• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

FN SPR 308 is this a good deal/gun

calebintn

Sergeant
Minuteman
I ran across this for $1500.00 bucks w/o scope. I'm looking for a good starter rifle but dont know anything about the winchester action. Please read the desciption below and advise me thanks

FN SPR line in .308 Winchester (7.62x51mm NATO). It has a pre-64 Winchester type action with claw extractor, Karsten Adjustable cheekpiece ($55 ), Controlled round feed, a three-position safety, a chrome lined 24" bull barrel, a Mil-Spec m1913 20moa rail with 8/40 screws McMillan A3 tactical stock, and the stock magazine was replaced with a CDI conversion to accept Accuracy International Magazines. This conversion is around $289 with one magazine and I have a 5rd plus a 10rd (an additional $80 ). Alittle over 200rds logged.

Re: FN SPR 308 is this a good deal/gun

Not too shabby with the bottom metal, 2 mags, and cheek piece.
FN SPR's are well liked on this forum by most...

I saw that listed on the local sale site. Not a bad deal.... I have a FN PBR and would love to upgrade it to the SPR.

good luck

FN's are great it won't dissapoint and if you ever want to rebarrel you have a great platform.

Boy have I got a deal for you guys..........anyone that's looking for a kick ass deal on a SPR should PM me!
grin.gif

Edit: I just got the call and it is back and will go up for sale/trade in the next day or two, I will pick it up tomorrow, but just so as not to type my fingers to death telling about it and then no interest because of the caliber, it is 300wsm, just so everyone knows, everyone's interested until that point
smirk.gif

I am just wandering if this gun is just a nice stock and bottom metal and only a decent rifle.
Can I spend $1500 on a model 700 and be better off?
The guy says that it has a .25 moa guarantee but I cant find it anywhere online.

.25 moa guarantee... um... not likely. I think FN's guarantee is more like 1 moa but they usually shoot better. Both of mine hover around 5/8 to 3/4 moa, have I seen half or better...sure... but not all of the time. If I start shooting past 500 yards, Im usually barely able to hang on to MOA. So the "Guarantee" is only as good as the driver in my eyes.

Shameless plug.....
I have one for sale as well, but in an A-5 stock instead of an A-3. PM me if your interested.

Well, it has better aftermarket support and enough gunsmiths to sink a ship with.

Other then, pick which one you like better. For $1,500 you can get a semi-custom Remington 700 without optics, kinda like the FN.

JMHO,
P.B.Walsh

.25 MOA guaranteed is too much to ask from a factory rifle. With good reloads, you can definitely get there at 200 yds, but I wouldn't expect it every time. I'd say that .50 - .75 MOA is more commensurate with the rifle if you are a decent shooter. My chamber is quite long; my lands are out to about 2.875", so you can seat those bullets out pretty long. Yes, the AICS mags can hold them. I like the rifle better than the standard R700, especially with the CDI bottom metal. The Mcm stock feels so much better than HS precision or B&C in my opinion. However, the FN mags are very sub par; the AICS mags make a world of difference, so you stumbled onto a very good deal. The standard base on the newer models is from Near Mfg, which is one of the best bases you can buy. I don't think you could ask much more from a factory rifle. It is my favorite rifle, and comes with me to the range on almost every trip.

do the fn you won't regret it plus you will be alittle different than most on here. think controlled round feed and more reliable extraction system plus a much easier to tune trigger and durable as all hell.

I picked up my FN Special Police, the predecessor to your SPR, with about 200 rounds from a left handed one-eyed FBI HTR hopeful who needed a dedicated left handed rifle (just kidding about the eye thing). It's my number one go-to gun, reliable, holds moa out to the farthest I've shot, 877 yards. The guy who got me into LR shooting was a former Vietnam sniper, and he thinks these rifles are superior to Remington standard issue rifles. You should enjoy it.

sounds like you need to get a Reminton. The FN might just be to much gun for you!!