

Vic

The FOV on all the FLIR thermals is pretty damn good!

T-50 = 9.33H X 7V

T-60 = 7.0H X 14V

T-70 = 9.44H X 7.5V

T-75 = 9.44H X 7.5V

Last edited:
I will check these babies out at the Shot Show in the FLIR Government Services booth.

I can see a T-75 in my future too, these things are just so nice and easy to use and lightweight compared to my T-60 that it is a no-brainer.

Be sure to check out the FLIR Personal Vision Systems booth too as they are debuting a new weapon mounted thermal imaging scope at the Shot Show that sounds killer!

Went out tonight to try to take a couple of pics through the ACOG TA02 using the FLIR T-70 so you could see the sights.

It is a beautiful night out, temp about 50*F, full stars, no wind and low humidity.

After a long HOT HUMID summer, the FLIR worked beyond excellent, simply stunning thermal imagery.

So I start taking a couple of pics with my I-Phone through the ACOG:

BW%201X.jpg

RAIN%201X.jpg

Next thing I know a coyote shows up at 175 yards out while I have the I-Phone hooked up to the ACOG, so I took a short video of him before I disconnected the I-Phone and shot him:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night Vision/FLIR T70/T70 Coyote2/T70 Coyote.wmv

T70%20Coyote2a.jpg

Man, this FLIR T-70 is real real NICE!

Well now, this was awesome great!

The FLIR T-70 works like a charm.

I was calling coyotes in the backyard on my FoxPro Prairie Blaster when I heard my Arabian snorting in the horse pasture, so I walked around the barn and low and behold a sounder group was rooting around about 200 yards out from me!

So, I slowly walked up on them using the FLIR LS-64 for spotting and layed down on the ground and opened up on them (about 12 or so) from abot 100-125 yards out.

Three shots and three meaty hogs meet the butcher knife tonight!

T70%20Three%20Hogs.jpg

I had the video output hooked up the the mini DVR so will edit out a video later on....

I butchered out those hogs last night and did not get to bed until 2AM, but the Bald Eagles were on the entrails before I woke up this morning, also a flock of Osceola Turkeys in the backgound....

Eagles%20landing.jpg