• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Greetings from San Diego

ksu395

Private
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2013
Poway, CA
As many of you are likely aware, the fine state of California is in the process of banning the sale/transfer of all semi-auto centerfire rifles with detachable mags. Barring some unforeseen miracle, this will become effective Jan 1, 2014. So, even though I am just getting (re)started in rifle shooting, this year I needed to acquire any/all of these type of weapons that I might conceivably need/want for the rest of my life (not planning to move). To this end, I have recently purchased several AR-15s, a couple of stripped lowers, and even an LMT .308.

Now that my gun safe is well stocked, I need to step back and work on the fundamentals. Any recommendations on which .22 platform to start with? Specifically, should I look at bolt-action, a classic like Ruger 10/22, or an AR upper for consistency of platform?

I realize that I have a long learning curve ahead of me, but I am looking forward to the journey!

Welcome! Go with both, an AR upper for building skills with reduced training costs, and a bolt gun for fundamentals and accuracy. Save the 10/22 for plinking unless you're going with a full on Kidd build.