• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

You can see the bunch in the June - July timeframe, the sprinkling up the slope seem to be from batch approvals, and were there before the June - July weirdness started. As far as I can tell, the leading edge of "normal" individual F4 approvals is in the early to mid-Feb timeframe.

Last edited:
There seem to be confirmed sources saying multiple things.

I called on Friday to check the status of a late May individual F4 form (still pending), while I was on I asked the person at the NFA branch what the deal was with these June and July approvals, whether there was a new process being applied or what. I expected to get blown off, but after a little hemming and hawing, she basically said that there was no new process, there was a pull from later in the stack, with the intent to bring down average wait times.

I figured it might be something like that, but didn't really expect anyone to admit it as it's more or less cheating to show better numbers for a key metric they are reporting up. Of course, I'm sure it wasn't the call of the lady answering the phone, she's just stuck between management and tax payers trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

Now that sounds plausible. Grab the middle of the stack to fudge the KPI's to get the bosses off there ass.

Well that's the second can. First was his july 13th can and this was is mid February one.

Both individual. I submitted 2 single trusts in early August so well see if it continues

My LGS got 3 in today from July 2nd. Approved on Oct. 8th, received today. Two were Silencerco BOGO cans. All were Individuals.

Family Trust, check cashed 12/5/18.... the wait continues but soon hopefully?

Five cans were purchased on the same day 6/20/19. Check cashed on 7/8/19.

Two of the cans were approved on 10/4/19 and available for pick up on 10/15/19.

So that was less than three months from check cashed to approval for two of the five cans.

• Wow
Reactions: Cody S
2 Cans, Trust, 1 RP

Checks cashed 11/8/18

Approved 10/8/19

Waiting on dealer to receive stamps.

Still have 2 in-process which are probably 2 months behind.

I got lucky

Form 4 Individual suppressor
submitted 7/3/2019
Check cashed 7/11/2019
Approved 9/15/2019
Dealer recieved form 10/14/2019

This was my only form in the pipeline.

Five cans were purchased on the same day 6/20/19. Check cashed on 7/8/19.

Two of the cans were approved on 10/4/19 and available for pick up on 10/15/19.

So that was less than three months from check cashed to approval for two of the five cans.

i know its been said a million times over but this right here makes NO SENSE. if they were all submitted at the same time, they should have all come back at the same time.

its like they do this shit on purpose... :rolleyes:

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
i know its been said a million times over but this right here makes NO SENSE. if they were all submitted at the same time, they should have all come back at the same time.

its like they do this shit on purpose... :rolleyes:

I agree with you but here's my theory on this purchase.

I'm guessing that the examiner was going through my paperwork at the end of the day. The examiner got through two of the five cans before quitting time.

The paperwork done on the two cans; everything was put in the mailbox at the end of the day.

Hopefully, I'll get the tax stamps for the other three cans within a few days. Otherwise, yes, this is a really screwed up process.

Form 4 individual on a suppressor

purchased 7/23/19
Call from dealer 10/16/19

Yes that’s 85 days from purchase to stamp at dealer!!! Nuts

I’m also sorry for those still on long wait.

Has anyone here submitted a trust in the timeframe were seeing the 90 days come back?

Form 4 Trust - 1RP
Pending - 11/15/18
Approved - 10/10/19

Now waiting on stamp to show up.

Give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. I did 2 on august 12th so would be very interesting.

Learned some interesting things today straight from atf.
called into check on the status of my forum 4 trust that is now pending for 13 months. I have checked in since it was about 9 months every few weeks just to see where I was at. Each time I got the same response. Still pending not assigned to examiner.
This time was different. I asked the status and they said still pending. I asked why many people have received back approved form 4’s after only a few months. She replied by telling me that they draw randomly from the form 4 pile and that’s the reason some have been going through quickly. She soon assured me I would be soon because I have been waiting so long. I asked, So if I understand correctly there is no order to assign to examiners by date submitted it’s al random. She confirmed this. So I replied again, if this is a random process, I could be waiting 4-5 years for my form to be randomly drawn from the ever expanding pile? She said, well it shouldn’t take that long. She said I could speak to a supervisor because mine has gone so long. She transferred me to the supervisor who went straight to voicemail. This organization needs to go away. They have no business governing anything, let alone firearms. Even a 6th grader can understand first come first serve. I’m at a loss for how disorganized this really is.

I feel like it shouldn't matter especially if it's a single person trust

I feel like it shouldn't matter especially if it's a single person trust
I know it's a messed up system. But that's what happens when you let the government run things. I feel like with the trust they dont just have to research the individual but always have to look over the trust which probably takes longer.

I am not really surprised at this point. It seems like they just skipped over September 2018 and went on with life like there was never any submissions at all that month. There are August approvals, there are October approvals.... but it dont seem like there is shit for September approvals.

Reactions: LeftyJason
I am not really surprised at this point. It seems like they just skipped over September 2018 and went on with life like there was never any submissions at all that month. There are August approvals, there are October approvals.... but it dont seem like there is shit for September approvals.
Yup! Still no idea why....very unhappy.

Brother-in-law and I both bought suppressors on 02/15/19 and paperwork was mailed same day. His was individual and mine was trust with 2 RPs.

Lets see who wins. Although none of us are really winning with this process.

Called yet again today and it was finally approved yesterday, ~410 days Form 4 Trust
That is insanity. Glad it finally got through for ya. I have multiple in jail ranging from May 2019 to October of 2019. All are “pending” all single shot trust

Yup! Still no idea why....very unhappy.

Well, after working in govt. for 34 years, the last 28 in supervisory positions, I say it's about time to start rattling cages. I'd call back EVERY day, asking to talk to a supervisor. If I was forced to leave a voice mail that wasn't returned ( and I've never had a ATF supervisor return a voice message ), I'd very politely demand to talk to HIS supervisor. Get their email address and ( again, politely ) burn it up. I'd keep going up the food chain until a supervisory SOMEONE talked to me personally. It's also time to involve your congressperson's and senator's offices. Make NOISE !! A lot of it. Be ( politely, but firmly ) demanding. Be a pain in their rear until someone provides some sort of acceptable service. This has worked several times for me and some associates. Takes your time, but it works ( and actually becomes somewhat fun ).

Reactions: Gtscotty
Well, after working in govt. for 34 years, the last 28 in supervisory positions, I say it's about time to start rattling cages. I'd call back EVERY day, asking to talk to a supervisor. If I was forced to leave a voice mail that wasn't returned ( and I've never had a ATF supervisor return a voice message ), I'd very politely demand to talk to HIS supervisor. Get their email address and ( again, politely ) burn it up. I'd keep going up the food chain until a supervisory SOMEONE talked to me personally. It's also time to involve your congressperson's and senator's offices. Make NOISE !! A lot of it. Be ( politely, but firmly ) demanding. Be a pain in their rear until someone provides some sort of acceptable service. This has worked several times for me and some associates. Takes your time, but it works ( and actually becomes somewhat fun ).
Good call on keep moving up. I will continue to call back till I get some answers.

I got a surprise phone call a few days ago. I purchased the suppressor on 3-15-19 and my paperwork came back 10-15-19. Picked up my can yesterday. 5 months earlier than I was expecting. I thought that it might even take longer than a year. I originally bought a cb mount and then decided I wanted direct thread after the form had already been submitted. The dealer said he needed to request a serial number change. I figured that was going to screw me. When I picked up the can I said boy that was way faster than I expected. She said they were starting to come back faster and were told it would be 120 day turn around here pretty soon. To that she said “ we’ll see”

Has anyone here submitted a trust in the timeframe were seeing the 90 days come back?

There's no way. A trust has to be read by someone who has half a clue, they aren't going to assume it's valid. Might be cool if they did pre-vet the common ones like the single shot trust but that's too clever for government.

I also think they just want to encourage everyone to come clean and pony up your pictures and fingerprints each time. They traded CLEO approval for more fingerprints and pictures, i.e. your personal info in their databases.

Of course I'll be happy to be wrong about this. I have a can waiting on a single shot trust since June. I fully expect it to be next May before it's approved.

-Stooxie

There's no way. A trust has to be read by someone who has half a clue, they aren't going to assume it's valid. Might be cool if they did pre-vet the common ones like the single shot trust but that's too clever for government.

I also think they just want to encourage everyone to come clean and pony up your pictures and fingerprints each time. They traded CLEO approval for more fingerprints and pictures, i.e. your personal info in their databases.

Of course I'll be happy to be wrong about this. I have a can waiting on a single shot trust since June. I fully expect it to be next May before it's approved.

-Stooxie
You still have to have pictures and prints on a trust....

I read it as, they got rid of the cleo sign off to encourage more people to go individual so they could get more prints and pictures.

I read it as, they got rid of the cleo sign off to encourage more people to go individual so they could get more prints and pictures.
I read it as they removed the cleo approval requirement for a simple notification form in order to drive more people to trusts which would provide them more finger prints and pictures than just individuals.

Not to say the gubment actually thought that many steps ahead... but its a nice theory.

Called again today. They wouldn’t provide e mail addresses of the supervisor or transfer me to HIS supervisor. They were not happy I was asking for information.

Got the call today. Tax stamp came in, going to pick it up tomorrow.
Bought it on 1/23/19
Check cashed 2/8/19
Stamp arrived 10/18/19
Pick up tomorrow

I'm just hoping to see some trusts come through in the 90 day approval window. I purchased on 8/1/19, and would love to have my can for deer season.