• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: Form 4 wait time

this will probably torque some of you off but I just sold my full-auto AR15 and M60 here on the hide. The former went to OK, the latter to TX. Both were on form 4 in TN.

Both took 30 days. (got the m60 stamp today. the AR15 transfered in November)

I sold the M60 at a gas station near Dallas on my way to Lone Star
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=251884&Number=2916706

I also just bought another TBAC 30p-1 from Zak and a mini-brevis from 762. Hopefully the examiners from those states are as squared away as TN's.

and i'm submitting a form 1 to SBR a new lower. will be interesting to see how long that takes

Pending: July 8th
Approved: December 21
Examiner : Ann Feltner
Mine had to be returned. I forgot to sign something.

This is all very depressing, but I suppose motivation enough to start the purchase process now so that maybe I can use it by the fall. Hell, might as well buy two NFA items now since I'll apparently have 180+ days to make the money back before the wife notices!

Sometimes knowing that the stamps are approved can wear on you as well. I have two TBACs approved on 12/20/11 and I am still waiting for the call stating the stamps are here, come and get your cans and stamps. 18 days and counting? ??

oneshot.onehit

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AkosPrime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is all very depressing, but I suppose motivation enough to start the purchase process now so that maybe I can use it by the fall. Hell, might as well buy two NFA items now since I'll apparently have 180+ days to make the money back before the wife notices! </div></div>

Now THAT is planning at its finest. Execute!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AkosPrime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is all very depressing, but I suppose motivation enough to start the purchase process now so that maybe I can use it by the fall. Hell, might as well buy two NFA items now since I'll apparently have 180+ days to make the money back before the wife notices! </div></div>

That's what I did. Got a TBAC 30p-1 and a Sincerco SS Sparrow hopefully approved soon. Now that I think of it I should have done a .223 can and a SBR as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C Ward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talking with TBAC the other day and dealer to dealer is 45 plus days now , waiting on my 338BA to ship , and the local dealer said form 4's are at 6 months or longer . Going to keep getting worse since 2 examiners left and the rumor is there are no plans to replace them . </div></div>

has anyone ever done any research as to how we could try and get the gov to hire more examiners? who could we pester with phone calls? or hand a petition too? anything of that sort?

Ya know, that is what you call planning! I have the $$ for my current Can that is awaiting delivery to my dealer. Maybe I can smooch him into getting a .22 can, and make monthly payments until the Stamps get back to him
smile.gif
2 for the price of one wait! Love it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know who the Examiner is that takes care of Florida?

Thx</div></div>

Should be Albert Lamberger

TY
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Varmint Slayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone know who the Examiner is that takes care of Florida?

Thx</div></div>

Should be Albert Lamberger
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Intrepid4576</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C Ward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talking with TBAC the other day and dealer to dealer is 45 plus days now , waiting on my 338BA to ship , and the local dealer said form 4's are at 6 months or longer . Going to keep getting worse since 2 examiners left and the rumor is there are no plans to replace them . </div></div>

has anyone ever done any research as to how we could try and get the gov to hire more examiners? who could we pester with phone calls? or hand a petition too? anything of that sort? </div></div>

My guess is our government is so inept they will find they loose money for the $200 dollar tax stamp with the time and effort they put into it. Just my guess but I think if we push and dig and fight we are much more likely to add another $200-$500 to the cost with no faster service. Its is the government bureaucracy BS way. I am happy to deal with it because I figure with a little help from our government they can always make it much worse. Just my two bs cents. PG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roadwild17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im new to the nfa waiting game, but how do you know when it is pending? </div></div>

You call and ask. They'll give you the date it went pending.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roadwild17</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im new to the nfa waiting game, but how do you know when it is pending?</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bigrich20</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeauxJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there anyway I can check the status of my form 4?</div></div> Yes u can call the the nfa at (304) 616-4500. You will have to have your serial number!</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Intrepid4576</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C Ward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talking with TBAC the other day and dealer to dealer is 45 plus days now , waiting on my 338BA to ship , and the local dealer said form 4's are at 6 months or longer . Going to keep getting worse since 2 examiners left and the rumor is there are no plans to replace them . </div></div>

has anyone ever done any research as to how we could try and get the gov to hire more examiners? who could we pester with phone calls? or hand a petition too? anything of that sort? </div></div>

My guess is our government is so inept they will find they loose money for the $200 dollar tax stamp with the time and effort they put into it. Just my guess but I think if we push and dig and fight we are much more likely to add another $200-$500 to the cost with no faster service. Its is the government bureaucracy BS way. I am happy to deal with it because I figure with a little help from our government they can always make it much worse. Just my two bs cents. PG </div></div>

that is a decent point that i could see becoming the truth....

##%$# HOLY SHIT %#$@#

My form went pending December 26 and she is telling me 5-6 months.

NFA Item: SWR Spectre
Form 4
Forms sent: 07/01/2011
Check Cashed: Money Order sent (so instant)
Pending: July 28th
Approved: 1/02/12
Stamp Received: 1/10/12
Item in hand: 1/10/12
Examiner: Jason Bowers

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DeauxJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">##%$# HOLY SHIT %#$@#

My form went pending December 26 and she is telling me 5-6 months.</div></div>

Mine took 5 months after it went pending...

Guess I better start the process in the next week if I want to see the damn thing by July 4th...

Sent my papers in back in july, went pending Aug 3rd. Called today and still pending.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Whiteshark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sent my papers in back in july, went pending Aug 3rd. Called today and still pending. </div></div>

Same here. I have 3 that went pending Aug. 3rd. Still waiting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Whiteshark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sent my papers in back in july, went pending Aug 3rd. Called today and still pending. </div></div>

Who is your examiner? should be any time now according to the tracker. They are approving Aug stuff now

You have inspired me.. (1) 7.62 Can, (1) 22LR Can, and one lower for an SBR. Might as well get them done now

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya know, that is what you call planning! I have the $$ for my current Can that is awaiting delivery to my dealer. Maybe I can smooch him into getting a .22 can, and make monthly payments until the Stamps get back to him
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AkosPrime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is all very depressing, but I suppose motivation enough to start the purchase process now so that maybe I can use it by the fall. Hell, might as well buy two NFA items now since I'll apparently have 180+ days to make the money back before the wife notices! </div></div> </div></div>

Cool! I'm working with Scott (aka 'SilencedAmerica') now to get the ball rolling on my two suppressors. Figure in addition to the Form 4 wait time, I also have to account for the Form 3 wait time for the suppressors to get from him to my local dealer. I'm not sure I'm cut out for delayed gratification, but we'll find out I suppose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have inspired me.. (1) 7.62 Can, (1) 22LR Can, and one lower for an SBR. Might as well get them done now

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya know, that is what you call planning! I have the $$ for my current Can that is awaiting delivery to my dealer. Maybe I can smooch him into getting a .22 can, and make monthly payments until the Stamps get back to him
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AkosPrime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is all very depressing, but I suppose motivation enough to start the purchase process now so that maybe I can use it by the fall. Hell, might as well buy two NFA items now since I'll apparently have 180+ days to make the money back before the wife notices! </div></div> </div></div> </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AkosPrime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool! I'm working with Scott (aka 'SilencedAmerica') now to get the ball rolling on my two suppressors. Figure in addition to the Form 4 wait time, I also have to account for the Form 3 wait time for the suppressors to get from him to my local dealer. I'm not sure I'm cut out for delayed gratification, but we'll find out I suppose.
</div></div>

You're in good hands, do the paperwork, and go find something to do for a while.

Serbu SS

Sent 7/7
Pending 8/1
Approved 12/21/11

still waiting for the form to come in...

Do you have to pay for a can first, then do the form-4 wait thing, or could I start all the paper/form waiting crap now and by the time it's done, I'll have the money for the can? It'll take me six months to save the dough, then another six for the forms? Seems not worth it to me?

Pay for product, file paperwork+pay tax stamp, pick up item when approved.

And yes in that order. Most dealers want you to pay for it before they send off paperwork.

The dealer MUST have the Can in his possession before you can send your paper work in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have to pay for a can first, then do the form-4 wait thing, or could I start all the paper/form waiting crap now and by the time it's done, I'll have the money for the can? It'll take me six months to save the dough, then another six for the forms? Seems not worth it to me? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have to pay for a can first, then do the form-4 wait thing, or could I start all the paper/form waiting crap now and by the time it's done, I'll have the money for the can? It'll take me six months to save the dough, then another six for the forms? Seems not worth it to me? </div></div>

Look at it like this. If the later was the way its done, then dealer "x" would have to sit on can "y" for 4-6 months, waiting on payment. You first find the can you want, from a dealer that has it in stock (silencedamerica.com), pay agreed price to dealer, initiate FORM 4 process with $200 tax per item to ATF. Now, having said that, you should decide if you're giong the individual or Trust/LLC route, before you even get to "execution" phase of purchasing the item from dealer.

Really not sure who the examiner is this time round, One i received back in '09' was albert. Now that they changed states did not ask. I have been on the tracker site and did see they were approving Aug. Totally ruined my day when i called, Anyone know who is the examier for Indiana???

They pass them around. depends o who has the least workload.
Mine is supposed to be shipman according to the restructure but it is with fourshure.

Dana Pickles was assigned to my state and I've had his signatures for the past 5 months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jackalope33B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Out of curiosity, has anyone NOT been approved for a NFA item? If so, does the dealer give you back your $$?</div></div>

From what I understand, if you are not approved and will never be approved, you are out the $200 fee. Now, you might not receive approval due to an error in the paperwork, but the BATFE will send the forms back to you so you can correct them, and then you send them back to the BATFE where it will continue it's journey towards approval.

As far as getting your money back on the item, I think it would be up to the dealer. I doubt that most will. I mean, you bought the item, it's yours. They're just holding it for you until the paperwork comes back. If your paperwork comes back unapproved, then I think you would have to sell the item to an individual and have your local dealer transfer it. Again, I think it's all up to the dealer on that one.

I live in MI and I'm getting ready to submit my first Form 4. I want to do it right and I have a couple questions I couldnt find through a search:
- If I have to submit 2 copies of the application, are original signatures required on both copies?
- The ATF website instructions on the page to download the PDF file says: (Form 4) — Application For Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm

(After you download the application, <span style="font-weight: bold">please photocopy the front and back of the application to one sheet of paper. The National Firearms Act Branch will not accept the application if the front and back are submitted on separate pages</span>.)

- FD-258 fingerprint form; it looks like there are some boxes that are left blank. From searching here on SH, it looks like all that is required is signature, address, full name, DOB, citizenship and SS#. The box for employer address and reason fingerprinted are left blank??

IF you have the option in MI to do an NFA Trust, I'd highly advise doing so. Less hoops to jump. You can find sample trusts that work well and tailor one to your needs, or look for a (gag, cough, choke) Lawyer (spit spit) who won't screw you too badly on fees for showing you how to use a boilerplate trust with their imprimatur.

No prints, no photos, and they used to take less time for NFA to process, at least until your state (and a few more?) got on this bandwagon.

Do this before Texas changes their hunting laws.

FWIW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jumper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live in MI and I'm getting ready to submit my first Form 4. I want to do it right and I have a couple questions I couldnt find through a search:
- If I have to submit 2 copies of the application, are original signatures required on both copies?
- The ATF website instructions on the page to download the PDF file says: (Form 4) — Application For Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm

(After you download the application, <span style="font-weight: bold">please photocopy the front and back of the application to one sheet of paper. The National Firearms Act Branch will not accept the application if the front and back are submitted on separate pages</span>.)

- FD-258 fingerprint form; it looks like there are some boxes that are left blank. From searching here on SH, it looks like all that is required is signature, address, full name, DOB, citizenship and SS#. The box for employer address and reason fingerprinted are left blank??
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TBannister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sent two form 4s off today! </div></div>

Come on T tell us what you bought? Good luck on a speedy return! We all need it. PG

Finally... 5 months later

NFA Item: SBR
Form Type: Form 1
Transfer Type: Trust
Forms Sent: 07-20-11
Forms Received: 07-22-11
Pending Date: 08-10-11
Approved: 01-06-12
Received: 01-12-12
Examiner:Sara Jones

Normbal - thanks but for now I'll do it the old fashioned way.

Can anyone who has got a Form 4 approved comment on the fingerprint card and whether or not you copied the form 4 onto 1 sheet of paper front and back?

when i submitted my form 4's you printed the complete form on both sides, not 2 seperate sheets. On the finger print cards employer address and reason fingerprinted, i put the police dept address and had the officer sign it. for the reason i put nfa tax

it was approved several times so it should be g2g

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jumper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I live in MI and I'm getting ready to submit my first Form 4. I want to do it right and I have a couple questions I couldnt find through a search:

</div></div>

So where in the hell is your dealer, did he not fill out your paperwork and tell you what you needed and where to sign? He sounds like a real jerk. The guys here look like they have you taken care of. However I wouldn't buy another thing from your SOT if I were you and have another choice.

It's really sad some dealer have to be that way.

My dealer is a good guy. He filled everything out for me on the Form 4 and printed out and signed 4 copies. He gave me 3 fingerprint cards with the ATF stamp. It wasn't until I started researching that I thought of a few things to ask; i.e., the "reason fingerprinted" box on the FD-258. Suppressors were just recently authorized here in MI so everybody is on a bit of a learning curve. Up until yesterday my CLEO had never signed/seen a Form 4.