• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors Gemtec Sandstorm ....

Kalman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2011
Dallas, TX
So I found several threads where lowlight said he was going to go back and test the sandstorm again to see if the POI change was a cold can POI change, or if it was first shot after mounting POI change, all around june of last year. However I can't seem to find the post where he said which one it actually was.

I'm trying to figure out which can I want for my rem 700. Also, anyone have any comments or "must reads" for this can?

Re: Gemtec Sandstorm ....

The more I have shot it the better it has gotten. I have started to like it and if I can find the video I can post a small segment I have of it.

Because it is a bit shorter than any of my other 30 cal Ti cans, its pretty good that way for longer barrels, but as I shoot it I am getting happier with it.

Took about 500 rounds for it settle in, I would have to try and find the last accuracy test I did with it, but I don;t remember it being bad at all.

Once the weather changes for the better and my AWC cans clear, I will doing a 30 cal can shoot out again. I have amassed quite a collection so it is worth shooting them all against each other again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The more I have shot it the better it has gotten. I have started to like it and if I can find the video I can post a small segment I have of it.

Because it is a bit shorter than any of my other 30 cal Ti cans, its pretty good that way for longer barrels, but as I shoot it I am getting happier with it.

Took about 500 rounds for it settle in, I would have to try and find the last accuracy test I did with it, but I don;t remember it being bad at all.

Once the weather changes for the better and my AWC cans clear, I will doing a 30 cal can shoot out again. I have amassed quite a collection so it is worth shooting them all against each other again. </div></div>

Ok thanks. I (and I'm sure others) would love to see an update. I'm a fan of short light guns, and I am leaning towards the sandstorm, but the POI first shot was worrying me.

I was testing my Sandstorm on a 20" LR308 and a 26" 6XC for first round hit/accuracy and POI shift. The 6XC managed to maintian <.5moa accuracy from 500 to 1,086 yards and .1's at 100 yards. POI shift was non-existant. The LR308 shot fair but, in all honesty, it's a factory offering that shoots .75moa at 100 yards on average.

So far, I'm happy with the Sandstorm but not so much with the HVT.

I've been happy with Gemtech and they all seem like a good bunch of guys. I played with my Sandstorm this afternoon but only had a few rounds with me today. With my AI AE zero'd with the brake, I took off the brake and put the Sandstorm on. POI was 2moa high and .5moa right from my braked zero @ 100yds and grouped about .75moa for 5 rounds.

Might have been the higher temp today or maybe there was a little velocity increase from the can (or both) but I was .5moa higher at 400yds than usual on steel. Took it back to 100yds and shot a nice 5 round group with my last rounds so very happy with my results from today and wish I would have had more rounds with me.

(Sorry for crappy phone pics, left the Canon at home)
resampled20120215145453.jpg

resampled20120215145204.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. Furthermore, never appologize about crappy phone pics to me black, I'm thankful you provided any pictures.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The more I have shot it the better it has gotten. I have started to like it and if I can find the video I can post a small segment I have of it.

Once the weather changes for the better and my AWC cans clear, I will doing a 30 cal can shoot out again. I have amassed quite a collection so it is worth shooting them all against each other again. </div></div>

Ive got quite a few 30cal cans. If you wanted to collaborate one day we could about cover them all I think. I have AWC cans in route as well. A OPS INC 3rd, Elite Iron Bravo SD and a few others in the pipeline. Just let me know!

No 762, you are cooking for us! I will bring fresh fish from the fishing trip too
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By "fish" you better mean Hookers as in the ones you stiffed Steve and I on in Vegas... </div></div>

Bahaha! I told you what hotel I was in! We were at the same place!
My bad, I should have given you my cell phone number and we could have set it up.

If you bring the shrooms I will bring the scantily clad women to the range. We can use Steve's van down by the river.

laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By "fish" you better mean Hookers as in the ones you stiffed Steve and I on in Vegas... </div></div>

Yeh...Me and Frank waited all week for them Hookers...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By "fish" you better mean Hookers as in the ones you stiffed Steve and I on in Vegas... </div></div>

Yeh...Me and Frank waited all week for them Hookers... </div></div>

Hey now we have totally derailed this thread....

I don't think your girlfriend would appreciate any hookers crawling on you Steve.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I don't think your girlfriend would appreciate any hookers crawling on you Steve. </div></div>

Maybe they were going to crawl on her too....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I don't think your girlfriend would appreciate any hookers crawling on you Steve. </div></div>

Maybe they were going to crawl on her too.... </div></div>

OH NO!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762frmafr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I don't think your girlfriend would appreciate any hookers crawling on you Steve. </div></div>

Maybe they were going to crawl on her too.... </div></div>

OH NO! </div></div>.

Oh yes!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey now we have totally derailed this thread....</div></div>
I think for the gems that have been said in this thread, it was worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Any chance of getting your paws on a good sound meter?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oddball-Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Any chance of getting your paws on a good sound meter? </div></div>

I can rent one
laugh.gif

Sound meter does not always tell you the whole story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevlars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sound meter does not always tell you the whole story. </div></div>

It tells you most of it. Occasionally there are suppressors that might sound maybe 2DB louder or more quiet than they are, but that seems to be the extent of variance from human ear to the meter.

That's the extent of the abnormal human percieved / to meter readings I've experienced anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevlars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sound meter does not always tell you the whole story. </div></div>

It tells you most of the story. But tone is going to be perceived differently from shooter to shooter.

All I can say is that I have reviewed several sites with their sound data. I will not get into what brand or start a holy war on which one is better than the other. However, I went to a demonstration and what I experienced and what the data told was completely different for both me and the other attendees.

From my research "typical" sound referencing only takes into account the highest spike of sound of the sound wave while they do not take into consideration the length of the sound, pitch and frequency.

That is why I say it does not show the entire picture-- not to say that it is not valuable-- again just not the whole picture.

smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevlars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I can say is that I have reviewed several sites with their sound data. I will not get into what brand or start a holy war on which one is better than the other. However, I went to a demonstration and what I experienced and what the data told was completely different for both me and the other attendees.

From my research "typical" sound referencing only takes into account the highest spike of sound of the sound wave while they do not take into consideration the length of the sound, pitch and frequency.

That is why I say it does not show the entire picture-- not to say that it is not valuable-- again just not the whole picture.

smile.gif

</div></div>

Just to be clear.... I am not "attacking" your credibility. So no insult intended with this:

But lets be perfectly honest. What you read on the internet and what you heard as a spectator in the crowd of many doesn't hold much light to what is really going on at the shooter's ear and immediately around him/her. You have to be at the firearm, that is after all where all the testing is done. Not 20 feet away in a crowd of people....

If someone told me to compare a Surefire 762SS and a AAC Cyclone shot for shot and what I heard. It would be two completely different stories. Do they DB the same? No, but only by a couple decibels which is about all the human ear can pickup. But do they sound the same? HECK NO! The SF has a more distinct crack where the AAC is more of a thud when resonating.

I agree .. and all impressions were as the shooter. We had 15 people and several suppressors, we all rotated to each weapon and were encouraged to write down our impressions. Once we cycled through all the suppressors (each weapon was a .308 rem 700 with the same barrel length) we reviewed the "published" sound profile. Some were accurate as to what experience, however some were way way off. As I said the sound meter only gives a part of the story and only one aspect, unless there are new technologies available.

No attack was perceived on my part .. we are just talking here. Like I said this is just my opinion and impression.

-K

I will chime in here for no reason. I own a Gemtech Quicksand. Love it. Love the suppression rate, weight, qd option, and sound from it though all my rifles.

my $0.02

After a very long wait,,, I finally picked up my first suppressor, a Sandstorm. Now I just need to find a host rifle to put it on and send the barrel to them for threading…

Sandstorm1.jpg

I love my sandstorm. I don't have any other suppressors to compare it to at the moment. But my 17 hmr will make my ears ring lightly every once in a while and even with the sandstorm on my 7/300 WSM running hot loads its still very comfortable on the ears.

I do have small poi shifts when I take the can off and then put it back on. But its usually no more then .5 moa, but its enough that I always sight the rifle back in after putting the can back on. I wish there was a tool that I could use to get it torqued on the same each time as I believe that would eliminate any poi shift after a re-install.

So sad and jealous its killin me! Waiting on my super frikkin slow stamps ggrrr!!!! Got an AWC Thor, Gemtech quicksand, sbr for my ps90, and a Yankee hill all waiting on approvals.