• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes got the cash, help me pick a scope for my 338 lm

muscles

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2005
ut
ok...so I'm new to this and am looking for your advice. any input would be appreciated. i bought a savage .338 lapua mag (the HS version), and need to scope it. i have exactly $2000 to spend, but am not sure i want to burn it all on a scope. the options that i am aware of range from the following (prices are estimates):

vortex viper PST FFP 6-24x50 $900
bushnell elite 6500 4.5-30x50 $800
bushnell hdmr 3.5-21x50 $1300
leopold mark4 8.5-25x50 $1300
SWFA 5-20x50 $1300
nightforce 5.5-22x50/56 $1700

i realize that there are many many options. please feel free to make recommendations that i have missed. any portion of the $2000 that i don't spend on a scope will go towards 20 moa base, rings & ammo. I'm tempted to go with the vortex and purchase ammo and reloading gear with the rest, but i also understand the buy once, cry once perspective. the blm range that i shoot at goes out to 1600 yards with steel targets.

you all are far more experienced in long range shooting, so i would really like your feedback. thanks in advance!

Re: got the cash, help me pick a scope for my 338 lm

NightForce NXS 5.5-22x NP-R1 with zero stop for the win!

If you'll be shooting during times of low lighting, opt for the 56mm as it will gather a little more light than the 50mm.

If you don't know which, you have much to learn.

Buy the Nightforce and at least you'll be able to sell it for most of what you paid once you figure out your needs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bob L. Swagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nightforce C348 - Use the whole budget.

http://www.eurooptic.com/nightforce-nxs-8-32x56-25-moa-zero-stop-np-r1-c348.aspx </div></div>

I would not get this for a 338 due to the limited elevation travel.

Of the list, I would go 5-22 NXS or the SWFA 5-20. I've got 3 of the SS and they are a great deal and in my comparisons they were brighter than the Nightforce's. The NXS is bullet proof no doubt, but I've heard of no one having SWFA SS issues either.

What you want is the night force 5-22x56 with mlr reticle mil/mil model c237

Personally for a 338LM, I would recommend the reverse and say spec/price out & buy your reloading set up first, then see how much you want are willing to spend on an optic after.

If you want to put 20 quality rounds downrange everytime you take it out, BH or FGMM will run you at least $100 a box. If you reload this brass, get only 5 shots per shell, estimate 75c to reload, 100 rounds will run you $160. If you only shoot commercial, 100 rounds will run $500.

First 200 rounds, the reloading gear pays itself off. Every shot after, you'll realize that's another $3.50 you could have put toward a scope.

Different story if you expect to put 20 rounds downrange per year...

Keep your eyes open for post SHOT SHOW sales and specials.

I have two of the 5-20x50 illuminated Super Snipers. While the Nightforce has ultra reliable mechanicals the glass seems less than ideal. Top of the food chain is Heinsoldt the tactical Zeiss scope or a Premier with U.S.Optics and Schmidt Bender not far behind. I know that for not that much more I would way rather have a U. S. Optics than a Nightforce but if you buy the 5-20x50 Super Sniper it s a rock solid scope with great glass so you wont be disappointed, and I would probably go with the non illuminated model. A 338 Lapua is terribly expensive to feed ammo to so you better start to reload if you dont already. The Vortex Viper that I ordered in seemed a bit light weight didnt really have that rock solid feel that the Super Sniper has.

I was looking at a few of the same scopes you were. My main choice was between the Vortex and SWFA.

I found an illuminated SWFA 5-20HD NIB locally for the same price as a new non illuminated. After holding it and checking it out I scooped it up. So far I am very happy with it, but it hasn't even been mounted yet so take that for what it's worth.

I don't think i'm going to regret my decision.

My vote gets the nightforce 5.5-22x50 ZS, NPR2 reticule

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NightForce NXS 5.5-22x NP-R1 with zero stop for the win!

If you'll be shooting during times of low lighting, opt for the 56mm as it will gather a little more light than the 50mm. </div></div>

+1 for the NF, but don't go the 8-32x route due to limited elevation. I have the BR version (50 moa rather than the NXS 65 moa) and will probably trade it in for a 5-22x. Another issue I have is that I rarely put the magnification on anything more than 20-25x due to mirage. But I guess that's what I get for living in hot and humid Georgia, haha.

Also the surface area of the 50mm objective is 1962.5mm^2 and the 56mm surface area is 2461.76mm^2. That means roughly 25% more area for light to hit that front glass. Now I have no idea if there is a direct correlation to brightness and clarity but, it is something to think about....

Sightron SIII 6-24 OR 8-32, I don't regret going with mine vs the NF, having shot behind an nxs. Though you can't say you own a nf, if that matters to you...

How about the new leupy vx6 4-24x52 with a 34mm tube, just being released, but worth a look I'd imagine.

NF nxs 5.5-22x56. you have 100moa of adj. and there is one for sale on the forum that i just saw by a guy in austin, tx. heck it gives you room to buy the NF rings that have moa built in since you will probably be doing do long range shooting with a 338lm. I dont know if your top rail has moa built in.

I would go with NF NXS 5.5-22x56 Zero Stop High Speed Turrets with Milrad turrets and Milrad reticle. or MOA turrets and MOA reticle

I say this because I own Leupold and NightForce and have MOA and Milrad. Although Leupold will get it done NightForce IMHO is just better made. the only real decision you need to make is FFP or SFP-- if you have the money I would go FFP--

I am a true believer in buy once cry once.

My FFP Vortex is great (bought it here), well constructed and the glass is very good - but I'm shooting a 308 and you are going further. In your case go with the NF, it will do what you need.

I had a 5.5-22 NF on my 338 Lapua. Loved it until I got into tac comps with the 308 barrel. Then I needed FFP. Replaced with a SS. Very happy.

IMO either of these two is a great choice, but the SS is lots cheaper esp if you get one in the used section here. As someone else said, use the rest for reloading equipment.

You're in an expensive caliber. Buying retail nobody does for 338LM... at $6 a round you just can't pull the trigger without wincing. A reloading setup starting from scratch is going to be at least $500 (I spent $1k at Midway just getting basics set up). Then each round will be $1-2 to load roughly.

Scope on 338LM is critical if you are going to shoot from 1k-2k yards. I have an S&B PMII 5-25x and I need ALL of it's light gathering, optic sharpness, and elevation capability past 1500 yards. I'd spend the whole $2K on scope with FFP, 25x, 80-100MOA elevation capability, and proven super consistent controls. Then wait until you have more money for a Spuhr mount to get you the additional MOA on the base that you'll need. Then wait for money to buy tools, brass, powder to start reloading.

I would go with the NightForce NXS 5.5-22x50 or NXS 5.5-22x56 hands down. I agree with the other who warned about the NF NXS 8-32 and its limited elevation adjustment. Good luck with your purchase.

I have a 5.5-22x56 nxs on my Savage 338LM and love it. But I also agree with the statements about reloading. The Lapua is a beast to buy ammo for. I save money reloading and I really like it. My handloads have grouped as small as 1.6" 3-shot group at 1000 yards. You may want to look into getting a reloading setup and the going with the Vortex which is also a very nice scope.

I have viper on all my other setups they are great scopes I compare them with a Leupy M4 which is why I got my first viper but thats on my 308. On my savage I def suggest NF and all the guys that bash the 8-32 I just dont get it your getting another 10 in Magnification which weather usable or not its nice to have the option and with the 8-32 you get the option for .125 MOA oppose to .250 MOA so yeah you have 65 MOA but with .125 increments gives you a finer adjustment for accuracy.. Either way the 5.5-22 or the 8-32 are both great choices but from talking to alot of guys shooting 338 and 1000yds++ they all seem to be going the 8-32 route. I am new to this so i dont have much time with the 338 but I def love my NF hands down.. Also what about the Vortex Razor??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muscles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok...so I'm new to this and am looking for your advice. any input would be appreciated. i bought a savage .338 lapua mag (the HS version), and need to scope it. i have exactly $2000 to spend, but am not sure i want to burn it all on a scope. the options that i am aware of range from the following (prices are estimates):

vortex viper PST FFP 6-24x50 $900
bushnell elite 6500 4.5-30x50 $800
bushnell hdmr 3.5-21x50 $1300
leopold mark4 8.5-25x50 $1300
SWFA 5-20x50 $1300
nightforce 5.5-22x50/56 $1700

i realize that there are many many options. please feel free to make recommendations that i have missed. any portion of the $2000 that i don't spend on a scope will go towards 20 moa base, rings & ammo. I'm tempted to go with the vortex and purchase ammo and reloading gear with the rest, but i also understand the buy once, cry once perspective. the blm range that i shoot at goes out to 1600 yards with steel targets.

you all are far more experienced in long range shooting, so i would really like your feedback. thanks in advance!

</div></div>

First, I am a huge fan of Vortex and the PST is a great value. Second, I feel the NF is the best scope on that list. I feel that there are better "optics" out there, but I also feel that NF are some of the very best "gun sights" you can buy. I think the Vortex would serve you fine but if you want one of the toughest scopes with very good glass go with Nightforce and there's no question that the scope will last through anything you'll likely put it through. Plus, the NF will give you more adjustment that you'll likely need on a 338lm.

thanks for all of the recommendations and reasons behind them. problem is, i live in a rural area a few hours away from any scope store...so i haven't had the ability to look through different models. makes it a hard decision.

also, i fully plan on reloading. i will be purchasing an initial batch from dallasreloads.com. after that, i plan on working up loads on my single stage press using the initial brass after firing the first 100. i realize that it is an expensive caliber from a retail perspective. ill pick up the dies and some components this weekend.

im gonna try to get up to a shop this weekend and make a decision. again, i appreciate your help thus far!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muscles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for all of the recommendations and reasons behind them. problem is, i live in a rural area a few hours away from any scope store...so i haven't had the ability to look through different models. makes it a hard decision.

also, i fully plan on reloading. i will be purchasing an initial batch from dallasreloads.com. after that, i plan on working up loads on my single stage press using the initial brass after firing the first 100. i realize that it is an expensive caliber from a retail perspective. ill pick up the dies and some components this weekend.

im gonna try to get up to a shop this weekend and make a decision. again, i appreciate your help thus far! </div></div>

U may call Scott at Liberty Optics, he might have a scope he could send you to check out.

I still think getting into reloading first is clutch for 338LM and glad I wasn't the only goofball who said that.
smile.gif

If you're far from dealers and can't look thru any yourself, you're stuck getting subjective replies based on our personal preferences--something that happens too often.

I re-read your scope options above and realized you are all over the map re: features and applications. Maybe we can give you better objective opinions if you describe your needs & preferences. What's your thoughts on items like...

- Mil vs MOA?
- Busy vs simple reticle?
- Thick vs thin reticle?
- Zero stop? High speed? More tactical clicks?
- Illumination?
- Importance of low-light performance?
- Parallax - AO, ST or either?
- Are you a glass quality whore willing to pay top $ for that extra 'pop' in the image?
- Are you firm at least 20x top end is a must?
- Does it matter where it was made? Some folk are adamant it must be 'made in USA'
- You listed both SFP and FFP scopes -- what's your stance on FFP?

Hope this helps spur discussion in the best direction for you to make an informed blind decision

What's the point of a 338LM if you don't have the glass to back it up?

I say spend the money and get the NF. I tried going the less expensive route and spent more time and money just to finally end up with the NF when it was all said and done.

Parker

I'd say go nightforce or a us optics. Looked through the classified section and pick up a used scope. You'll get a good deal on something in your price range. I had a few 338LM rifles. I used a Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56, USO 3.8-22x58, US 3.2-17x44 and IOR 3.5-18x50 on them. The best was the S&B but it is out of your price range. Second best (and a very close second) was the USO. They both performed very well. I picked up all my scopes (except for the S&B) used from here. The IOR performed very well as well. I liked the higher magnifications so I liked the S&B and USO the most.

If you must buy new, check out the IOR 6-24x56. It is Mill/Mill, lit, FFP and comes with rings. Rings are good, you can always sell them and buy something better. Just make sure you don't over tighten them. http://swfa.com/IOR-6-24x56-Tactical-35mm-Rifle-Scope-P47553.aspx
They also have a 6-24x50 scope. http://swfa.com/IOR-6-24x50-Tactical-35mm-Rifle-Scope-P8947.aspx
(I have nothing to do with IOR or SWFA)

alright. i decided to go with the vortex viper pst 6-24x50 mrad. i realize that it isn't the best optic on the list. i did it to get me started, and to focus on ammo. found it in stock at primary arms. i plan on ordering 100 rounds from dallasreloads.com and i bought a box of hsm 300 gr to get me on paper.

now, i need a 20 moa base and some 30mm rings.

if after 120 rounds i don't like the pst, i'll move it down to my 30.06 and get the nightforce. thx again for all of your help. ill post pics and a range report after sight in.

So I'm new and I probably don't hold any clout here but my vote is for NF. I own four and I love them all. I've had 7 total, some I have sold to upgrade on newer models. I've been at the range with all the best and I have looked through and shot many, and for the price I feel u can't beat them. One thing is for sure. They will never let u down when it comes to functionality and dependability. Also the world record lond distance set with the cheytac had a Nightforce on it. Hope this helps

Wow sorry didn't realize you already made up your mind good luck with the Vortex, I was a Swarovski rep and vortex was always brought up when it came to warranty, can't beat it.

looks like someone is going to cry twice!LOL J/K make sure to tell us how you like it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muscles</div><div class="ubbcode-body">alright. i decided to go with the vortex viper pst 6-24x50 mrad. i realize that it isn't the best optic on the list. i did it to get me started, and to focus on ammo. </div></div>

Solid choice.

I have the USO T-Pal 5X25 on my 338 Lapua, no regrets.