• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock OD green frame problems?

SquarePizza

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
NY
So I just got ahold of an OD frame and was looking through lone wolf and on their grip plug page, they warn users that the plug can damage OD green frames. Being the curious sort, I googled it and a few people mention that the green frames are more prone to cracking along the seams, but there is nothing concrete.

Does anyone have any experience, evidence, photos or this? Or a link to a discussion thread?

I have two OD Glock's a 34 and a 19 and both of them have grip plugs and I have no issues. The grip plugs have been in for at least a year and the 34 I have owned and shot regularly for the last 4 years or so. The 34 is from the original batch the 19 is from this most recent and I got it in November of last year.

Added color pigment in the polymer can and does change the strength of the frame. It has been proven in testing by other poly frame firearms manufacturers. That said, it DOES NOT substantially weaken the polymer. At least according to what was explained to me at one time. Basically, the OD polymer frame failed (crack) at a temp point way below what I would ever want (and one that Global Warming will keep me from ever being) exposed to.
The internet is a magical place isn't it? If a person can google it then it must be a raging problem that thousands of people are having, right?
OMG! Why am I, the Anti-Glock, defending them? :)

I didn't figure it was much of an issue since I could not turn up photographs of broken frames. I figured I would ask some of the more experienced and trusted users. =)

This is the first time I have ever even touched a glock, let alone owned a pistol that wasn't a wheel gun... you know... I kinda like the koolaid. Its not going to replace my 686, but I sure do like it alot more than I ever thought possible!

If anyone has a problem with their OD frame, please sell me your OD Glocks. I don't know what it is about them, but I miss mine that I sold. If OD green guns were available blue label, I'd probably own a whole bunch.

they just ran another batch of od guns a couple months ago. i might be able to find them new again on deal shelves. out of luck on blue label though

Why would alone use a grip plug?

There is no danger of using OD vs black or FDE or whatever.

The only thing you should be weary of , us leaving the gun out where it gets direct sunlight, like on a shelf or windowsill. UV rays break down polymers over time (were talking years here)

Last edited:
Why would alone use a grip plug?

There is no danger of using OD vs black or FDE or whatever.

The only thing you should be weary of , us leaving the gun out where it gets direct sunlight, like on a shelf or windowseal. UV rays break down polymers over time (were talking years here)

This is very true, but some are affected more than others, and some polymers are (near) completely UV resistant. They have been getting better each year (on an industry scale, not talking about Glock specifically), so significantly older polymer guns may be more likely to have issues, but the difference between the first colored Glocks and current is not very much.