• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

For the capable, experienced, non-combatant sportsman shooting steel or paper targets is there a significant objective reason to choose a $7K AI over

i've not had the privilege of shooting a sample of nice rifles as of yet....perhaps when the ranges reopen there might be an opportunity.

Just trying to gain some practical insight on what one gains or lacks with respect to these platform subsets.

very grateful for all the information. not trying to stir any pots. not sure how better to gain this information aside from asking.

Ai ergos aren't for everyone. If they feel good to you, its a badass rifle. If you hate the ergos, then it won't matter what barrel/action/trigger the ai is.

Ai ergos aren't for everyone. If they feel good to you, its a badass rifle. If you hate the ergos, then it won't matter what barrel/action/trigger the ai is.

That's my biggest gripe with AI's. Wonderful rifles, but really dislike the ergos and some of the design elements of the chassis. Also not the biggest fan of the trigger, but it's certainly something that I would be able to get used to.

Reactions: 6brshooter
That's my biggest gripe with AI's. Wonderful rifles, but really dislike the ergos and some of the design elements of the chassis. Also not the biggest fan of the trigger, but it's certainly something that I would be able to get used to.
I don’t mind the ergonomics.
I like the trigger but I definitely prefer the feel of some aftermarket triggers more than the AI.

20200219_072052.jpg

Just do a 'Merican ai. Badger 2013, ai chassis, and your preferred 700 trigger.

Thought I would chime in as well.

Much as I love my custom rifles which I have put together, there are some practical reasons to go with a factory setup.
So - not really addressing the cost part of the question - I am mostly addressing a company that makes a rifles as a system instead of a rifle built from assembled parts manufactured by different companies and designed to be more or less interchangeable. Like custom action based on Rem700 footprint.

The most practical reason in my mind is that something like an AI or Desert Tech etc. is that they have designed each component to function together as a system, and the engineering and design work were done with that specific system in mind. This means the likely hood of having fitment issues that can affect performance (as long as you stay within the design constraints) are much less.

In my Bighorn Arms action in an MPA chassis with a MOD22 X-treme shooting products trigger'd rifle - I do struggle with mag fitment issues, chassis bolts loosening and planning issues for a variety of things (like will the Tubbs T7 trigger fit?).

With an AI AT for the same price, the chassis and receiver fit is a non-issue. There is a extremely low likelihood my action bolts will loosen and I have no question that my trigger will fit (say I want to upgrade to the new AI Target trigger).

In my mind the biggest reason to go the route of a entire factory platform is this concept of a system designed approach. Sure it has downsides - but this is the positive side of this approach over say an MPA which is assembled from a variety of parts.

Reactions: BikePilot
Some other factory rifles I think are pretty nice:
AI AT
AI AX (or new variant)
KRG SOTIC - I was pretty impressed with this rifle.
Desert Tech SRS-A2 or A1

Most of the above are going to run in the $3500-$4500 range, except for the AX.

Reactions: DJL2
I have been following this thread with great interest. Seems what may have gotten lost in the discussion is the simple fact BECAUSE I WANTED IT. Have one AIAX and two McMillans hanging on the wall as well as production and custom guns. Why because you get a really warm fuzzy when you engage at 1000 2500 meters or shooting 0.25 MOA groups Regardless of the selected tool it’s the lose nut behind the trigger that really makes the difference. Yes I’ve had my but busted at a PRS completion by a little girl with a 6.5 CM

Attachments

• B4EDDC9D-5A99-4299-A267-5CF957EE679E.jpeg
    B4EDDC9D-5A99-4299-A267-5CF957EE679E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Depends on what you want. A package you can switch calibers relatively quickly? Or rather own 2 guns instead? It’s probably one of those things if you need it, you know you need it. Like you said, jumping out of planes to hunt people, you know you need it. Wanting a nice rifle but really only shoot here and there for leisure? Probably don’t need it, but doesn’t mean you can’t want it!

Competed with a Rem 700 with an AICS my first year in PRS shooting .308. Bit the bullet and got an AI AT in 6.5 Creedmore (Under $4K new from Eurooptic) and have found it to be an awesome shooting platform. Now on my second 6mm Creedmore barrel on the same gun and it’s still a Sub-MOA tackdriver. Plan on putting my .308 barrel on it and competing in tactical for the winter PRS season. Could have gone with an MPA, or any number of other “cheaper” rifles and likely would have seen similar scores in PRS. I was looking for a reliable and versatile rifle and the AI AT was every bit worth the price. (There is something to be said for a 1 minute barrel change!)

An AI rifle is not an F-Class rifle! OK for PRS stuff. Git a Defiance Rebel single shot action ( $1400). A Bartlien or Krieger Heavy Palma barrel ( $375).
A McMillan Adj prone stock ($750.00). Have someone put it together for you ( Chad at LRI) your into it less than $3500.00 Add a Night force 15-55 scope ($2000-2500.00) your into it for $6000.00 go buy $1000 worth of Brass, bullets and powder. Your at $7k and ready to shoot.

Thanks everyone...I really appreciate all the information...so much so that reality and responsibility has finally set in. I'm no athlete and well beyond my prime.

It appears my wants exceeded my needs....I'm going to make my rifle work for me as best i can and use the money for classes, practice and reloading components.

I did learn a lot from the responses, thanks for taking the time to help.

Buy a used AI for 4k and spend 3k on ammo and training. Battle proven precision rifles give extra peace of mind regarding reliability when it comes time to shoot blue steel, etc.
In the end AI is nice but there are other rifles that can do the same job, get what you can comfortably afford and practice with it.

Look for a custom built rifle using an awesome action/trigger/ barrel assembled by one of the best smiths using an AI AX Chassis. I find they shoot better than factory AI’s for the same or sometimes less money

An AI rifle is not an F-Class rifle! OK for PRS stuff. Git a Defiance Rebel single shot action ( $1400). A Bartlien or Krieger Heavy Palma barrel ( $375).
A McMillan Adj prone stock ($750.00). Have someone put it together for you ( Chad at LRI) your into it less than $3500.00 Add a Night force 15-55 scope ($2000-2500.00) your into it for $6000.00 go buy $1000 worth of Brass, bullets and powder. Your at $7k and ready to shoot.

Lol I shoot my axmc in f class all the time... Really pisses the NRA guys off

For the capable, experienced, non-combatant sportsman shooting steel or paper targets is there a significant objective reason to choose a $7K AI over a $2.5KMPA or similar rifle?

With respect to the average enthusiast/sportsman, from a very practical, logical (non emotional or prejudicial) perspective, is there a significant reason to purchase a premium priced sniper brand rifle (i.e. AI, Barret) over a $2-$3k stock, DIY or semi-custom platform. My gut feeling is both can be made to fit/conform comfortably. It sounds like they're both pretty reliable, durable and accurate. I can't imagine it's just the cool factor...can it?

Not trying to stir the pot or prejudice and certainly not trying to denigrate any particular product or brand....just trying to identify what the objective reasons one would note for choosing one over the other.

I absolutely understand if you’re jumping out of airplanes to hunt down the enemy a military rifle has certain very credible, distinct and logistical advantages.

I also understand that in general a Ferrari is a much better and complex engineered tool than a Pinto not only because it costs more and is prettier but also in it’s capabilities. Different tools for different jobs etc.

Just trying to learn and figure out which way to go. thanks

Well, first of all (no disrespect) a $2,000/custom rifle is NOT a Pinto. $2,000 is usually gonna get you a pretty awesome rifle. Now, if you, as a sportsman/target shooter, can find or appreciate the need for a rifle that has quick barrel change/caliber change capability, built like a tank, folding stock, accuracy that exceeds your capability (in my case, around 1/4 MOA with off the shelf ammo), and drops a status symbol on the range like frickin Thor's hammer then save the extra loot and get the AI! Otherwise, most 1/4moa-1/2 moa guns do the rest just as well. I'll go one further and say get one from the crew at Mile High. You will never get better customer service for ANYTHING in your life. In addition to that; you'll meet some people that will help you "grow" into your rifle. If you drop that kind of loot on a rifle though, don't show up to the range blasting 2 moa groups. On second thought, don't do that with a $2,000 rifle either! Gross analogy.....Fast and Furious: Customized Honda Civic vs Ferrari. Often enough, it's the driver that makes the difference. Outside of that, there is some math to be exercised. If you shoot a lot, you will have to change barrels. Pros (not me) sometimes do this every 2,000 rounds. This is more often the case in high velocity guns. This is "user level" maintenance with an AI. Purchase the barrel, swap it yourself, keep shooting. How much you gonna pay and how often with any other rifle? Over the long haul, might be worth it to buy the more expensive rifle.
Lastly, don't forget the "cool" factor. Too many people will try to shame somebody on this front. Think about this, If it's not "cool" to YOU, you are less likely to train with it. If you don't train with YOUR rifle, by orders of magnitude, you will be less effective with it (no matter it's purpose).
Keep this in mind too, if you get in over your head with a $7,000 rifle, this is a great community that will help you grow! Take care.

VR

Reactions: TangoSierra916
Should have mentioned 2014. He'd rather have an at over that one, not that there's anything wrong with it, just no qd barrel or improved buttstock.
If he’s still looking then he needs to spend more time refreshing the EuroOptic demo page.

All you folks talking shit about Pintos. In 1987, I spent $225 on a 1976 Pinto wagon and drove it for a year and 18,000 miles. I think I spent more on retreads for the front because it was rusted together and you couldn't do an alignment. I sold it to someone for $150 because we had a dealer here in Norfolk offering $1000 trade on for any car you could drive on to the lot.

Let me say this for the Pinto drivers.. Its definitely how you drive the car..

Nothing is more embarrassing then the eyeballs you get from veteran shooters when you show up at a match with a nice pretty AI and get a 0 or a DQ even from not being able to hit steel. I know this feeling from experience.... Even when I could shoot it, there was always guys with plane jane remingtons and Savages making my scores look bad.

Still you can justify the price if you shoot different calibers.. The price of two $2500 custom rifles and two scopes can be the same if not more money then an AI with two barrels and one scope........

OR even yet another route thanks to this community: get a USED AI and SCOPE here and come out saving money. Mile High has several Demo AX rifles that could pass for new.

I never understood this argument about how you would feel embarrassed with an AI being outshot by a guy with a budget rifle. Using the car analogy, is an average driver with deep pockets supposed to be embarrassed rolling around in his Ferrari when some guy with great driving skills pulls up next to him in a Honda Civic? If you got the $, you deserve to shoot that AI just as much as anyone else.

I’ll post a pic of one of my most accurate, reliable guns for the last 5 years and one of the guns I’ll never let go,

yup it’s a Savage.
You wouldn't happen to have a build list you could send me? Not looking to copy it but looking for a few ideas. I have a .300 Win Mag I'm looking at doing as a switch barrel in a Palma stock.

I never understood this argument about how you would feel embarrassed with an AI being outshot by a guy with a budget rifle. Using the car analogy, is an average driver with deep pockets supposed to be embarrassed rolling around in his Ferrari when some guy with great driving skills pulls up next to him in a Honda Civic? If you got the $, you deserve to shoot that AI just as much as anyone else.
Have you not met dudes? Our people are some of the most insecure creatures to ever exist, so it’s only expected that some would feel embarrassed because they were out shot by another with a Walmart hunting rifle. It’s the Indian, not the arrow...and too many dudes think that their arrows make them better than others. If it weren’t for insecure dudes, you wouldn’t have the privilege of seeing so many massive white Ford trucks driving around with terrorist hunting permit stickers.

Buy what fits your needs and desires, invest in quality training, and enjoy it. Doesn’t matter if you come in dead last every single match or never shoot past 100yds. As long as you’re enjoying what you’re doing, that’s all that matters.

You wouldn't happen to have a build list you could send me? Not looking to copy it but looking for a few ideas. I have a .300 Win Mag I'm looking at doing as a switch barrel in a Palma stock.

PM sent

I hope to participate in both F class as well as occasional PRS type shooting...both on a very local level....and of course just fun shooting prone with friends at the local range. 6.5x47L or 6.5 Creedmoor type calibers.

If you want to be competitive in F/Open (which is where 6.5 anything will be), you will need a rifle that is absolutely unsuitable to PRS style competition.

If you want to be competitive in PRS style competition, you will need a rifle that is not competitive at all in F/Open.

Doesn't matter how much skill you have. The equipment demands of both sports are just too far apart.

I'm telling you this so that you go in with both eyes open and are not disappointed by your handicap either way you go.

Reactions: Newbie2020
Thought I would chime in as well.

Much as I love my custom rifles which I have put together, there are some practical reasons to go with a factory setup.
So - not really addressing the cost part of the question - I am mostly addressing a company that makes a rifles as a system instead of a rifle built from assembled parts manufactured by different companies and designed to be more or less interchangeable. Like custom action based on Rem700 footprint.

The most practical reason in my mind is that something like an AI or Desert Tech etc. is that they have designed each component to function together as a system, and the engineering and design work were done with that specific system in mind. This means the likely hood of having fitment issues that can affect performance (as long as you stay within the design constraints) are much less.

In my Bighorn Arms action in an MPA chassis with a MOD22 X-treme shooting products trigger'd rifle - I do struggle with mag fitment issues, chassis bolts loosening and planning issues for a variety of things (like will the Tubbs T7 trigger fit?).

With an AI AT for the same price, the chassis and receiver fit is a non-issue. There is a extremely low likelihood my action bolts will loosen and I have no question that my trigger will fit (say I want to upgrade to the new AI Target trigger).

In my mind the biggest reason to go the route of a entire factory platform is this concept of a system designed approach. Sure it has downsides - but this is the positive side of this approach over say an MPA which is assembled from a variety of parts.

I bought an AX yesterday and this is primarily why, along with the “I just wanted it” factor. I’m sure it’s possible to put together a great shooting package for less, but with this it is all ready to go and should work without any fussing about. Chances are if I ever were to sell it I’d get the premium over a custom back anyway. But mostly I just wanted it and that elite sand color is dead sexy.

Reactions: Vargmat and BuLLet
congratulations on the AX....they look awesome....can't wait to hear how it shoots. what caliber did you choose?

So your saying someone has to own a high end stick to win,

Go to F Class nationals, or USA F class team selection, with your beater POS and show em how it's done.

Make sure to post pics of yourself with the national trophy and your Team USA jersey so we know you git er done.

Lol I shoot my axmc in f class all the time... Really pisses the NRA guys off

Not sure why it would. Just unscrew the brake or get put off at the end of the line where the blast isn't going to smack people on the head all day long.

Not sure why it would. Just unscrew the brake or get put off at the end of the line where the blast isn't going to smack people on the head all day long.

It's because I shoot it suppressed .........annnnnd don't care my score doesnt count for record...seems to really really annoy some of the NRA die hards

Sexy and Shinny! :)

I bought an AX yesterday and this is primarily why, along with the “I just wanted it” factor. I’m sure it’s possible to put together a great shooting package for less, but with this it is all ready to go and should work without any fussing about. Chances are if I ever were to sell it I’d get the premium over a custom back anyway. But mostly I just wanted it and that elite sand color is dead sexy.

All you folks talking shit about Pintos. In 1987, I spent $225 on a 1976 Pinto wagon and drove it for a year and 18,000 miles. I think I spent more on retreads for the front because it was rusted together and you couldn't do an alignment. I sold it to someone for $150 because we had a dealer here in Norfolk offering $1000 trade on for any car you could drive on to the lot.

Mr. Sensitive.

Both MileHigh and EuroOptic are selling new AX packages for $7999 including a premium scope and mount. Friend bought one at Milehigh last friday included Spuhr mount.

Both MileHigh and EuroOptic are selling new AX packages for $7999 including a premium scope and mount. Friend bought one at Milehigh last friday included Spuhr mount.
Yep it's an awesome deal. I picked one up at MH yesterday. Great people and great package. I think you have your choice of ZCO, Kahles, or NF optics along with the Spuhr mount for that deal. I liked the ZCO best.

I know people that have been trying to buy points with lots of cash that never understood the basic points of achieving a tight group. It helps to have a well made rifle, but it also needs to marry the magazine and ammo. You must either tune to barrel length to the ammo or load the right ammo to marry the weapon. I shot a four inch group with iron sights on a N/M M-14 with match army ammo out to 800 meters. It helps to shoot well too. paper is for accuracy and metal for plinking?

Might as well get the AI. If you don’t, you will always wonder and keep changing things around until you eventually do. Might as well get it over with and find out.

Euro Optic demo AXs are a very good deal. Mine was unfired and in similar condition to any other new rifle I have bought.

I know people that have been trying to buy points with lots of cash that never understood the basic points of achieving a tight group. It helps to have a well made rifle, but it also needs to marry the magazine and ammo. You must either tune to barrel length to the ammo or load the right ammo to marry the weapon. I shot a four inch group with iron sights on a N/M M-14 with match army ammo out to 800 meters. It helps to shoot well too. paper is for accuracy and metal for plinking?

The rest of your post is a string of platitudes, but the bolded above is extremely impressive.