• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Flush cup location

Tbag

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2009
FL
I'm getting ready to install flush cups, but the location of the rear side is in question. I've seen countless photos of different locations, with many being low of center. Some are in the central/center area, while a few others being a high of center. What is the best location and wouldn't all of these be almost useless with a stock pack?

If I was carring the rifle slung across my front and had a below center flush cup wouldn't the rifle want to roll due to the scope? Help decide on this location, please!

Re: Flush cup location

I recently installed some and put the rear one dead center on the side of the stock. After using it I think it would have been better to mount it higher as it does tend to roll a bit. I don't have a stock pack on it yet.

Matt I hear ya, as I couldn't see this being any different to a couple of AR's that I have with them attached in different locations. Bottom mount always seemed to roll the rifle, just didn't know what I was missing of the actually reason for that spot.

Glad you asked this as I am considering flush cups too. Where would you folks recommend they be installed on a stock with a cheekpiece? Specifically a McMillan Remington Hunter?

Thanks,

John

Rear left side (opposite of bolt) and one bottom rear of the stock. My side sling is located low on the stock and I carry the rifle double slung (biathalon style). No issues. If using only one sling, I use the bottom sling location.

I ordered a HTG from JW precision a while back, and with the stock pack on it completely covers the flush cup hole, so if you plan on using a stock pack than you might want to have it moved back further towards the butt pad, just saying.

Still thinking about this. If I had a flush cups on the side opposite the bolt, would the rear one interfere with head positioning if I needed to shoot with the sling on? Been many a time when I quickly unslung a rifle and killed an animal in a hurry with no opportunity to take the sling off...

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hondo64d</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still thinking about this. If I had a flush cups on the side opposite the bolt, would the rear one interfere with head positioning if I needed to shoot with the sling on? John </div></div>

Had never been an issue for me with my ar's that have rear mounted flush cups and the rifle slung in the front on the ready.

Besides the stock pack issue which most F/C's would likely be covered in some way, does anyone have a good reason to mount a cup on the bottom half of the rear stock. Just wondering if I am missing out on something as I've seen plenty of Manners and McM's done that way?

I too bought some flush cups and they where Beretta one cup is fine thread another is course. So how does one install them. I would think a drill bit of like size with depth control. And then use a fine thread tap on one and course tap on the other . After tapping a small amount of good glue jb weld or like. Any thoughts here guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tbag</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hondo64d</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still thinking about this. If I had a flush cups on the side opposite the bolt, would the rear one interfere with head positioning if I needed to shoot with the sling on? John </div></div>

Had never been an issue for me with my ar's that have rear mounted flush cups and the rifle slung in the front on the ready.

Besides the stock pack issue which most F/C's would likely be covered in some way, does anyone have a good reason to mount a cup on the bottom half of the rear stock. Just wondering if I am missing out on something as I've seen plenty of Manners and McM's done that way? </div></div>

I use an Eagle stock pack. It doesn't cover the flush cup (because it's low on the stock). Anything other than low and the side opposite the bolt will be covered by the stock pack.

My reasons for mounting F/C's on the bottom lower, left, rear of the stock were:

1) Carry biathalon style with two slings, bolt not sticking into my back
2) Carry with a single sling with nothing sticking down to catch on shooting rests
3) Clean when slings are off

All of the flush cup installations I have done have been 1 on the forend, and 1 on the buttstock, about level with the forend. If a stock pack is going to be used, I will throw an extra one on the bottom of the buttstock. However, the new school approach I have seen is to put one on the low side of the buttstock so that the stock pack can be used. I haven't done one of these yet, but so far, the one in the bottom of the buttstock works well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deergrizzly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree with tikkasporter </div></div>

Ok why?

I too have and use a biathalon sling and can see where the location for it wouldn't matter as much. Love that sling takes all the weight off. But a straight sling/2pt I could see the rifle flopping, even if it was TAB's new adjustable model.